Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2017, 05:44 PM

Thumbs down Edmonton safe injection site location

one of the site at the royal Alex hospital .. if something goes wrong, they have doctors close by .
Old 10-18-2017, 05:50 PM
Gone Hunting

This is what happens in a modern global society when the medical system is running at peak efficiency and there is a surplus of services available. Those staff and equipment need to be used somewhere. Might as well put them where there is the greatest return for the investment of skill. time and resources.

If it saves one addict, I guess it's better than saving one cancer patient.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 10-18-2017, 05:57 PM

Think about how preventable heart disease is. The Masankowski heart clinic cost hundreds of millions of dollars to build, and tens of millions of dollars each year because people don't exercise enough, they smoke, drink too much or have a poor diet.

Dollar for dollar the cost of safe injection sites is peanuts compared to preventable heart disease. The benefits spread through all society, both in humane terms and financial terms.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 10-18-2017 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 06:34 PM

Should the cops not sit outside it and arrest them for possession?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2017, 06:34 PM

Last edited by Heyupduck; 10-18-2017 at 06:37 PM. Reason: goodwill
Old 10-18-2017, 06:37 PM

Grandfather died of a heart attack. My father had stints put in because of heart attacks. Heart disease runs in my family. Last check up I am fine. Heart disease is absolutely preventable. You don't just just shrug your shoulders and say it's hereditary and be done with it. You friggen do something about it!

Drug abuse is bad, being an obese unhealthy person is bad too but way more socially acceptable. SAD...
Old 10-18-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilsledder View Post

Kind of what I was thinking
Old 10-18-2017, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Grandfather died of a heart attack. My father had stints put in because of heart attacks. Heart disease runs in my family. Last check up I am fine. Heart disease is absolutely preventable. You don't just just shrug your shoulders and say it's hereditary and be done with it. You friggen do something about it!

Drug abuse is bad, being an obese unhealthy person is bad too but way more socially acceptable. SAD...
I am sorry for the loss of your Grandfather. I hope your Father pulls through.

ALL heart disease however is not preventable. My Dad's brothers all were in extremely good health, except for heart problems. Unhealthy eating does not give you a bad Mitral valve. Mitral valve prolapse is something that nobody has every been able to completely ascertain the cause.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-18-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:

I LIKE THE WAY YOU THINK!!

Trouble is all the Liberals (Trudeau sheep) will throw money at them after arrest for the hardships caused.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:20 PM
Banned

Quote:

Heart disease is absolutely preventable? You tell that to any cardiologist and they'll set you straight. Bob Harper one of the. Worlds premier trainers and host of The Biggest Loser had a massive heart attack while working out. He was saved because a cardiologist was at the same gym. How many athletes at the pro level have dropped dead in a game or practice? Lots! Having heart disease in my family and suffering a heart attack 2 years ago I can tell you a Dr can say your fine and next thing you know your on a table wondering if these are your last few minutes left and who you wish you could hug. It doesn't matter if you do drugs poor diet and lifestyle or workout religiously one minute your fine and the next your on a gurney. You're completely ignorant and should save your comments for when you are are being asked who to notify!
Old 10-18-2017, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
This is what happens in a modern global society when the medical system is running at peak efficiency and there is a surplus of services available. Those staff and equipment need to be used somewhere. Might as well put them where there is the greatest return for the investment of skill. time and resources.

Those addicts are likely going to end up at the hospital anyway, whether via overdose or via HIV/Hepatitis etc.

If we can cut down the rate of overdose and sharing dirty needles, medical personnel can spend more time on the rest of us.

I'd rather we try be up front and minimize the cost and inconvenience to the rest of us rather than turn a blind eye and have things cost a whole lot more time and money later.
Old 10-18-2017, 07:33 PM

So when I wrote "think about how preventable heart disease is" my intent/ understanding was that it was all preventable. I have learned that it is not the case. - Apology .

I now believe though there is a huge portion of heart disease within our society that is preventable. This article is interesting and at first reading seems to indicate at least "25%" of heart & stroke deaths "And that is almost certainly an underestimate"

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/...e-201309046648
Old 10-18-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendrake View Post
Heart disease is absolutely preventable? You tell that to any cardiologist and they'll set you straight. Bob Harper one of the. Worlds premier trainers and host of The Biggest Loser had a massive heart attack while working out. He was saved because a cardiologist was at the same gym. How many athletes at the pro level have dropped dead in a game or practice? Lots! Having heart disease in my family and suffering a heart attack 2 years ago I can tell you a Dr can say your fine and next thing you know your on a table wondering if these are your last few minutes left and who you wish you could hug. It doesn't matter if you do drugs poor diet and lifestyle or workout religiously one minute your fine and the next your on a gurney. You're completely ignorant and should save your comments for when you are are being asked who to notify!
sorry if I touched a nerve. "Most" heart disease symptoms are preventable. Watch your blood pressure. There are numerous studies that prove what I am talking about. You most definitely can do things to help prevent plaque buildup in arteries. Do some research on ketogenic diets and what it does to increase your good cholesterol and decrease bad cholesterol.

