Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 06-25-2019, 06:05 PM

Default Summer Tire Choices

Added this to the general but covering my bases. Have winter tires just need summer ones to mount on spare rims . Some off road across farm pastures , dirt fields , some mud areas but not extreme ,ETC . To check my sites for preparing for season , clean trails etc. My tire size is LT.265/75 R16 . The 4 Tires I'm considering are Cooper Discoverer A/T3 , Bridgestone Dueller Revo 3 , Goodyear AT Adventure , Toyo Open Country AT 11 . Any recommendations as far as experience with performance ,wear ETC, on these tires appreciated .
Old 06-25-2019, 06:06 PM

Default Tires

Can't Remember the tire guy on the forum out of Calgary
Old 07-22-2019, 01:55 PM

cooper AT3 are a great tire, last a long time, good price, do better than I would've expected in mud and snow. I have had them on my last 2 trucks, I run them year round, if money was not an issue I would get some duratracs for the winter
Old 07-22-2019, 05:00 PM

Tirebob is the tire guy on AO. I ran Toyo Open Country all seasons for a long time on my 97 F350 powerstroke. Good all around tire imo.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:05 AM

Toyo AT II’s lasted less then 30,000km on my Chevy diesel. Great tire new, but wore super fast. Likely a better tire for 1/2tons. I switched to M55s and no regrets.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:30 AM

Default tires

I run only one set of tires all year. Try to find tires with good rugged grip and that also wear well in summer driving. Much more simple than having two sets of tires/rims, your 4x4 makes up for little less grip in winter.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:31 AM

I run Duratracs from Canadian Tire all year round. About $650 as set on sale and after the CT bonus bucks for 16", last about 90,000 Klms a set on a 2500 long box Dodge (Very Heavy truck). Great off road traction, good traction on road winter or summer. I hate changing tires over and having to store the second set. These are snowflake M/S so good in B.C. in the winter too.

Last edited by Dean2; 07-24-2019 at 11:38 AM.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:08 PM

I have Nokian Rockproof tyres on a a 2500 long wheel base 2 wd. They are hard rubber/commercial tyre and have got me out of spots I had no business being in. They are horrible on sand and will not run them on ice but they are insane in the mud. Slight howl on the highway when new of course
Old 07-25-2019, 09:12 AM

Default tires

Agree with Dean, just picked up some replacement Duratracs which I run All year round, great in mud and snow and limited wear in summer. At $200 a tire cannot go wrong at Canadian tire.
Old 07-27-2019, 10:30 PM

Have used many tires over the years with varying degrees of results. This spring a local farmer who’s land I trap on introduced me to a great tire. I do a lot of problem trapping for beaver and with the wet year we’re having it has been a perfect year to test them. The tires work great in some of the worst mud conditions. Hardly ever had to put truck in 4 wheel and when I did just walked right thru. Only had to be pulled out once due to my stupidity ( going where I new I shouldn’t). I’ve put 30,000 km on them with little wear and tires make average road noise. These are a mud tire for summer only and best of all they come with road hazard protection. This 10 ply tire is the Sailun Terramax M/T. I found the best deal at the Delburne tire shop. I paid $249@ installed.
Old 07-28-2019, 07:55 AM
AO Sponsor

Wow! I'm on the same page as you guys! Goodyear Duratracks! Awesome tires, the very best I've used in 2,000,000 truck kilometres.

And I'm with you, one set a year, put them on before the weather gets snotty, drive the good edge off them in winter, wear them the rest of the way in summer. I also stud for extra safety on winter ice.

Second truck, I don't use as much, so I take off the like new tires for summer, and drive it on long trips in summer on smooth riding tires.
Old 08-02-2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Wow! I'm on the same page as you guys! Goodyear Duratracks! Awesome tires, the very best I've used in 2,000,000 truck kilometres.

And I'm with you, one set a year, put them on before the weather gets snotty, drive the good edge off them in winter, wear them the rest of the way in summer. I also stud for extra safety on winter ice.

Second truck, I don't use as much, so I take off the like new tires for summer, and drive it on long trips in summer on smooth riding tires.
You’ve had better luck than me with duratracs. I have 2 sets for my 3/4ton truck at work. One studded 245 wide and unstuffed 265 wide. Both 17” rims. I can’t stand either. Way better options out there for a winter tire and I find the lugs get plugged up with mud and don’t clear out so you end up with a racing slick. Noise doesn’t bother me as the truck make enough rattling to cover that. So far probably about 15000 miles on each set and of say 1/3 tread is gone from both. The studs aren’t very useful anymore and I may just try to pull them this fall...