Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-18-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Why not? We defend the bad apple idiot hunters that make it harder to hunt private land every year that passes. No different.

The some will always have an effect on the all.
We do?
Old 10-19-2017, 07:41 AM

In my opinion the ATV industry has completely **** the bed on this...instead of promoting responsible use, we get TV ads showing 6 seaters blowing through streams, mud and wilderness. What kind of image does that give the uneducated viewer, hence, why are we surprised at the poll?? I enjoy watching Destination Polaris but, to me, they make it more about raw power and bling than they do about outdoor experience...they should be ACTIVELY injecting themselves into this kind of debate.

Couldn't Destination Polaris have a segment (or more segments) on their program highlighting conservation, do's and don't's, etc?

Just my HO...In the words of Jim Shockey...."OK, back to the show"
Old 10-21-2017, 07:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jednastka View Post
I find it interesting that our hunting community has drawn a very clear line between poaching and licensed hunting, and speaks out often and loud about the abuses by poachers, calls for stiffer penalties, and really gets upset (rightfully) that they are occasionally called hunters by the uninformed press.

To my knowledge, no such distinction has been drawn between the law-abiding ATV users and those that are trashing our public land. The uninformed public does not see a difference, and the law-abiding ATV users have not actively campaigned to draw a distinction. Therefore, whenever the question of restrictions on ATV users arises, the law-abiding ATV user groups rise in anger, and do not recognize the source of the problem.

We all need to help in addressing the problem of those trashing our public lands. Maybe we need a word like "poacher" to describe them, and a "Report A Poacher"-like hotline for their excesses.
yes ... I agree
Old 10-21-2017, 07:34 PM

I don't think we need more restrictions, we need more enforcement of existing laws. Enforcement is next to nil (I have called in over a half dozen times to f&w in the last year and a bit with plate #'s, sometimes pictures etc...) never once have they followed up. Unless they simply issue a ticket based on a phone call which is likely not the case nothing gets done. It's frustrating when they could issue enough tickets to pay their salary for the year while helping the environment in a couple hours every few weekends in the spring/summer
Old 10-21-2017, 09:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoytCRX32 View Post
In my opinion the ATV industry has completely **** the bed on this...instead of promoting responsible use, we get TV ads showing 6 seaters blowing through streams, mud and wilderness. What kind of image does that give the uneducated viewer, hence, why are we surprised at the poll?? I enjoy watching Destination Polaris but, to me, they make it more about raw power and bling than they do about outdoor experience...they should be ACTIVELY injecting themselves into this kind of debate.

Couldn't Destination Polaris have a segment (or more segments) on their program highlighting conservation, do's and don't's, etc?

Just my HO...In the words of Jim Shockey...."OK, back to the show"
I have lived in NB, QC, ON, MB and now in AB. There is no controversy anywhere that I've lived in wrt atv's like there is in southern Alberta. I don't know what it is, too many people in the area with not enough crown land, more ecologically sensitive, watershed, mindset,.....I don't know? But I can assure you that people don't cringe in places where I've lived in the past when they watch those commercials. That's pretty much how it is. I know that people that have never known any different are going to think that it's outrageous but that's how it is elsewhere.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I have lived in NB, QC, ON, MB and now in AB. There is no controversy anywhere that I've lived in wrt atv's like there is in southern Alberta. I don't know what it is, too many people in the area with not enough crown land, more ecologically sensitive, watershed, mindset,.....I don't know? But I can assure you that people don't cringe in places where I've lived in the past when they watch those commercials. That's pretty much how it is. I know that people that have never known any different are going to think that it's outrageous but that's how it is elsewhere.
Good points...I know out East they have massive trail systems that accommodate atv's in the summer and sleds in the winter, even going town to town...nothing close to that here in SW Alberta
Old 10-22-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
There is less controversy in most of those places mainly because in those eastern provinces OHV people are organized, they have trail systems with various skill levels required, designated stream crossings, bridges, parking areas, staging areas, campgrounds, monitored and policed. Also used by snowmobiles in winter that are groomed. Basically they have a system of OHV highways and trails that go everywhere in the province anybody would want to go. They have designated areas where guys are allowed to go nutz and rip and tear as much as they want. Yes they still have people going rogue and tearing up the swamps etc where they shouldn't, but not like Alberta where there is little for organized associations and where everyone from all over the province migrates and concentrates in heavy numbers in the small area of foothills and eastern slopes of this province. I'm guessing the density of OHV's used in this area is probably far greater than probably any other non monitored, non enforced public land area in Canada. So yes there is an issue to be addressed. The OHV community needs to lead an initiative to deal with this or they will be regulated by government.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:50 PM
Banned

With a few notable exceptions, Alberta doesn't have a motorized trail system. It has a historic mess of winter cutlines that are unsuitable for summer use. Up to a few years ago, it wasn't even illegal to rip up creeks etc, and given that most places don't even have designated trails there is nothing to enforce.

