Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-06-2018, 12:40 PM

Default Manitoba man fined $2000 for dumping human waste

The Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry has fined a Manitoba man $2,000 for illegal dumping on Ontario Crown land.
The man had been camping with his family in their travel trailer at the Nelson Lake public camping area for two weeks in August of 2017, according to a news release issued Wednesday by the MNRF.
Upon leaving the site, the Ministry said, he dumped the contents of the trailer's septic holding tanks onto the south side of East Nelson Lake Road.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thund...aste-1.4733583

Not defending his actions but what's the fine for pooping in the woods?
Old 07-06-2018, 12:54 PM
Banned

I think there's a big difference between cat sanitation of an individual in the bush when nature calls as opposed to dumping the entire contents of a septic tank filled with the waste produced by a family over a two week period.

People are disgusting.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbornedeerhunter View Post
I think there's a big difference between cat sanitation of an individual in the bush when nature calls as opposed to dumping the entire contents of a septic tank filled with the waste produced by a family over a two week period.

People are disgusting.
I totally agree I've seen piles of crap left behind on cut lines
Old 07-06-2018, 12:59 PM

After cleaning up someones mess who dumped their trailer in a fire pit on the Old Man River and watching a senior dump his trailer in the ditch on the Kananaskis I hope we get those kinds of fines here and let the public know they will be fined for dumping their holding tanks in other than an approved way.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
The Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry has fined a Manitoba man $2,000 for illegal dumping on Ontario Crown land.
The man had been camping with his family in their travel trailer at the Nelson Lake public camping area for two weeks in August of 2017, according to a news release issued Wednesday by the MNRF.
Upon leaving the site, the Ministry said, he dumped the contents of the trailer's septic holding tanks onto the south side of East Nelson Lake Road.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/thund...aste-1.4733583

Not defending his actions but what's the fine for pooping in the woods?
Apparently $2,000
Old 07-06-2018, 03:51 PM

Dam wish it were more. I hate it. some people think the whole world is their toilet
Old 07-06-2018, 03:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
After cleaning up someones mess who dumped their trailer in a fire pit on the Old Man River and watching a senior dump his trailer in the ditch on the Kananaskis I hope we get those kinds of fines here and let the public know they will be fined for dumping their holding tanks in other than an approved way.
Did you take a license number and report the senior?
Old 07-06-2018, 04:23 PM

The waste from our cattle in crown lands is far worse than the tank this fellow dumped.. Does not make it right, but true none the less.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:34 PM

dump yer crap in a hole and cover it up, ok with the srd guys. just don't dump it on the ground.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledhead71 View Post
The waste from our cattle in crown lands is far worse than the tank this fellow dumped.. Does not make it right, but true none the less.
I once sent an email to SRD about the herds of cattle that leave heaps of foul-smelling unsightly mess and pollute the Sheep River in Sheep River PP and the Bluerock Wildland. They basically told me that it's traditional, so there is no problem. One of the dumbest things I've ever heard. So if anyone ever dumps their trailer in the ditch, they should simply explain that it's their family's tradition to poop by the side of the road.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 07-06-2018, 07:16 PM

At least one was caught.
Old 07-06-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
That's why most people don't camp in cow pastures
WDF
Old 07-07-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
I once sent an email to SRD about the herds of cattle that leave heaps of foul-smelling unsightly mess and pollute the Sheep River in Sheep River PP and the Bluerock Wildland. They basically told me that it's traditional, so there is no problem. One of the dumbest things I've ever heard. So if anyone ever dumps their trailer in the ditch, they should simply explain that it's their family's tradition to poop by the side of the road.

Really!!!!!
Next report the fluffy bunny poop that the coyote piled up in the middle of the trail!!!!
Really!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-07-2018, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who Da Fisherman View Post
That's why most people don't camp in cow pastures
WDF
You must not leave the black top much....
Old 07-07-2018, 12:04 PM

Quote:
You must not leave the black top much....
Not much since I bought a lot 4yrs ago, before that for 20yrs it was tenting or a tent trailer on which ever public land we could find.
WDF
Old 07-07-2018, 10:52 PM

