Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2017, 08:41 PM

Default Is there a demand for this?

My son will be choosing his career path in the next few years. He is currently interested in IT but is also very mechanically inclined, so looking at something involving both. I think he should consider apprenticing in automotive and once a journeyman work towards specializing in diagnostics. Similar to what these guys are doing:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...new+level+auto
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnI...yHR68f23dQQHUg
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn4...3wMT6VBzQoKPUA

Seems to me there is (and will continue to be, as vehicles become more complicated) a growing demand for someone who can correctly diagnose what is wrong with a vehicle, no?
Old 10-18-2017, 08:50 PM
Banned

IT and automotive aren't really related. Yes, upcoming that will change to a point.

Service techs can plug in a car and get a diagnosis - but alot of the times you need the experience and intuition to find the right fix. Sometimes a code can mean 10 possibilities.

Maybe electrical engineering in automotive is what you're thinking?
Old 10-18-2017, 09:02 PM

The tech world is booming. I'd suggest him focusing on that. But just like every highschool counselor I've ever talked to... it's all a shot in the dark. Whatevet makes him happy, tell him to go for it.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:52 PM

Programmers/techs that work with PLC's, sensors and automation like to bill me big bucks when my machines break ....... mechanical and IT related???? Not sure what this field would be - but there is a demand for this.

My son is doing BTech Programming / Computer Software Development and he has already had some pretty amazing job opportunities offered to him for some of his practical work on projects from sponsor companies.

Get into the right IT field and it will open doors.

Most of the other IT nerds are trying to get into "game development" and will end up working at radio shack.

Other IT nerds will be working for 50K in a company support role telling people to open up a help desk ticket and resolving the issue by telling them "have you tried turning it off and on again?"

The right field is critical.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:37 AM
Banned

In 2011 after 31 years since high school I went back back to school and got a degree in IT Network Engineering. Upon re-entering the workforce I could barely make enough to support myself just covering basic costs. The entry level pay is very low in most cases. Had I known then what I know now I’d have taken 4th class power engineering and then once working continued to work towards first class. Not that I am unhappy in my present day job in oilfield safety but after 24 years of trucks and heavy equipment work I think being a wal-mart greeter would have been a welcome option.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:59 AM

If he likes mechanical as well as IT then instrument or electrical tech course might suit him good. Get on the right company can do a lot of programming and it is easy get journeyman ticket after complete course
Old 10-19-2017, 07:45 AM

Echoing what others are saying here - IT can be a good or bad field, depending on where you land. On the embedded side, the market locally is declining (not that it doesn't exist) but mass-marketed products end up getting a lot of their design/build done offshore.

Some of the changes I'm seeing are showing that modern workflow automation is getting to the point where it is becoming a real contender for the standard code-pounding jobs out there. Look at some of the low/no code platforms out there now - they have come a long way.

The alternative is to work in an R&D role, but those jobs have a tendency to be fickle (unless you can find one that gets a steady flow of government funding).

For auto diagnostics, I doubt that any of the programming is done locally - An IT training won't be a big asset there.

However, have him take a look at automation. A few weeks ago I had an interesting lunch chat with the CTO of a company that produces an integration platform. They are foraying into the world of IoT. Companies like Brandt, SMS etc. are doing that as well - in regards to autonomous vehicles, worksite sensors (nodes embedded in hardhats) etc. This will lead to work on the industrial side that will require embedded/IT knowledge. This will also mean growing demand for workers in the areas of handling unstructured data/big data.

There's an article in today's paper that talks about Big Data and how it may shape Calgary's future economy here.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:50 AM

It seems like your son is a lot like me. For my 4th year university final project course, I wanted to build an embedded computer system to control the fuel injection and spark timing for an internal combustion engine. I did a ton of research on it, and I think I could have been successful, but my professor said no. From what you've mentioned in your post, it seems like this sort of thing would be right up his alley.

I received a bachelors degree in computer engineering, and after that, focused more on automation and control system design, implementation, integration, etc. I work with computer systems that control mechanical systems. I am successful in my career because I understand both sides: computer and mechanical.

He doesn't need an engineering degree to do what I do, but it has opened up more doors for me. There are some good automation technology programs out there. In fact, I encourage most engineering graduates to go and take a couple of those courses.

If he would like to chat about what I do, send me a private message and I'll send you my email address and phone number.

Some of the projects that I have worked on include:

- Integration of a robotic palletizer into a factory system. The actual robot came from a company out of Detroit (area); I worked on the automation of the rest of the system surrounding the robot, and integration with the robot. Everything on the system communicates over an Ethernet network. I developed the interface that the operators use to control everything.

- Safety systems for operator interaction with mechanical equipment. This included emergency stop push buttons, door safety latches, light curtains, safety mats, safety stop position sensors, etc., meant to keep a user safe as they interact with a piece of process equipment. Multiple systems were then inter-connected using a dedicated redundant Ethernet network.

- Burner management and combustion control system for a 4 million BTU natural gas fired process oven. This one was intense. I had to become absolutely familiar with the safety codes involved. Every little detail was critical on this one. Failure of the system meant not only meant loss of equipment and production time, it also had the possibility of loss of life. We were upgrading the control system on a 30 year old system. Every little thing was reviewed. Every detail had to be documented. Every safety system was tested 2 different ways.