More rules, mean fewer sustainable trails, which are really expensive to maintain and keep in good condition. Who is going to pay for it. I don't think if even all ATV registration fees went to trails it would be enough to support a system.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:57 PM
Banned

There are way too many, including some voices I've read on this board, that use or excuse OHV use that is irresponsible. The question I wonder is why? Why does anyone think it is there right to tear up the landscape, and then try and defend that action?

I just don't get it.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bighorn River View Post
With a few notable exceptions, Alberta doesn't have a motorized trail system. It has a historic mess of winter cutlines that are unsuitable for summer use. Up to a few years ago, it wasn't even illegal to rip up creeks etc, and given that most places don't even have designated trails there is nothing to enforce.

More rules, mean fewer sustainable trails, which are really expensive to maintain and keep in good condition. Who is going to pay for it. I don't think if even all ATV registration fees went to trails it would be enough to support a system.
This is BS.

Alberta has an amazing network of trails, many of them former seismic lines and forestry cuts, which make for world class OHV trails. They just need to be evaluated and designated accordingly, and then maintained. It doesn't happen overnight, it takes education, awareness and funding but the regulations are in place, they just need to be enforced and expanded.

It's also BS that trails are somehow too expensive to maintain. There are numerous examples all over North America of trail systems that are beautifully maintained and become focal points of sustainable recreation and tourism. There are numerous funding models that have proven very effective and that include both user pay and government funding.
Old 10-22-2017, 06:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
There are way too many, including some voices I've read on this board, that use or excuse OHV use that is irresponsible. The question I wonder is why? Why does anyone think it is there right to tear up the landscape, and then try and defend that action?

I just don't get it.
It's easy to understand......Irresponsible is relative. Your irresponsible is probably not the same other people's. If you wet your pants if you see an ATV crossing a hard bottomed creek at a low speed then maybe you are not using the word irresponsible correctly.

To lobby for a province wide ban on atv's on crown land due to issues in a relatively small portion of Alberta is irresponsible to me.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
It's easy to understand......Irresponsible is relative. Your irresponsible is probably not the same other people's. If you wet your pants if you see an ATV crossing a hard bottomed creek at a low speed then maybe you are not using the word irresponsible correctly.
It's illegal. Just like hunting after legal light.

http://aep.alberta.ca/recreation-pub...motorized.aspx

Quote:
To lobby for a province wide ban on atv's on crown land due to issues in a relatively small portion of Alberta is irresponsible to me.
Not sure if anyone is lobbying for a province wide crown land ban, but certainly on sensitive lands, which most of the east slopes are.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
It's illegal. Just like hunting after legal light.

http://aep.alberta.ca/recreation-pub...motorized.aspx.
Really?

From YOUR link:

"How should I cross a wetland, creek or river?

You may only cross wetlands, creeks or rivers at bridges or lawful crossings."
Old 10-24-2017, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
ATV users are not the only ones with a stake in Alberta’s public lands.
As an ATV user, I support dialogue on ATV use in this province. Either one is proactively addressing the situation or one is reacting to a decreed solution.

What is happening in a lot of areas cannot be tolerated nor justified.

The poll results should be a wake up call to ATV users.
agree^^
Old 10-24-2017, 08:40 PM

we should ban ATVs on public land. too much nuisance and the damage they leave behind takes years to clean up. you can't go enjoy a normal hike anymore without someone up in your business with their ATV riding in rivers , creeks and cutting down trees to make new trails from them and their hommies .

its time we ban it and give them a couple of areas where they can play. no more access to public land
Old 10-24-2017, 08:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by srs123 View Post
we should ban ATVs on public land. too much nuisance and the damage they leave behind takes years to clean up. you can't go enjoy a normal hike anymore without someone up in your business with their ATV riding in rivers , creeks and cutting down trees to make new trails from them and their hommies .

its time we ban it and give them a couple of areas where they can play. no more access to public land
I agree 100%, but we should also ban access to hikers. The amount of garbage left behind by those who don’t care is bordering on an international crisis.

Shut it all down. No questions asked.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
I agree 100%, but we should also ban access to hikers. The amount of garbage left behind by those who don’t care is bordering on an international crisis.

I think you might be onto something here. EVERYONE , to your basement. grab your coloured crayons and sign and lets go riot at city hall. shut it all down
Old 10-25-2017, 12:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Really?

From YOUR link:

"How should I cross a wetland, creek or river?

You may only cross wetlands, creeks or rivers at bridges or lawful crossings."
Glad you saw the bolded, as we've all seen tons of pictures where people are crossing right beside a bridge put in.

And that is the problem. Too many, way too many, are not crossing at those bridges or lawful crossings. We all know that is the reality.
Old 10-25-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srs123 View Post

We hiked into Ribbon falls a couple of years ago and had to clean up a mess left by someone. Don't think that just because you're a hiker that you're any better or entitled to anything more than an ATVer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post

Yep, give it all back to nature. Most people are blinded by their own agenda. That's why I don't frequent this forum as much as I used to. The self entitlement of people is ever increasing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk