Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-25-2019, 02:20 PM

Default Wildlife Encounters

Was curious if any of you guys have some interesting outdoor encounters you would like to share?

Ill start out. Nothing too interesting. I was 14 one of the first times out deer hunting with the old man, we were walking coulees peeking over the edges around sunset. We pop over one coulee and see some deer coming towards us so we sit down and see what they do. The deer eventually see us but cant quite make out what we are due to the sun being directly behind us and in the deer's eyes. The deer cautiously advance, I move slightly and suddenly start barking and hissing at us. I probably sat there with the old man for about 5 minutes watching them hiss, stomp, bark and trying to do anything to get us to move or show what we are. Eventually we stand up and they take off into the depths of the Coulee. I've heard lots of deer hissing and barking now, but for 14 years of my life I thought grunting during the rut was the only sound they could make.

Another good one is my brother falling asleep under a tree and waking up to a black bear smelling him..
Old 06-25-2019, 03:03 PM

Here’s a good read for you
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...hlight=Ostrich
Old 06-25-2019, 03:04 PM

I didn't know geese hissed until I started golfing. My buddy gets scared he won't go near them just drops a new ball.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:29 PM

Another good read
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ge+things+bush
Old 06-25-2019, 03:39 PM

Thanks for the links Moose.

Just thought of another one. Was staying in Fernie for work and saw a moose in the courtyard eating a young poplar with christmas lights in it. Well the moose got tangled in the lights, what followed was a few minutes of it trying to wiggle free. Eventually the moose had enough and lost it on that poor tree breaking it in half setting himself free.

A sadder one that also happened in Fernie was a Cow Moose and Calf were feeding on HWY 3s ditch just outside of town. They were pretty close to the road, I wanted to stop and see if I could spook them away but I had to get to work. On the way home from work the Calf was road kill in the ditch
Old 06-25-2019, 04:35 PM
Banned

I was camping at wolf lake about 15yrs ago. We were in our campsite and cooked up some fish for supper in my Grizzly frying pan. After the fish was finished cooking I served it up then put the pan on the splitting block about 5 feet from the picnic table, then sat down to eat.

We were almost finished our meal when we heard something coming through the woods. First thought was obviously a bear so we were getting ready to bolt. Our son was only 2 or 3 years old at the time so we weren’t going to take any chances, but as I was looking through the woods I seen it was a whitetail doe. We stayed seated at the picnic table and let the doe come into our site. She went straight for my frying pan and proceeded to lick the butter/lard and crumbs from the pan right next to us, literally no more than 5 feet from where my wife and son were sitting. I have a picture of it.

Another time I had a cow elk trying to eat my yellow cherries off our picnic table, but that was in jasper park so it wasn’t too unexpected.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I was camping at wolf lake about 15yrs ago. We were in our campsite and cooked up some fish for supper in my Grizzly frying pan. After the fish was finished cooking I served it up then put the pan on the splitting block about 5 feet from the picnic table, then sat down to eat.

We were almost finished our meal when we heard something coming through the woods. First thought was obviously a bear so we were getting ready to bolt. Our son was only 2 or 3 years old at the time so we weren’t going to take any chances, but as I was looking through the woods I seen it was a whitetail doe. We stayed seated at the picnic table and let the doe come into our site. She went straight for my frying pan and proceeded to lick the butter/lard and crumbs from the pan right next to us, literally no more than 5 feet from where my wife and son were sitting. I have a picture of it.

Another time I had a cow elk trying to eat my yellow cherries off our picnic table, but that was in jasper park so it wasn’t too unexpected.
Same thing happened to me at Haig lake east of peace river. But it was the old native trappers horse that was licking the pan. About 25 years back.
Old 06-25-2019, 04:48 PM

When I took Incredigirl out camping on our honeymoon, we stopped at Miette Hot Springs. We decided to have lunch at the picnic tables near the pool, and as we sat there, the pesky bighorn sheep tried to nose in on our lunch bag.

Now, those of you that know me, know that I have a reputation for rank wind (thank you, Crohn's!)

However, up until that point, Incredigirl had been spared the experience - I was always very discreet when relieving the pressure during our courtship.

Seeing that our attempts to shoo the sheep away from our lunch spot were futile, I stood up, turned to Incredigirl, and in a somber tone declared: "For what I am about to do, I apologize in advance."

Then, with the sheep directly behind me, I let loose with a single burst of epic post-wedding-dinner flatulence.

Not a word of a lie... The sheep perked up, gave a most disgusted look, and trotted off to the far side of the picnic area, leaving us to eat in peace.

I could tell that Incredigirl was impressed.

