Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-19-2017, 09:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
My small dog has squeeky toys and destroys them, usually in minutes. Should I be worried that it will attack a large dog ?
Would have to find a large dog that simulates the sound of a squeak toy, not often you hear it.

But... Put a one year old on the floor, let the baby play with the squeak toy - don't interfere. Would you trust the dog? I hope the answer is yes.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Would have to find a large dog that simulates the sound of a squeak toy, not often you hear it.

But... Put a one year old on the floor, let the baby play with the squeak toy - don't interfere. Would you trust the dog? I hope the answer is yes.
You dont seem to understand that the squeak toy isn't the problem. The problem is that most dogs have it ingrained in their DNA to hunt small game. Small game like mice, rabbits, etc... make those squeak noises. Also why some big dogs will eat their own pups. They think the animal is prey.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
I'm still surprised at how many people treat aggression as a condition that can be fixed.

Aggression itself is generally a symptom of an underlying issue. Think about this...

i've seen older dogs get aggressive due to a mouthful of rotten teeth, do the dental and the dog comes around. I've had toothaches that drove me to near insanity - imagine having a mouthful of them for years, yeah, I'd be grumpy too.
When the ex's dog became aggressive with people and dogs, that was the last symptom I needed to prove he was hypothyroid - and aggression can be a side effect of untreated hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism can be a side effect of spaying and neutering too young - and the dog can't help it. It's medical, and considering we are a pro spay and neuter society...

Aggression can be a side effect of a fearful dog, frustrated dog, bored dogs, dogs with no leadership that feel the human is theirs and they need to protect the property. Lack of socialization, they don't know how to act and correct wrong behaviors. Deeply insecure dogs are some of the most dangerous. The list goes on and on. Fix the underlying issue, and the aggression will go away.

So for people to say that a dog is just aggressive for no reason, I believe there's always a reason.
I do agree that aggressiveness is often due to some exogenous factor (like you said, tooth pain, hyperthyroidism, boredom), but denying that aggression can be sudden and without any known reason is foolish. Humans in society will decide to snap and kill/attack people with no prevailing reason beyond psychological issues (Vince Li, anyone?). Why are dogs any different? As well, even if there is an underlying reason, if the dog has never shown aggressive behavior before but one day snaps due to something related to pain (or otherwise), an owner can only be so proactive. Dog will naturally hide their pain to mask weakness, and short of regular vet check ups, can be difficult for owners to realize.

Anyway, I just want to say my point is that I don't believe dogs are bad animals, I love dogs, and I strongly dislike government involving itself in anything it does not absolutely have to, but I choose to see the issue objectively. In cases of morons putting the security of person and safety of others at risk due to their negligent ownership of potentially dangerous animals, there needs to be formal intervention. Whether that comes in the form of stricter punishment for those who have their dog attack others, or in the form of breed specific legislation, something needs to change if dog attacks are continuing to rise. That is what a society can do to be proactive against dog attacks.

Once again, owning a breed of dog that has potential to be dangerous should not be treated all that differently from firearm ownership. Similarly to how you do not aim a gun at someone, regardless if it is unloaded or not, allowing a dog that is part of a breed that is statistically shown to be dangerous, to run around off leash or without regard of what it could do if it decides to snap, is blatant disregard for others' safety. I don't care if your dog is a "little angel" and would "never hurt a fly". It needs to be treated with respect of what it is potentially capable of.
Old 10-19-2017, 07:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
You dont seem to understand that the squeak toy isn't the problem. The problem is that most dogs have it ingrained in their DNA to hunt small game. Small game like mice, rabbits, etc... make those squeak noises. Also why some big dogs will eat their own pups. They think the animal is prey.
Ahhh, ok... So squeak toys or better yet, the obsession with squeak toys doesn't create prey drive at all?
Old 10-19-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Ahhh, ok... So squeak toys or better yet, the obsession with squeak toys doesn't create prey drive at all?
I don't believe prey drive is created. Some dogs have it and some dogs don't. More of a genetics thing then anything. Fast moving objects initiate my dog's prey drive much more than a squeak.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdAMxr View Post
I don't believe prey drive is created. Some dogs have it and some dogs don't. More of a genetics thing then anything. Fast moving objects initiate my dog's prey drive much more than a squeak.
Most dogs will have it or territorial issues if they haven't been socialized with small animals. Definitely taking chances at the dog park thinking dogs are just going to get along. Problem is people bring dogs they think will be fine, only to find out they're not.
Old 10-19-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
No, but it can create a possessive/territorial issue if not dealt with properly.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Most dogs will have it or territorial issues if they haven't been socialized with small animals. Definitely taking chances at the dog park thinking dogs are just going to get along. Problem is people bring dogs they think will be fine, only to find out they're not.
In the summer time, i'll spend a minimum of 20+ hours a week in dog parks all around the city. busier is better. I guess statistically, my dog should have been maimed or killed by now.

