Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-10-2018, 12:51 PM

Default Kuny's products still made in AB?

Does anyone know if Kuny's products are still made in AB? I would like to order one of their signature series pro framer tool pouches but before laying out a couple hundred bucks, I would like to know if they are made in Canada or Asia.

Gerry Burnie
Old 12-10-2018, 12:55 PM

I Believe manufacturing is in Leduc.
Old 12-10-2018, 01:02 PM

Exclamation Good question

The company is still based in Leduc, but there is not a single "Made in Canada" or "Made in Alberta" statement to be found on their website. Which would be unusual if it was still manufactured here.
It certainly smells like offshore manufacturing.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 12-10-2018, 01:18 PM

i have leather pouch belt its said made in india , its very good quality
Old 12-11-2018, 12:09 AM

IMO only...
I don't know if things have improved at Kuny's now but in the past... Kuny's weren't very good employers. They went through employees on a whim. For a small production company... they had weekly ads looking for employees and the ads ran year round. I know a few local people and close friends that have tried working for them over the past 30 years. They all said the same. Sadly, I would buy a leather pouch from Asia before I would support Kuny's.

There is Viking Leather Products out of BC that has nice 'Made in Canada' belts.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-11-2018, 05:48 AM

If you’re looking for a good tool belt, and want to spend a couple hundred. Go buy an Occidental Leather belt. They’re more money now but they have lifetime warranty. A guy I work with had a seam come undone and sent the belt back to Occidental, they sent him a whole new side pouch and the old one back. I have two, a 7 bag framer and a black and red 6 bag framer. Both are amazing, 8 and 7 years old they are and still like new, I wear the 7 bag daily and it’s just a little colour faded. I know guys that got 25 years out of them, before they put lifetime warranty on their products. If you want to save a little cash, next best in my opinion is Cadillac Belts and then the high end leather Task belts.
Old 12-11-2018, 06:22 AM

If you wear a tool belt every day, fork out the money for an occidental. Kurt’s is junk that will only last a year or two. I’m on year 8 on my occidental. It’s perfect except for a small hole in the corner of one pouch. I’m sure if I sent it in they’d repair it. Prime fasteners sells them. I have the fixed pouch adjustable pro framer with suspenders. They’re about $450 though so not cheap.
Old 12-11-2018, 07:08 AM

Default Occidental

X2 go with occidental. When I was framing I used their beltless harness system. Best pouch I have ever used. Always wanted to try out some of their best type units. The standard belt type are quite heavy so get suspenders..your back will thank you.

Pros of the Beltless
Can be worn over a winter coat, sweat shirt, or carharts with out over pulling down, or needing readjusting/ tightening.

With no belt right on your waistline bending over is never hampered.

Pros of the vest type...
My thinking is most of your tools are carried on your body so weight distribution will aid in hip/ back fatigue.

In 12 years of framing with the occidental I never had back or hip issues. My loaded out pouch weighed over 15 lbs
Old 12-11-2018, 12:49 PM

I sent Kuny's an email asking if their products were made in Canada and haven't received a reply yet, so I'll take that as a no.

I planned on buying Occidental bags ($390 at Lee Valley) until I found the Kuny's (~$200). I'm a not a carpenter, just want a nice belt/bag set up for projects around home and the farm. I try to buy North American when I can and believe in buy once, cry once. From the advice here, it sounds like I'm on the right track with the Occidental Leather products.

One thing that strikes me as odd is that the back packers are all trying to get the weight off of their shoulders and onto their hips, and carpenters are trying to get the weight off their hips with suspenders.

Gerry Burnie
Old 12-11-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCC View Post
I sent Kuny's an email asking if their products were made in Canada and haven't received a reply yet, so I'll take that as a no.

I planned on buying Occidental bags ($390 at Lee Valley) until I found the Kuny's (~$200). I'm a not a carpenter, just want a nice belt/bag set up for projects around home and the farm. I try to buy North American when I can and believe in buy once, cry once. From the advice here, it sounds like I'm on the right track with the Occidental Leather products.

One thing that strikes me as odd is that the back packers are all trying to get the weight off of their shoulders and onto their hips, and carpenters are trying to get the weight off their hips with suspenders.

when I was younger and starting hunting back in the sixties there were not many back packs around. Most people used a single strap pack that was hung from one shoulder. There were a lot of single strap packs around from the second world war or the first war. Recently I separated a shoulder and was looking for one of the single strap packs like we used to use but there are not many around. I did find a few but the prices they wanted for those packs was crazy so I went with a fanny pack which I had in the basement. You can't pack much stuff so you are careful what you select.
Old 12-12-2018, 05:43 PM
Banned