Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-21-2017, 12:31 PM

Default Are The M1 Garand 8rd Clips Legal To Use For Hunting In AB?

Frist post here. I am still waiting for my PAL, so I have been researching first rifles. So far the MVP Thunder Ranch or Scout and a No.4 has been in my head. However, I saw a for sale post of an M1 that really caught my eye and made me think about buying one. The M1 has always been an iconic firearm to me as playing Call of Duty got me into firearms and military history at a young age. It's one of the 2-3rd cheapest of the full-bore semi-autos. Also, who doesn't love having 8rnds on tap! Yes, I know its a 10lbs heavy rifle but, am 6'4" 290lbs guy so the weigh doesn't really put me off...

So here comes the issue that is making me stop and not wanting to buy one. Can you use the 8rn clips for it while hunting? Because the hunting regulations explicitly state 5rns only for hunting. I know that there are 5rn clips for the M1 but, from my research, they seem to be a pain to get ahold of.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireWolf View Post
Frist post here. I am still waiting for my PAL, so I have been researching first rifles. So far the MVP Thunder Ranch or Scout and a No.4 has been in my head. However, I saw a for sale post of an M1 that really caught my eye and made me think about buying one. The M1 has always been an iconic firearm to me as playing Call of Duty got me into firearms and military history at a young age. It's one of the 2-3rd cheapest of the full-bore semi-autos. Also, who doesn't love having 8rnds on tap! Yes, I know its a 10lbs heavy rifle but, am 6'4" 290lbs guy so the weigh doesn't really put me off...

So here comes the issue that is making me stop and not wanting to buy one. Can you use the 8rn clips for it while hunting? Because the hunting regulations explicitly state 5rns only for hunting. I know that there are 5rn clips for the M1 but, from my research, they seem to be a pain to get ahold of.
Have the 8 round pinned to five and you are good to go. If it isn't pinned you will be charged. Other consideration, the 30 Carbine is a VERY anaemic round and not a great choice for a hunting round. On top af that many M1 carbines are restricted, like a hand gun, unless you are talking the full length 30-06, 308 M-1 rifle. Then you are good for powder, still need to pin the mag. None of the full length M1s are restricted that I know of.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Have the 8 round pinned to five and you are good to go. If it isn't pinned you will be charged. Other consideration, the 30 Carbine is a VERY anaemic round and not a great choice for a hunting round. On top af that many M1 carbines are restricted, like a hand gun, unless you are talking the full length 30-06, 308 M-1 rifle. Then you are good for powder, still need to pin the mag. None of the full length M1s are restricted that I know of.
I have M1 Garand right in the title mate lol. .30 Carbine is way too small for moose!
Old 10-21-2017, 12:43 PM
Banned

The M1 Garand is an exemption to the magazine capacity restrictions. Because of the way the way the firearm functions, Garands are permitted to have all 8 cartridges.

Old 10-21-2017, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357Maximum View Post
The M1 Garand is an exemption to the magazine capacity restrictions. Because of the way the way the firearm functions, Garands are permitted to have all 8 cartridges.

That's the federal law but what about provincial hunting regulations? And I know that you can top of the M1 with the clip in the mag with like 5rns. BUt, its just a massive pain in the ass when in a hunting situation.

Last edited by DireWolf; 10-21-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:01 PM

I think I might have found a solution to my problem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enPH9GB038o
Old 10-21-2017, 01:04 PM

Well this place has 5rn's listed but, they are sold out:

https://northernrepublicmagazine.com...iant=980135449
Old 10-21-2017, 01:12 PM

Quote:
I have M1 Garand right in the title mate lol. .30 Carbine is way too small for moose!
Sorry, didn't read close enough. You still need to find a 5 shot or mod/pin the 8 to only hold 5 if you want to hunt with it.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:17 PM

Federally they are exempt in writing from magazine capacity limits.

For hunting which is an Alberta government controlled area, you need to have a limit of 5 rounds.

Just buy or make a couple 5 rounds enblocs and get on with it.

When I get home from work I'll post a couple pictures.

Never mind I just googled it.

http://www.fulton-armory.com/images/...l/_DSC1319.JPG

Googled how to make them and here's a vid: same vid as above.

https://youtu.be/enPH9GB038o

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 10-21-2017 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:47 AM

Default M1A's are bad arse guns

Quote:

Get a Norinco M305 (M1A) http://www.cabelas.ca/product/94869/...utomatic-rifle (18'' barrel)

22'' barrel version http://www.cabelas.ca/product/94869/...utomatic-rifle

If someone trys to tell you that Norincos are junk, they are clueless.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:40 PM

Default M1 Garand capacity

I can't answer your question on hunting and gun capacity but I do know that M1 Garand's are legal to own in full 8 round capacity as are Lee Enfields with 10 round capacity clip. This is because they are historic weapons that were used in a world war. So don't try to pin or alter your M1 Garand or Lee Enfield because it is not necessary. As far as I know these are the only two guns that are not subject to the 5 round centre fire rifle capacity rule in Canada.
Old 11-08-2017, 02:44 PM

Non semi-auto repeaters have no mag capacity limit.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.S. View Post
I can't answer your question on hunting and gun capacity but I do know that M1 Garand's are legal to own in full 8 round capacity as are Lee Enfields with 10 round capacity clip. This is because they are historic weapons that were used in a world war. So don't try to pin or alter your M1 Garand or Lee Enfield because it is not necessary. As far as I know these are the only two guns that are not subject to the 5 round centre fire rifle capacity rule in Canada.
The Garand is exempted from the federal firearms legislation, but it is not exempted from the provincial hunting regulations, which limit semi auto rifles to five round magazines.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The Garand is exempted from the federal firearms legislation, but it is not exempted from the provincial hunting regulations, which limit semi auto rifles to five round magazines.
Sad thing is 3 previous posters have said what you just said.

Gotta wonder if anyone reads the wholes thread?

There are no absolutes
Old 11-08-2017, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Sad thing is 3 previous posters have said what you just said.

Gotta wonder if anyone reads the wholes thread?
I also have to wonder as to how many people bother reading the hunting regulations.
Old 11-08-2017, 03:44 PM

Just for the record the Garand's use Enblocs not clips
Old 11-09-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Just for the record the Garand's use Enblocs not clips
Wanna try again?

An Enbloc is a style of clip.
Other styles of clips are:
Stripper
Half moon

There are no absolutes
Old 11-09-2017, 04:01 PM

There is so much misinformation in this thread (minus the few who are correcting guys)
Old 11-09-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.A.S. View Post
The Lee Enfield was never even in question because it is a bolt action not a semi auto, no different than any other modern bolt action with a 10 or 20 round magazine - or a lever action for that matter.
a model 94 in 30/30 with a 26" barrel holds more than 5 cartridges in its magazine.

Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 11-09-2017 at 04:17 PM.