Here's my list of dogs that I would consider pain in the arse at parks. He has never been attacked by a large dog. Again, it's not very often we have issues at the parks.
1. Boxers - they don't learn very fast, they push and push til they get a bite correction then they back down. It was the same with the ex's minpin. If I have to pick one dog that my pup has to physically correct the most - the boxer is it.
2. Labs. Again, don't know when you quit. He's been rolled, flattened and injured twice in dog parks and not through aggression - but aggressive play by Labs.
3. Heeler, again not aggressive. But, they tend to chase and nip to the point I have to intervene. He got fed up one day and pinned a 5 month old to the ground by the head.
4. Shepherd breeds. Again, nothing aggressive, but need to be watched. When they take an interest in my pup, they tend to focus hard - and one is never really sure what they'll do.

He's been physically attacked by two smaller breeds - Boston terrier and french bulldogs. Only injury was a cut eye, frenchie came out of nowhere and had his head in it's mouth. Lets just say the dog didn't come back for another round.

Thousands of dogs met over the course of a summer, and he has never had a bad altercation with a so called "pitbull" breed. One of his "friends" is a 110 pound pit. He tends to gravitate toward pitties, cane corso's, danes etc.it's hilarious to watch a Dane interact with him, they lift his arse off the ground to get a sniff, and he doesn't care. And I can get some video if people would like.

My main thing - start DNA testing dogs that attack. This looks and walks like a duck mentality is getting old.

That's my experience, take it or leave it.

Last edited by silverdoctor; 10-20-2017 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
In the summer time, i'll spend a minimum of 20+ hours a week in dog parks all around the city. busier is better. I guess statistically, my dog should have been maimed or killed by now.

Here's my list of dogs that I would consider pain in the arse at parks. He has never been attacked by a large dog. Again, it's not very often we have issues at the parks.
1. Boxers - they don't learn very fast, they push and push til they get a bite correction then they back down. It was the same with the ex's minpin. If I have to pick one dog that my pup has to physically correct the most - the boxer is it.
2. Labs. Again, don't know when you quit. He's been rolled, flattened and injured twice in dog parks and not through aggression - but aggressive play by Labs.
3. Heeler, again not aggressive. But, they tend to chase and nip to the point I have to intervene. He got fed up one day and pinned a 5 month old to the ground by the head.
4. Shepherd breeds. Again, nothing aggressive, but need to be watched. When they take an interest in my pup, they tend to focus hard - and one is never really sure what they'll do.

He's been physically attacked by two smaller breeds - Boston terrier and french bulldogs. Only injury was a cut eye, frenchie came out of nowhere and had his head in it's mouth. Lets just say the dog didn't come back for another round.

Thousands of dogs met over the course of a summer, and he has never had a bad altercation with a so called "pitbull" breed. One of his "friends" is a 110 pound pit. He tends to gravitate toward pitties, cane corso's, danes etc.it's hilarious to watch a Dane interact with him, they lift his arse off the ground to get a sniff, and he doesn't care. And I can get some video if people would like.

My main thing - start DNA testing dogs that attack.
This looks and walks like a duck mentality is getting old.

If one get attacked by a Labrador retriever, what will one learn from a DNA test?
Old 10-20-2017, 09:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
If one get attacked by a Labrador retriever, what will one learn from a DNA test?
All that - and that's your question? do you have any idea how many people can't identify a breed? I met a woman with a boxer one day, she swore it was a pitbull.

We need hard and fast statistics - and I guarantee, it'll make alot of people take note.

Know how many dogs look like a pit? Do you know how many dogs that look like the "pitbull" attack? Nobody knows. It's always assumed that it was a pit - if no breed is identified in an attack, the media will call it a pit. People don't look for the retractions, all they see is a headline.

Yes, I'm an advocate for the bully breeds.

Last edited by silverdoctor; 10-20-2017 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:56 AM

This thread is hilarious, labs are violent and prone to attacks who would've known, thanks for the laugh this morning.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
This thread is hilarious, labs are violent and prone to attacks who would've known, thanks for the laugh this morning.
AMVA, ASPCA, SPCA etc disagree with you. More and more, labs are being blacklisted by insurance companies. Look up stats of personal injury claims from postal workers for example. So, changes the game - is it the dog or the owner?
Old 10-20-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:

My main thing - start DNA testing dogs that attack. This looks and walks like a duck mentality is getting old.

