Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-21-2007, 04:56 PM

Default Handheld sonars

Hey everyone

I was just wondering if anyone has used any of these handheld sonar.There are a few on the market.Strikemaster,Marcum and Vexilar are some of the brand name ones.They all are suppose to be able to shoot through the ice.Has anyone used one or has any info on them.

Thanks

Crude
Old 12-21-2007, 06:07 PM

I used to have have a Polar Vision and it worked fine until the Battery Terminal connection decided to let loose on the board. Haven't gone back to that brand but supposedly they fixed that problem...
But to the point, I have the Marcum LX-i. It does the job that it supposed to do. You clear the area of snow and drop some water on the Ice so it forms a contact. The clearer the Ice, the better the signal. Ice that is bubbled will not give a good signal. On the Marcum model, it also features a signal that will indicate fish.
In the past, there has been various ideas to use instead of water. From Windshield Washer solution to Gycol. These are not environmentally friendly regardless even if these are in small amounts. I use a simple solution of Salt Water. It freezes at a lower temp so you won't have to worry to much a bottle freezing too fast.
Various models of Flashers will also do that trick. If you already have a Flasher, try it. If not, buy one or ask for one at X-Mas. The Flasher can be used to locate drop-offs or structure. Once you drill your holes, use for marking fish and fish away !!
Old 12-21-2007, 06:29 PM

Instead of salt water or the unfriendly crap, I use a small shot of vegetable oil.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:43 PM

Have a Hawkeye handheld from Norcross.Works great on pontoon boat or ice fishing.Most are $120.Got mine on internet for $80 inc shipping.Also has built in temp guage for air or water.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:10 PM

I have the Hawkeye also. Got it from www.sharperimage.com. Cost $60.00, shipping included.