Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-12-2018, 03:03 PM

Default Looking for an hour on a drive on lift

I have a car with a leak in the air suspension. I was looking for a place in Lethbridge, etc., where I could rent an hour on a drive on lift, or over a pit to see there the leak is with an ultrasonic leak detector.

Does anyone have any ideas or have a lift I could use??

I'm in the Vulcan area.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:45 PM
Banned

Would soapy water work? You can purchase heavy duty car ramps for under $100 at Cambodian tire etc. I doubt anyone would rent you a bay for one hour.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:52 PM

Call the nearest high school with an automotives program. They will have a lift. Go see the auto teacher. Can't see why he wouldn't let you use it for an hour. He could show the kids what you are doing.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:30 PM

Too bad you aren't closer you could use mine.

If you happen to be coming out this way drop by.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-12-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
Would soapy water work? You can purchase heavy duty car ramps for under $100 at Cambodian tire etc. I doubt anyone would rent you a bay for one hour.
Ultrasonic leak detector will allow me to hear leaks that it takes a while for any liquid leak detection product to show bubbles in a lot shorter time frame. I picked up a leak the other day in an airline with the leak detector that it took a minute for there to be a single small bubble while the air line was submerged.

Rather than using a ramp, I'd just jack the whole car up and block the rear wheels up on 4x4s. Front end on jack stands. Don't worry, the jack stands are 24,000 lbs holding a piece...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Call the nearest high school with an automotives program. They will have a lift. Go see the auto teacher. Can't see why he wouldn't let you use it for an hour. He could show the kids what you are doing.
I'll give that a try. I think Vulcan, if not Claresholm has a program like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Too bad you aren't closer you could use mine.

If you happen to be coming out this way drop by.
Thank you. If I knew where 'this way' was, I'd definitely do that.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:22 PM

Sorry. LLoydminster area

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 12-12-2018, 08:29 PM

Pm me. I’m just out of Lethbridge. tog
Old 12-12-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldguy View Post
Pm me. I’m just out of Lethbridge. tog

Old 12-13-2018, 12:57 AM

Get a can of flat repair at Can Tire. Let the air out of the bags or shocks, and pump it up with the flat repair. It will seal the inside of the fittings, and any pinhole in the bag itself. $10.00 fix that works. After you pump it up with the can hit it with regular air to clean out the valve stem, and make sure it gets all the way to the end.
Old 12-13-2018, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Get a can of flat repair at Can Tire. Let the air out of the bags or shocks, and pump it up with the flat repair. It will seal the inside of the fittings, and any pinhole in the bag itself. $10.00 fix that works. After you pump it up with the can hit it with regular air to clean out the valve stem, and make sure it gets all the way to the end.
This is a couple thousand or more fix for the problems it would cause on his vehicle. Never put that stuff in a air ride system. It would cause all the valves and air sensors to be blocked and stop working. Could see trying in in an airbag system for an axle but an airbag system for a vehicle is totally different
Old 12-13-2018, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
Not that kind of air suspension. It's an automatic type, not a fixed air bag. I've seen one of these go bad with leak stop. Helped the guy replace every air line in the car. I don't think it's the bag, I think it's a fitting.