Again I blame the owners, not the dogs. Owners clearly haven't had their dogs around many small dogs. I really think you should consider finding a dog park that splits between small dogs and big dogs. It's literally a ticking time bomb when you mix the two, and inexperienced owners.

As for the Pit Bulls, and comparing them to Great Danes is laughable. Great Danes are one of the most laid back breeds ever. And people who own a Cane Corso probably dont get it as their first dog and actually know how to train them.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
AMVA, ASPCA, SPCA etc disagree with you. More and more, labs are being blacklisted by insurance companies. Look up stats of personal injury claims from postal workers for example. So, changes the game - is it the dog or the owner?
Ive seen very few "bad" dogs, Ive seen tons of bad owners.... Bad owners typically make "bad" dogs, not always, but most of the time.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Again I blame the owners, not the dogs. Owners clearly haven't had their dogs around many small dogs. I really think you should consider finding a dog park that splits between small dogs and big dogs. It's literally a ticking time bomb when you mix the two, and inexperienced owners.

As for the Pit Bulls, and comparing them to Great Danes is laughable. Great Danes are one of the most laid back breeds ever. And people who own a Cane Corso probably dont get it as their first dog and actually know how to train them.
What are you actually arguing about here? You're supporting my point. And at what point did I say anything bad about danes? Gentle giants - when raised and socialized properly - like any dog. I have met danes with aggression issues - these are the ones that are kept in a managed environment and not socialized. Again, aggression is a symptom of many things.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
What are you actually arguing about here? You're supporting my point. And at what point did I say anything bad about danes? Gentle giants - when raised and socialized properly - like any dog. I have met danes with aggression issues - these are the ones that are kept in a managed environment and not socialized. Again, aggression is a symptom of many things.
Im saying BSL doesn't make sense. Although maybe a course to acquire dog licenses would. To many good dogs have been let down by bad owners!
Old 10-20-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
All that - and that's your question? do you have any idea how many people can't identify a breed? I met a woman with a boxer one day, she swore it was a pitbull.
I was wondering what your point was on DNA. I would think that if the attacking dog was located, the breed could be determined without DNA.

I guess if the suspected dog was an American Pit Bull or a Bull Terrier or an American Staffordshire Terrier and you did not trust the owner to know and it was important for you to absolutely know you could pay for a DNA.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
One year the AKC had stats that showed the labs were responsible for the most bites. For several years lab were really popular and they were very high on the number of litters produced lists.

I don't blame the dogs for the way they are and I do not always think the owners are responsible.

I do blame the over breeding of popular breeds by breeders that just breed for popularity. I blame breeders that don't really care what type of home their puppy goes to. Some people should never own animals and some people do not have the time or skill to make the pup into a good citizen. I blame breeders for not screening enough and allowing these people to have there pups. The overpopulation of unwanted dogs is a problem and I think breeding and producing should be regulated.

When a dog becomes aggressive and there is serious injury or death, I do not think the investigation should stop with the owner but I think the breeder should be checked out.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
I was wondering what your point was on DNA. I would think that if the attacking dog was located, the breed could be determined without DNA.

I guess if the suspected dog was an American Pit Bull or a Bull Terrier or an American Staffordshire Terrier and you did not trust the owner to know and it was important for you to absolutely know you could pay for a DNA.
This looks like a American Staffy doesn't it? It's not, it's a Boxer Labrador cross.

What about this one? Definitely looks like staffy. It's not, just another boxer and Labrador cross.

If either of these dogs attacks a person or another dog - the pitbull gets blamed because of the look. See the point of doing a $60.00 DNA test to get some real statistics?

Montreal passed BSL on 2 serious "pitbull" attacks - one person died. DNA testing showed after the fact that neither had anything to do with "pitbull". One was a Labrador cross. But, too late, the law is passed.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:39 PM

Certain breeds of dogs have different dispositions when it come down to behaviors. Some breeds of dogs have a more aggressive disposition.

I don't, for one minute, believe that you can put "bad owners" as the primary driver for a dogs disposition.

What a "Good Owner" can do, is mitigate (somewhat control) impulsive behaviors, curb instincts and reduce unwanted dispositional behavior (like aggression).

Case in point ......

I have two dogs - one is aggressive and one is well behaved and controlled - am I a good or bad dog owner?

If I'm a bad dog owner them why is one of my dogs well behaved and well controlled? Could it be that dog (a lab/collie) has a gentle disposition while the other dog (Retriever/Coyote) has an aggressive disposition?

That's my point. Blaming it on the "owners" as the "primary" reason is complete BS - it's a combination of owners ability to train a dog and the dog's natural disposition.

Some breeds of dogs (and some species of animals) are just more likely to be aggressive ...... why is that so wrong to say?
Old 10-20-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
This looks like a American Staffy doesn't it? It's not, it's a Boxer Labrador cross.