To quote my hero, Red Green, "If they don't find you handsome, they may as well find you handy!"
Old 06-25-2019, 04:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talking moose View Post
Same thing happened to me at Haig lake east of peace river. But it was the old native trappers horse that was licking the pan. About 25 years back.
Hmmmm, sounds like I’m not the only one who knows how to cook up a mean batch of fish!
Old 06-25-2019, 05:08 PM

About 1975 I worked on a seismic survey crew by Ft. St.John BC we were running levels down a cut line.
I was holding the rod about 200 ft. down the line from Randy who was looking through the level when a huge cougar jumped out of the bush about 20 feet behind him.
I started frantically started waving the rod and pointing Randy looked at me like I was nuts shrugging his shoulders meanwhile the cougar had enough of us and continued on his way across the cut line, Randy finally turned around to see the cougar's tail disappear into the bush. The tracks left were huge, Randy looked over shoulder very frequently after that.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:33 PM

Oh ya, fed a pack of wolves sandwich’s out the crew truck window in the early 90’s down the chinchaga. Every day for about a week. They would come 20 feet from the truck to get them.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:34 PM

I've had a number of bad experiences with beaver in my life but won't go into details here.
Old 06-25-2019, 06:46 PM

Wink not mine, too clean

Does captive wildlife count?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg elephant surprise.jpg (112.7 KB, 134 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 06-25-2019, 07:17 PM

I was 12 and got a predator call for Christmas

The next season i got to go out moose hunting with my father and his friend

I decided to sit by a brushpile as they walked down a cutline

After they were out of sight I began chirping on my predator caller

About 2 hrs later they came walking back and they both stopped at about 80 yds. My father raised his rifle and it seemed like he was pointing it at me. I moved my head to the side and then i felt the whole side of my face shake suddenly

My father had off hand shot a lynx behind me. He shot so close to my face that my face felt like it rippled. I had unknowingly called that lynx in. Never heard it behind me nor do I recall hearing my fathers rifle shot

Open sighted 30-06 Remington semi auto. Good thing it was sighted in and he wasn’t drunk
Old 06-25-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
I was 12 and got a predator call for Christmas

The next season i got to go out moose hunting with my father and his friend

I decided to sit by a brushpile as they walked down a cutline

After they were out of sight I began chirping on my predator caller

About 2 hrs later they came walking back and they both stopped at about 80 yds. My father raised his rifle and it seemed like he was pointing it at me. I moved my head to the side and then i felt the whole side of my face shake suddenly

My father had off hand shot a lynx behind me. He shot so close to my face that my face felt like it rippled. I had unknowingly called that lynx in. Never heard it behind me nor do I recall hearing my fathers rifle shot

Open sighted 30-06 Remington semi auto. Good thing it was sighted in and he wasn’t drunk

Maybe he WAS aiming at you. Missed and hit a lynx.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
I've had a number of bad experiences with beaver in my life but won't go into details here.
You must be doing it WRONG
Old 06-25-2019, 08:40 PM
Banned

One of most fondest memories was when I was doing some bow hunting. In total camo (hugo boss) a doe and her fawn come within 5 ft of me sitting against a tree. Doe sees my eyes and KICKS OFF immediately..the fawn moved in closer, like 3 feet away, we were eye to eye, nose to nose, what an incredible moment, I burst out laffing because it was surreal...little fawn buggered off in a hurry PRICELESS <3
Old 06-25-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Maybe he WAS aiming at you. Missed and hit a lynx.
Likely EXACTLY what happened!!!! I wouldn’t put it past him
Old 06-25-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
You must be doing it WRONG

I'm not too proud to admit it. Doing it right would require caring and fondness.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBoBandy View Post
One of most fondest memories was when I was doing some bow hunting. In total camo (hugo boss)

White frame sunglasses, bubble tea in the thermos, and shooting a .243 ???
Old 06-25-2019, 10:10 PM

The first time I went bow hunting and learning the ropes of elk hunting with my dad was an experience I’ll never forget. After he explained how it was hopefully going to go down with the elk lay if the land bedding/feeding areas etc. He set me up in front of a willow bush maybe 4-5’ tall. He went cross wind and proceeded to call a little. A small four point bull came in down wind busted us and left the country. A short while later a spike came in and stood there 20yards away for a minute or two and wandered into the bush. A few more calls a nice five point that I never did see because it came in directly behind me. My heart was pounding so hard I knew he was looking over the bush at me a foot or two away. I’m sure he heard it pounding or seen me shaking uncontrollably and with a big exhale through his nose he turned and run off. My dad was laughing at me from his vantage point he seen the look on both of our faces and watched him blow his Nose over the back of my head and neck GROSS elk snot.
To top it all off he called in four more bulls that day and eventually he killed a nice little bull with a five yard shot. Probably my favourite hunting day and memory I’ve got.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:01 AM

Several years ago I was working in the bush west of Conklin in the dead of winter.

I had never seen a lynx in the wild before and one day I saw something cross the road several hundred yards ahead.

Upon finding the tracks, I decided to follow them into the woods through the deep snow.

Very shortly in, I saw my very first lynx. It was sitting under a spruce tree about 40 yards away with its back to me. It was absolutely unconcerned with my presence. Entirely focused on something to its right.

I quickly snapped some crappy cell phone pics, then decided to try and see what the bugger was so interested in.

Well, it was looking at its litter mate... sitting calmly about 15’ away from me! I managed to get a single pic before it bolted and full on tackled his buddy. Full on fur/snow ball of kittens playing!

Perhaps the coolest thing I’ve seen.

Tree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-26-2019, 08:14 AM

A couple years ago back in Sask I had an either sex moose draw in the farmland zone right around home in central Sask. A buddy and I had seen several moose that morning just cruising the roads. One moose in particular was only 100 yards off the road in a small bush maybe 2 times the size of a pick up truck. We drove out to the bush and the moose just stood there would not move at all. We honked the horn we yelled at it all from about 20 yards away. It was a young bull maybe 2 years old and both of its horns were knocked clear off at the base. We drove around the other side of the bush still with the moose not moving. From the other side we could see a huge gash about 18” long on its back that was oozing with yellowish/green puss. We then backed away and left it alone and tried to contact the CO to report it and seek permission to put it down. It was a couple of hours and still no call back from the local CO. So I made a phone call to my buddy who is a CO in a different area of the province. He gave us permission to put it down and just asked for us to send some pictures of the wound and the head with missing horns. So buddy and I drove back to the same bush and the moose was bedded down now. We hoped out of the truck loaded the gun and took a few steps towards the moose to have a clear head shot. In a split second that moose was out of his bed and at full charge towards us. No time to take aim so I did the old western shoot from the hip and shot the moose at 10 yards right between the eyes. WOW was the heart ever racing after that. We had to roll it over to see the wound and wow did that moose smell rank. Took some pictures and sent them in to buddy the CO and he figured it had been hit by a vehicle or semi. That young bull was definitely suffering and would not have made it much longer I’m sure.
Old 06-26-2019, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Four legged type?
Old 06-26-2019, 07:05 PM

a Long time ago, I was walking into a bush, before legal light deer hunting, sat down on a deer trail, then a doe must of heard me walking in, she came up to me about a foot from my face, then she must of sensed me then turned a ran about 40 yards from me and just watched me, legal light came and she was still watching me, then had enough of me a walked off.
Old 06-26-2019, 07:30 PM

Seen 3 bears in ministik couple September’s ago during bow season, one was pretty good sized too. Kinda surprised the hell outa me as I heard rumblings of some in the area but never seen them myself until that day.

Coolest moment I ever had was sitting on a fields edge in some long grass when a couple mulies with two sets of twins cautiously walked out in front of me. The does fed approx 50yrds in front of me, while two of the fawns bedded down slightly out of arms reach. The fawns never took their eyes off of me for a good 15 minutes but never spooked as I was probably the first human they’ve seen or encountered.

Last edited by Skoaltender; 06-26-2019 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:40 PM

hunting down in the Porcupines maybe 25 or 30 years ago before they put in the stadium seating. late november snowfall and my buddy and I came across some huge tracks in the new snow, kind of like a lone elk but way bigger, we thought we were on the trail of the biggest elk ever seen anywhere.
So we tromped through the snow for quite a while not willing to give up on the trail and finally we came out into a little clearing with 1 tree in the middle of the clearing, and as we entered the clearing, from underneath the tree a big mound of snow suddenly stood up, shook itself and underneath the snow was a huge big bull buffalo!! No idea where it came from and no idea where it eventually went but a pretty cool experience to meet up out in the woods on a snowy day.
Old 06-26-2019, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PartTimeHunter View Post
Four legged type?

Umm. Not that I can recall but I had my share of foggy nights.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:05 PM

On several occasions while calling moose in the evening during the rut I have had black bears sneak into my call area. When they realized I wasn’t a moose they always bolted away as fast as they could. Talk about an adrenaline rush!

When they’re on the sneak they don’t make a sound.

BW
Old 06-26-2019, 09:55 PM

Cool thread guys, keep em coming. Being a rural boy and spending just about all my childhood outside and as much of my adult life as possible, it never gets old watching wildlife unaware of your presence. Young animals at play are my favorite. I swear the old does are laughing watching the young ones rippin around or a gang of baby foxes having wrestle mania on an old wood pile. Always makes a crusty old dude crack a smile.