Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-11-2019, 11:32 AM
AO Sponsor

Default Ice Beaver

How many are suffer from post kiyute season depression??? Anybody attempting to deal with such anxiety/condition by taking some under ice beaver?

Let’s hear it. Talking about your problem might be a good healthy first step on your road to recovery!
Old 03-11-2019, 03:50 PM

Yup...but with an added incentive of it being ADC work. Castor sacks are full!
Old 03-11-2019, 06:11 PM

ADC work and prime/full castors would get me cutting ice.......was thinking of going out anyways.

Can only handle so much downtime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-12-2019, 06:29 AM

Muskrat broke through the ice at my place yesterday & was wondering around the yard - Westlock area.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:48 PM

What’s your guys advice at targeting beaver under ice would finding the run by lodge an putting snares down first time trapping under ice beaver how hard is it on a chain saw on cuttin the ice or would using a bar be a better idea ?
Old 03-12-2019, 02:13 PM
Banned

I'll be trapping a couple of dozen to cover the number of carcasses that bear hunters want. I averaged $17 on my beaver last auction and I had nothing smaller than a couple of Large. One 2XXL went Top Lot and sold for $25. I enjoy the nice weather and a little physical labour but I won't be going nuts trying to catch more than the carcasses that I can sell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreys 21234 View Post
What’s your guys advice at targeting beaver under ice would finding the run by lodge an putting snares down first time trapping under ice beaver how hard is it on a chain saw on cuttin the ice or would using a bar be a better idea ?
There's an excellent thread from a few years ago that TFNG and I were the main contributors on and many experienced Trappers provided advice. If you can find it it's worth a read.

Use 330's at the lodge entrance and if you want to use snares use a bait pole near the feed bed. Unless your into a good work out, use your chainsaw and forget about chopping all that ice with a bar. I don't find the ice any harder on the chain than wood but if you find dirt with the tip it's going to dull it fast.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:33 PM

Ok awsome info thanks Dave
Old 03-13-2019, 02:01 PM

I'm not trying to come across as a know it all or anything like that...Just my 2 cents...

Consider that late beaver under ice have a good chance of being downgraded pelt wise at auction because the long guard hairs will be singed. Castor and carcass value plus a lesser pelt value make it still worth taking a few for management purposes.

IMO only... I'm not knocking trapping late beaver for management purposes, to earn some cash from the pelts and other valuable parts, I'm just saying that to realize the best grade of beaver pelt and top lot pelts at auction late March is too late to trap top fur. Trapping is about producing quality fur, not just catching fur. This is why their is a fur primeness chart.

I used to catch late under ice and spring beaver and it is a nice time to be out. But that was long before I really understood producing quality fur and the management aspects of trapping an area.

This time of year females will have been bred so if you catch a few females you know will affect a beaver colony's population in spring. An excerpt from the 2007 trapping manual.." A colony usually produces only one litter per year, and that by the dominant pair."

The 2007 trappers manual's write up on beaver is worth the read on management strategies.
http://www.albertatrappers.com/pdf/e...al_109-114.pdf

My logic behind not catching pregnant beavers is also the same reason I don't hunt deer in spring and summer, or hunt birds when they are nesting or fish when fish spawn. Replenishing the species is why fur is considered a renewable resource.
~~~~~~
As far as using a chainsaw to cut holes don't use regular chain oil because it will contaminate the set area and water. biodegradable oil if any. Dry your saw really good after to avoid rusting too. A chainsaw in front of a lodge is very intrusive and might affect the colonies activities for a day or two.

A good ice chisel doesn't need anything except a little gumption. Less chance of accidental injuries with a chisel too, which is important when out on the land. And you can get thru thicker ice with a chisel.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-13-2019, 03:00 PM

Some good point Also red I’m gonna to take a look at the link u posted after work today an cheaker out the beaver trapping I’ll be doing will be to supply a outfitting business for bait plus it’s more damage control for the farmers lands I trap for yotes
Old 03-13-2019, 03:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
IMO only... I'm not knocking trapping late beaver for management purposes, to earn some cash from the pelts and other valuable parts, I'm just saying that to realize the best grade of beaver pelt and top lot pelts at auction late March is too late to trap top fur. Trapping is about producing quality fur, not just catching fur. This is why their is a fur primeness chart.
Red, I had 19 beaver in the last auction. Most were caught under ice in March and some that were caught when the ice came off in April. Four beaver were labeled *I and of those three were top lot. There are still some top lot pelts to be had at this time of year until a little after the ice comes off.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:34 PM

Red, I can appreciate your logic with not catching pregnant beavers if maintaining a quality population is the goal. However, some areas are getting over populated in part due to lack of trapping. Late season beaver trapping can also be part of maintaining a healthy population.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Red, I had 19 beaver in the last auction. Most were caught under ice in March and some that were caught when the ice came off in April. Four beaver were labeled *I and of those three were top lot. There are still some top lot pelts to be had at this time of year until a little after the ice comes off.
With all due respect to you, I am just responding. I know there are still some nice pelts taken where there is deep uncrowded water during late season. You mention only 4 of 19 pelts were graded #I. I know there are many variables with each beaver so I not being critical and am more like asking ...do you think you would have had more than 4 #I grade pelts out of the 19 if they were taken in late December/ early January?
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-15-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camdec View Post
Red, I can appreciate your logic with not catching pregnant beavers if maintaining a quality population is the goal. However, some areas are getting over populated in part due to lack of trapping. Late season beaver trapping can also be part of maintaining a healthy population.
I agree. Every eco system has it's carrying capacity. A lack of trapping can cause lots of problems in regards to private land damages. Over populations are more a private land problem. Most counties are usually reactive and not proactive when managing beavers on private lands and county waterways. Resident trappers trapping on private lands should want to help land owners even when pelts have little or no value, (castor and carcass still have some value) as part of their trapping access agreements.

I think crown land (Registered line) trappers do use strategies for managing beavers on their lines. Even with low prices on beaver pelts they do help pay a bill or two and the meat supplies a meal or bait.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:32 AM
AO Sponsor

Anybody want to case skin me a few nice smaller size beaver? Just looking for juveniles, whatever size they turn out to be technically. Not two year olds. Under ice or first week open water. Free of visible damage hopefully.
Case skinned, fleshed, stretch like a giant rat

I would also like to get some beaver tails, anybody want to skin me a few? Clean/bite-free and flesh and salt.

PM me if interested
Old 05-14-2019, 02:21 PM
Gone Hunting

I used to take most of my beaver under the ice. I used snares almost exclusively for that and have written about the set on other threads.

That was a lot of years ago, (1966 to 1994) back then my goal was at least fifty beaver per winter. Beaver were our bread and butter catch.
The big profit was in Fisher, Marten and Lynx but beaver outnumbered all the rest ten to one. So beaver were the primary target.

I used a home made ice chisel to cut holes in ice.
A lot of our beaver ponds are shallow. This is muskeg country.
Here a good colony will often have very thin ice over the runs so a chain saw would be a huge waste of time and money for the purpose.

The few deep water ponds, (four feet or more), that we have can be trapped using an ice chisel, if it's a good design. Ive never seen a commercially available ice chisel that was any good.
There a chain saw would work better but we didn't have enough deep water ponds to warrant the cost or maintenance.

Catching beaver under the ice is never easy. It takes work and a good bit of learning. But it can be some of the best hides one will take in a year.

With the prices fur is going for these days I don't see it being profitable, but it can be good recreation and quiet a challenge.

George Bernard Shaw