Last edited by 1899b; 10-18-2017 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:21 PM

Not all heart disease is preventable....2 such cases....

- friend of ours, 38 years of age, great shape, never smoked and drank very little had a heart attack....

-family cousin, 34 years of age, golf pro,great shape, never smoked, and drank very little had heart attack....

You cannot argue with real life situations....Both have stints now so do not tell me that lifestyle habits alone give you heart problems.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:28 PM
Banned

edit
Old 10-18-2017, 08:38 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimChance View Post
Those addicts are likely going to end up at the hospital anyway, whether via overdose or via HIV/Hepatitis etc.

If we can cut down the rate of overdose and sharing dirty needles, medical personnel can spend more time on the rest of us.

I'd rather we try be up front and minimize the cost and inconvenience to the rest of us rather than turn a blind eye and have things cost a whole lot more time and money later.
If it were a case of simply fixing the addiction problem with a fix, then I would support it. But that is not the case. Nothing is fixed. The addict is simply treated and continues his addiction on top of the free drugs. This means he s still in the general population committing crimes to service his habit.

If free injection sites and legalizing recreational Marijuana is going to turn the criminal element into contributing taxpaying members of society, then I'm all for it, and we should legalize and subsidize all drugs including Insulin, and cancer meds, and cardio drugs.

We know the crooks will simply switch gears and traffic in something else, like people. Free stuff is never free. There are always spin off industries that are all paid for by.............the taxpayer.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 10-18-2017, 09:03 PM
Banned

Quote:

Acknowledge and i think i understand.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:11 PM
Banned

Quote:

And then what? Jails are full. Can't dry them out in prisons, no shortage of drugs flowing through prisons in Canada. You can't treat an addict that doesn't believe they have a problem, they need to be ready and willing.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
And then what? Jails are full. Can't dry them out in prisons, no shortage of drugs flowing through prisons in Canada. You can't treat an addict that doesn't believe they have a problem, they need to be ready and willing.

Yah put them in jail, spend the money that is being spent on these safe places on a rehab program! Maybe that way they can turn there life around and before an upstanding citizen, instead of a pos drug addicted shooting up!

Old 10-18-2017, 09:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yah put them in jail, spend the money that is being spent on these safe places on a rehab program! Maybe that way they can turn there life around and before an upstanding citizen, instead of a pos drug addicted shooting up!

Love when people look down their noses. I've known many addicts that started on prescription drugs that were legally prescribed. It's time to start educating and controlling doctors, many are giving it out like candy.

Oxy is synthetic heroin, you can't just quit and many are on the stuff long term. After a while it doesn't have the same effect, up the dose -- and then it begins. A friend is taking a few different opiates, he's permanently disabled and he knows he's addicted. Next step is to get off the opiods cause weed seems to do a better job on the pain.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Love when people look down their noses. I've known many addicts that started on prescription drugs that were legally prescribed. It's time to start educating and controlling doctors, many are giving it out like candy.

Oxy is synthetic heroin, you can't just quit and many are on the stuff long term. After a while it doesn't have the same effect, up the dose -- and then it begins. A friend is taking a few different opiates, he's permanently disabled and he knows he's addicted. Next step is to get off the opiods cause weed seems to do a better job on the pain.

Not looking down my nose just calling it the way it is. There’s a big difference in hooked on pain killers cause you suffer from pain then looking for a safe place to shoot up.

Old 10-18-2017, 10:13 PM

Free shooting up, free for all trophy huntin in National Parks..

I do believe I should start doin both, why not??

I have free time, jus waiting for free weed. Hook a feller up??

Shipping is free....
Old 10-18-2017, 10:53 PM

They don't get drugs for free.. They get a safe place to do them to stop the spread of disease and help prevent overdose. Users will use no matter what, in my opinion doing it in a safe environment is better. Maybe a child with a user parent won't have to witness their parents use.
Old 10-18-2017, 10:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
sorry if I touched a nerve. "Most" heart disease symptoms are preventable. Watch your blood pressure. There are numerous studies that prove what I am talking about. You most definitely can do things to help prevent plaque buildup in arteries. Do some research on ketogenic diets and what it does to increase your good cholesterol and decrease bad cholesterol.
Ive discussed Keto with my Dr and my cardiologist it is not recommended for heart patients as you ingest more fat and less carbs but some of the fat is not acceptable ie: bacon which is recommended. Both Drs feel it is too new to pass judgement fully at this time and therefore don't recommend Rather a Mediterranean diet and small portion sizes. Like they told me to tell my kids watch your lifestyle but always know you are in the high risk zone for life. As are you my friend but you can't live your life worrying about it do your best to mitigate risk factors and enjoy the ride we all get bucked off somehow. Cheers!
Old 10-18-2017, 11:12 PM

Quote:
If it were a case of simply fixing the addiction problem with a fix, then I would support it. But that is not the case. Nothing is fixed. The addict is simply treated and continues his addiction on top of the free drugs. This means he s still in the general population committing crimes to service his habit.