- Control systems on various food production systems. These range from simple to complex processes. Potato chips, corn chips, pop-corn, sunflower seeds, soda pop, cheese, milk, eggs, french fries, and the list goes on and on.

- Emissions reporting for coal-fired power plants. This one was gathering data and submitting reports to the government over the internet.
Coyote fur - plentiful, renewable, biodegradable, organic, natural, gluten-free, sustainable, free of pesticides, herbicides, antibiotics and steroids, does not need pipelines for transport, supports first Nation trappers, produced in Canada, keeps you warm and looks great.
Down-side: may contain lead.
Old 10-19-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
"have you tried turning it off and on again?"
Bahaha..

But you'd be amazed at how many people do not see that as a first option before calling IT.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:54 PM

Thanks guys, great responses, keep em coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
IT and automotive aren't really related. Yes, upcoming that will change to a point.

Service techs can plug in a car and get a diagnosis - but alot of the times you need the experience and intuition to find the right fix. Sometimes a code can mean 10 possibilities.

Maybe electrical engineering in automotive is what you're thinking?
Guess I was more referring more to the problem-solving aspect, he really seems to enjoy and excel in those types of scenarios.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:58 AM

Does he want to work for IBM, Google, Microsoft, or Canadian Tire? Go for IT. EVERY large company in every industry has IT jobs.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:20 PM

What's his academics like? Could he handle an Engineering Degree?

I'm a mechanical Engineer designing downhole tools. I told my son in today's market i'd get the mechanical degree with a minor in electronics, or the other way around. In today's workplace with the continued change towards automation your skillset would be highly sought after.......

Just saw DustDee's post........... he's right on the on the money
Old 10-21-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustDee View Post
It seems like your son is a lot like me. For my 4th year university final project course, I wanted to build an embedded computer system to control the fuel injection and spark timing for an internal combustion engine. I did a ton of research on it, and I think I could have been successful, but my professor said no. From what you've mentioned in your post, it seems like this sort of thing would be right up his alley.

I received a bachelors degree in computer engineering, and after that, focused more on automation and control system design, implementation, integration, etc. I work with computer systems that control mechanical systems. I am successful in my career because I understand both sides: computer and mechanical.

He doesn't need an engineering degree to do what I do, but it has opened up more doors for me. There are some good automation technology programs out there. In fact, I encourage most engineering graduates to go and take a couple of those courses.

If he would like to chat about what I do, send me a private message and I'll send you my email address and phone number.

Some of the projects that I have worked on include:

- Integration of a robotic palletizer into a factory system. The actual robot came from a company out of Detroit (area); I worked on the automation of the rest of the system surrounding the robot, and integration with the robot. Everything on the system communicates over an Ethernet network. I developed the interface that the operators use to control everything.

- Safety systems for operator interaction with mechanical equipment. This included emergency stop push buttons, door safety latches, light curtains, safety mats, safety stop position sensors, etc., meant to keep a user safe as they interact with a piece of process equipment. Multiple systems were then inter-connected using a dedicated redundant Ethernet network.

- Burner management and combustion control system for a 4 million BTU natural gas fired process oven. This one was intense. I had to become absolutely familiar with the safety codes involved. Every little detail was critical on this one. Failure of the system meant not only meant loss of equipment and production time, it also had the possibility of loss of life. We were upgrading the control system on a 30 year old system. Every little thing was reviewed. Every detail had to be documented. Every safety system was tested 2 different ways.

- Control systems on various food production systems. These range from simple to complex processes. Potato chips, corn chips, pop-corn, sunflower seeds, soda pop, cheese, milk, eggs, french fries, and the list goes on and on.

- Emissions reporting for coal-fired power plants. This one was gathering data and submitting reports to the government over the internet.
Cool. I used to tune / repair the NG reheat furnace at the old Stelco plant. Back then it was the North American hydraulic servos for the swirl port burners and stack pressure.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:35 AM

Default Automotive

I would highly suggest that he talks to someone who has been in the automotive industry for a few years.

I have worked in the industry for 13 years, and 90% of the techs I talk to wish they would have done something else.

Diagnostic/driveability/electrical/high tech guys are usually a little happier, but not by much. It is a tough industry to work in, its hard on the body, and depending on where and who you work for it can be hard on the mind.

This is just my two cents, I'm sure there are a few in the industry who can chime in on this.

Whatever he does I just hope he's happy doing it!
Old 10-21-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac111 View Post
I would highly suggest that he talks to someone who has been in the automotive industry for a few years.

I have worked in the industry for 13 years, and 90% of the techs I talk to wish they would have done something else.

Diagnostic/driveability/electrical/high tech guys are usually a little happier, but not by much. It is a tough industry to work in, its hard on the body, and depending on where and who you work for it can be hard on the mind.

This is just my two cents, I'm sure there are a few in the industry who can chime in on this.

Whatever he does I just hope he's happy doing it!
Thanks for that...I was hoping to hear from some techs in the auto-repair industy as well. It's surprising to hear you say that many are unhappy.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:10 AM

Computers, electrical, electric cars, windmills, solar, airospace. Hmmmm ?

Gonna get me a 16" perch.