What about this one? Definitely looks like staffy. It's not, just another boxer and Labrador cross.

If either of these dogs attacks a person or another dog - the pitbull gets blamed because of the look. See the point of doing a $60.00 DNA test to get some real statistics?

Montreal passed BSL on 2 serious "pitbull" attacks - one person died. DNA testing showed after the fact that neither had anything to do with "pitbull". One was a Labrador cross. But, too late, the law is passed.

I don't think either one of those look much like they got much amstaff or pit bull in them.
Old 10-20-2017, 12:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Certain breeds of dogs have different dispositions when it come down to behaviors. Some breeds of dogs have a more aggressive disposition.

I don't, for one minute, believe that you can put "bad owners" as the primary driver for a dogs disposition.

What a "Good Owner" can do, is mitigate (somewhat control) impulsive behaviors, curb instincts and reduce unwanted dispositional behavior (like aggression).

Case in point ......

I have two dogs - one is aggressive and one is well behaved and controlled - am I a good or bad dog owner?

If I'm a bad dog owner them why is one of my dogs well behaved and well controlled? Could it be that dog (a lab/collie) has a gentle disposition while the other dog (Retriever/Coyote) has an aggressive disposition?

That's my point. Blaming it on the "owners" as the "primary" reason is complete BS - it's a combination of owners ability to train a dog and the dog's natural disposition.

Some breeds of dogs (and some species of animals) are just more likely to be aggressive ...... why is that so wrong to say?

Dogs have been domesticated for anywhere from 15,000 to 30,000 years. You really want to bring a yote cross into this?

Quote:
I don't think either one of those look much like they got much amstaff or pit bull in them.
The average person is the one reporting attacks and the average person couldn't distinguish breeds. I've known animal control officers and cops that couldn't identify a boxer from a hole in the ground.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:05 PM

Most terrier breeds have a feisty in your face disposition. This is a characteristic of terriers and some breeders and judges test for it.
If one watches terriers at an all breed dog show you will often see the judge put two dogs face to face. It is expected they should have an in your face attitude. Many terrier breeds were bred for killing small rodents. If you know this about your terrier you should know that that in your face attitude might get him/her in trouble. I think that some terriers think of small dogs and cat as rats.

Some yappy little terriers bring down destruction on themselves from larger dogs but in most cases the larger dog gets blamed. If I had a small dog that I did not want to get into trouble, I would keep him/her very close when in the vicinity of larger dogs. That is the owner responsibility.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Most terrier breeds have a feisty in your face disposition. This is a characteristic of terriers and some breeders and judges test for it.
If one watches terriers at an all breed dog show you will often see the judge put two dogs face to face. It is expected they should have an in your face attitude. Many terrier breeds were bred for killing small rodents. If you know this about your terrier you should know that that in your face attitude might get him/her in trouble. I think that some terriers think of small dogs and cat as rats.

Some yappy little terriers bring down destruction on themselves from larger dogs but in most cases the larger dog gets blamed. If I had a small dog that I did not want to get into trouble, I would keep him/her very close when in the vicinity of larger dogs. That is the owner responsibility.
Spend some time in dog parks - there's alot of misinformation out there. Lots of terriers running around off leash my friend, Jacks, Rats, everything small and large. All friendly enough.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Dogs have been domesticated for anywhere from 15,000 to 30,000 years. You really want to bring a yote cross into this?

The average person is the one reporting attacks and the average person couldn't distinguish breeds. I've known animal control officers and cops that couldn't identify a boxer from a hole in the ground.
Well the average person who doesn't know anything will call him whatever he wants and not wait for the DNA.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post

Case in point ......

I think you are a good owner because you know your dogs.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well the average person who doesn't know anything will call him whatever he wants and not wait for the DNA.
Round and round we went - and you just stated my point.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Spend some time in dog parks - there's alot of misinformation out there. Lots of terriers running around off leash my friend, Jacks, Rats, everything small and large. All friendly enough.
When I lived in Calgary I spent time almost every day in a dog park. For the most part it was just like one big dog party, but I have also seen the fur fly more than a few times. On many of those occasions I think that owners not having control of their dogs was the problem.

I am a dog person and love dogs and especially my dogs. As much as I love my dogs, I realize that not everyone will love my dog as much as I do especially when my dog intrudes on others. If I can not control my dog approaching others I should not be in a dog park. Same goes for anyone that can not keep the love of their life away from others.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Doesn't sound all that friendly especially from your first post telling of the attacks you had to get into and having to get bloody.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Round and round we went - and you just stated my point.
But the need to DNA everything is down right silly.