Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-21-2017, 10:35 AM

Default Smoked Ribs

I just threw a batch of ribs in the smoker. I havn't done them before this way but wanted to see how you guys do yours and any rub recipie's you have.
I bought a rub for these and plan on smoking for 2 hrs at 200 then tin foil them with some brown sugar for another 2 hrs and then put some barbeque sauce on them and finish them for an hr or so.
Hope they turn out. I am sure they will be good either way
Old 10-21-2017, 10:42 AM

I usually do the 3-2-1 method with any pork rub for pork ribs.

3 hrs 200F

2 hrs 200 F wrapped in foil with Worcestershire sauce

1 hr 200 F unwrapped and brush on BBQ sauce
Old 10-21-2017, 10:49 AM

Good advise. Maybe I will try that time frame
Old 10-21-2017, 11:08 AM

Default For me.

Smoker 30” Master built
WOOD CHIPS, 2 HANDS FULL OF JACK DANIALES, AND A HAND FULL OF APPLE CHIPS mixed in a bowl
I smoke them for 3 hours at 215

Then 1 hour covered in a tin pan I throw some more rub ,with half cup of honey a little butter and 2 cups of coke on the bottom.

Rub: Smoked paprika, Galic salt with parsley, onion salt, some cumin, five spice, Brown sugar, total seasoning by “iberiaa, A little turmeric.

good luck and i am sure they will turn out
P.s The five spice is strong you don't need a lot very little, sometimes i use a little pinch cinnamon instead.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:43 AM
AO Sponsor

Ribs underdone are worse than ribs overdone, so I always suggest erroring to the side of caution and cook them a bit longer if you don't have your system down pat.

Time is a place to start for sure, but cook times vary with many factors such as meat size and weight, temp consistency, etc so don't stick to them religiously with bbq. You need to be paying attention to how the meat is behaving.

225 degrees with 3 hours in the smoke - 2 hours wrapped - one hour finishing with sauce at the end is almost always the most consistent method used by most rib guys, but I have had many racks that have needed to vary it a bit.

After the initial 3 hours, the meat should be pulling back from the rib tips a bit. If it is not, then you should give it a little bit longer. When finally wrapping, make sure you are adding a bit of moisture. I like apple juice and butter but tastes vary person to person. Probably 1/4 to 1/2 cup of moisture is lots. Wrap a couple layers and seal them tight. A lot of guys will fire them in the oven at this point because the temperature will be much more consistent compared to a BBQ outdoors with cold and wind (weather depending), and the meat doesn't know the difference as they are wrapped and will not be absorbing anymore flavour from the smoker.

When you unwrap them the rib tips should be fully exposed now. Fire them back on the bbq for another hour our so and only sauce them (if you use sauce) for maybe the last 10 minutes at most or you will likely burn the sugars in the sauce fouling the flavour somewhat.

In the end, the ribs should come easily off the bone but not fall off. If you bite it you want it to come off easily but leave a bite shape. That is perfect! That said, even less than perfect ribs still taste awesome!!! It is just something to strive for...
Old 10-21-2017, 12:37 PM

I do mine just like you said nube, and they are amazing- fall off the bone.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:39 PM

Add a cup of apple juice and some honey to your brown sugar and foilthem in a cookie sheet for step two
Old 10-21-2017, 12:47 PM

I use Haupy’s Beaver Rub (yeah I know. It’s a real thing) When in the foil I lay them on a bed of sliced peaches. Weird but the flavour is great and they don’t dry out.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:28 PM

I put a couple chunks of butter on them when I wrap them in the foil. Learnt that from Johnny Trigg the rib master. Also make sure they're bone down when not in foil and meat down when in foil. Helps keep them moist. Now I'm craving ribs, thanks!
Old 10-21-2017, 02:06 PM

No matter how you do your ribs make sure the membrane is removed.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
Ribs underdone are worse than ribs overdone, so I always suggest erroring to the side of caution and cook them a bit longer if you don't have your system down pat.