Quote:
You need to look up the difference between the poop that comes out of cattle and the poop that comes out of people.
Cows eat vegetation and basically poop out compost.
People eat all sorts of stuff and poop out horrible stuff... not compost...
Old 07-07-2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
You need to look up the difference between the poop that comes out of cattle and the poop that comes out of people.
By that logic it should be okay to dump your tanks as long as you're a vegetarian ?
Old 07-07-2018, 11:28 PM
Banned

As someone who farms and hunts I gotta laugh at the "cow poop in the fields is ruining things" I mean what about the deer elk moose and bison? Or is that just cause they are wild and not farm animals? Same crap literally Lol!!
Old 07-07-2018, 11:40 PM

Hate to say it but we will see more people dumping there trailer poop in ditches or where ever as at a lot of dump stations you have to pay now and a lot of Provincial parks are upgrading their sewer dumps to the paying type. and municipalities are doing the same.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:28 AM

The whole city of Victoria dumps into the Ocean.....
Old 07-08-2018, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reeves1 View Post
The whole city of Victoria dumps into the Ocean.....
... and most of Quebec
Old 07-08-2018, 06:44 AM

It's not good but try to find a dumping station anywhere right now is almost impossible. There use to be one at just about every gas station. Years ago I owned a Esso full serve station, we let campers dump for free. And we use to sell a pile of gas, propane, tires and get a lot of repair work out of it also. Paid for the honey wagon a hundred times over. Make it easy to dump and people will use it. ( I think)
Old 07-08-2018, 07:57 AM

Good penalty, maybe not enough. I live on a side road that parallels a major highway. Very convenient for the city slickers to pull in on our road and dump their load in the ditch on the way home. That and leave their dirty diapers sitting at the side of the road People are basically pigs, it seems.

Grizz
Old 07-08-2018, 08:01 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

A fine is not enough, addition is one year of wk-ends walking the roadsides picking up garbage etc from sun up to sun down in all types of weather.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-08-2018, 08:48 AM
Banned

My neighbors boyfriend dumped his holding tanks in the middle of our range road last year , I recorded it on dash cam and Called the county bylaw officer and he came out and looked and smelled it. You could see toilet paper in it.
But I guess being a country grater operator for leduc county gives you diplomatic immunity. Makes me want to rub a number 2 on his doorhandles
Old 07-08-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pa_of_6 View Post
Really!!!!!
Next report the fluffy bunny poop that the coyote piled up in the middle of the trail!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet Ranch View Post
As someone who farms and hunts I gotta laugh at the "cow poop in the fields is ruining things" I mean what about the deer elk moose and bison? Or is that just cause they are wild and not farm animals? Same crap literally Lol!!
The rabbits, coyotes, deer, etc. do not travel in herds of 200+ animals that line the riverbanks with their filth. The crap might be similar, but its quantity and distribution is not the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
Any manure is high in nutrients. It's basically compost in the fields, but in the water in causes an increase in decomposition, which results in a drop in dissolved oxygen - a significant problem for aquatic insects and sensitive fish like trout.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 07-08-2018, 09:15 AM

Any manure is high in nutrients. It's basically compost in the fields, but in the water in causes an increase in decomposition, which results in a drop in dissolved oxygen - a significant problem for aquatic insects and sensitive fish like trout.

Not to mention, it's untreated sewage, lots of nasty bugs in there.

Grizz
Old 07-08-2018, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
Hate to say it but we will see more people dumping there trailer poop in ditches or where ever as at a lot of dump stations you have to pay now and a lot of Provincial parks are upgrading their sewer dumps to the paying type. and municipalities are doing the same.
Maybe a little different topic but...
Our local Waste Authority has been raising prices at Public Transfer Sites so much that more and more you see people have dumped their trash in ditches and wood lots. At the transfer site you have to separate everything...plastic trash in this bin-paper in that one-metal in that one... then they haul it all to the landfill, squash it down with a cat and burn it. What has changed? Some people are employed by the Waste Authority and management squanders the money people pay them till they claim they can't break even so taxpayers have to chip in. $35.80/month to pick up residential garbage weekly. No more than 4 bags of trash weekly. $2.23 per bag? This is why some people choose to toss it in the ditch.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:32 AM

I have never dumped my trailer out there.....

But man I love poopin in the woods..
Old 07-08-2018, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewerrat View Post
100% correct.
And its a complete tax grab as most dump stations go to munical system or just pumped to a mound or lagoon. $5 / dump is ripoff.

Should be free, so people can dump properly.