If free injection sites and legalizing recreational Marijuana is going to turn the criminal element into contributing taxpaying members of society, then I'm all for it, and we should legalize and subsidize all drugs including Insulin, and cancer meds, and cardio drugs.

We know the crooks will simply switch gears and traffic in something else, like people. Free stuff is never free. There are always spin off industries that are all paid for by.............the taxpayer.
It's not going to stop drug users from using. What it will do is reduce the number of users who contract serious diseases and, if drugs are provided, reduce the number of overdoses.

That's a net benefit to our healthcare system since it's not tied up treating people with HIV/Hepatitis etc. nor are emergency departments full of overdosed users.

Addicts having somewhere clean and warm to get high probably also reduces instances of exposure - less emergency department visits again.

It's less about fixing the problem and more about taking preventative measures to ensure that the burden on our system is as limited as possible.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:17 AM
Banned

Its effectiveness has been proven in other countries Amsterdam was the first and still going strong. Definitely helps ease the burden on emergency services but more importantly to me it keeps needles out of playgrounds and neighborhoods
Old 10-19-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:

I, too, really believe there is so much money to be made by doctors prescribing medication patients don't need. Medication have side effects which damage other organs, create mental issues and, of course, get people hooked and addicted.

Doctors are bribed and corrupted by big pharmaceutical companies .....so of course they prescribe these dangerous and addictive drugs like candy .....Doctors (and their spouse get tag along) go to "pharmaceutical seminars" with first class or private charter flights, luxury accommodations, 5 star gourmet meals, amazing activities, etc... paid by pharmaceutical companies in beautiful locations like Bora Bora to "learn" about a drug they are pitching. Even the doctor who lives in my cul-de-sac joked about going to one of these 3day "seminars" and spending less than a combined 2 hours in the presentation room for a now very popular drug which is now prescribed to millions (and, ironically, has some serious side effects).

Bribery, corruption, etc... exists in all level of government and society and this is, IMO, the biggest issue we have facing our population as a whole as drug overdoses, illnesses, etc... overtake things like heart disease as our number one causes of hospital and medical treatment.

Stuff my tax dollars pay for - as a result of greed and corruption.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:07 AM

So... I have no horse in this race, but...

Does anybody know how many "silent" addicts there are? Those guys/gals who hurt themselves, got a prescription, and now can't break free? I am one of those who have been prescribed opiods. Not sure why (but thankful) but they make me feel really ill. This means I absolutely hate taking them, and literally prefer to suffer as much as I can stand before taking them. I am on the first available alternative.

My point is - not everybody is able to resist the pain relief/high that comes with it. This is not necessarily a mental thing, but a physical thing. Do you start blaming Joe Who, who had a piece of drill stem drop on him? How about the grandmother down the street who threw her back out picking up her grandkid?

AO has become a very intolerant, one sided, judgemental group. I have no issue with people being educated and making a decision (whether I agree or disagree) but the last while there have been a lot of knee jerk, black/white, uninformed opinions. Make an informed decision. Make an informed argument. Stop with the "let the addicts die cause they are junkies" attitude.

So I'll ask again - slightly differently worded. What is the percentage of "silent" addicts? The grandmothers, the rig workers, your neighbors who spout exactly your opinions cause that is what everybody expects? Do you want them to have the same treatment you propose as the ones who have slipped a bit further down the social ladder?

For the record, I am anti drug, not sold on injection sites despite having done reading, and definitely against what I see as an over prescription of opiods. I do think the injection sites are a cheaper alternative to sending ambulances to pick up people who are down, taking resources away from those who are suffering heart attacks, car accidents, whatever. Still not sold on them. Emotional, not logical. But I'm willing to admit it.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:29 AM

People on here who are against this have not seen the issue first hand. Do you know how many meth/fentanyl needles i find downtown in Lethbridge? See probably 5-10 needles a day, ive talked to paramedics and cops who all know people who have been poked by these things. Cops cant do too much about it, unless they find the people when they are shooting up.

You can be against safe injection sites all you want but these places will reduce the risk of people spreading HIV and other diseases. This will also help the general public from getting poked with improperly disposed needles as well. They do not hand out drugs at these places, its not a methadone clinic, but they will offer support and provide rehab services. Drug use especially meth and fentanyl have taken over for drinking alcohol in Lethbridge and something has to be done about it.

These drug users/addicts will be doing drugs regardless if there is or isn't a safe injection site, so its a step in the right direction IMO. If you havent seen the problem first hand you have no idea how big of an issue this is and makes your opinion useless. The business i work for has security cameras a lady shooting up all night while baby sitting her 8 year old daughter. If a safe injection site can help that mom and her kid would it not be worth it? The close minded attitude here amazes me comparing eating too much McDonnalds to meth.

Last edited by Husty; 10-19-2017 at 09:37 AM.