Time is a place to start for sure, but cook times vary with many factors such as meat size and weight, temp consistency, etc so don't stick to them religiously with bbq. You need to be paying attention to how the meat is behaving.

225 degrees with 3 hours in the smoke - 2 hours wrapped - one hour finishing with sauce at the end is almost always the most consistent method used by most rib guys, but I have had many racks that have needed to vary it a bit.

After the initial 3 hours, the meat should be pulling back from the rib tips a bit. If it is not, then you should give it a little bit longer. When finally wrapping, make sure you are adding a bit of moisture. I like apple juice and butter but tastes vary person to person. Probably 1/4 to 1/2 cup of moisture is lots. Wrap a couple layers and seal them tight. A lot of guys will fire them in the oven at this point because the temperature will be much more consistent compared to a BBQ outdoors with cold and wind (weather depending), and the meat doesn't know the difference as they are wrapped and will not be absorbing anymore flavour from the smoker.

When you unwrap them the rib tips should be fully exposed now. Fire them back on the bbq for another hour our so and only sauce them (if you use sauce) for maybe the last 10 minutes at most or you will likely burn the sugars in the sauce fouling the flavour somewhat.

In the end, the ribs should come easily off the bone but not fall off. If you bite it you want it to come off easily but leave a bite shape. That is perfect! That said, even less than perfect ribs still taste awesome!!! It is just something to strive for...
Follow this ^^^ and you will be golden!
Old 10-21-2017, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Follow this ^^^ and you will be golden!
X200
Perfect
Old 10-21-2017, 07:42 PM

Well guys they worked out real good. I put butter and some real runny apple jam and water mixed together while in the tinfoil. The only thing I didn't do was cook long enough. Some of the meat came off real easy and others it was a tiny bit chewy. Either way it was all good.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:00 PM

I always do the 3-2-1 with any ribs and they are to die for.

Will try the other recipes on here for sure!!

Good eats boys, enjoy!!
Old 10-21-2017, 09:26 PM

I use this rub, and 3-2-1 at 225F with a spalsh of apple juice in the foil and a plain cheap BBQ sauce.
http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/...2?ftab=reviews
Old 10-21-2017, 10:39 PM

Default Ribs

I do a variation and find it better. Baby backs are shorter cook then side ribs. Side ribs I run 4-1-1. I don't like foiling for more then 1 hour, find the ribs turn mushy. When I foil I just started using tropical fruit juice instead of apple juice and the results are amazing. Apple is just too strong for me lately. The tropical has slight peach, cherry and pineapple flavour, all work well with pork.

When I remove the foil I continue cooking until I see about 1/2 an inch of bone peeled back from the ribs (usually another hour give or take). Then I mix bbq sauce with apple cider vinegar 1:3 ratio and coat the ribs. Turns nice and sticky in about 7-10 mins, but sugar doesnt burn.

Turns out awesome every time!!!
Old 10-21-2017, 11:08 PM

I started doing my ribs Sous Vide and they are AMAZING... Seal them with seasonings, sauce, pineapple and mango then 'cook' for 12-18 hrs in the sous vide. After that I place them on foil and finish in the smoker for 1hr or on the grill for a couple minutes a side. They are ridiculously good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0540.JPG (58.3 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0541.JPG (56.8 KB, 43 views)
Old 10-22-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny View Post
I use Haupy’s Beaver Rub (yeah I know. It’s a real thing) When in the foil I lay them on a bed of sliced peaches. Weird but the flavour is great and they don’t dry out.
I have some Haupy's Beaver Rub but havn't tried it on smoked ribs.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Well guys they worked out real good. I put butter and some real runny apple jam and water mixed together while in the tinfoil. The only thing I didn't do was cook long enough. Some of the meat came off real easy and others it was a tiny bit chewy. Either way it was all good.
Glad it worked out well for you. Write down what you did right, as well as what you would do differently the next time. There will be a lot of next times.