Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2017, 01:19 PM

Default Maybe its time auto makers drop this removable option.

Just curious to know how often people remove their tailgates?
I've owned at least a dozen trucks over my lifetime I maybe took mine off twice.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:32 PM

Put a big ugly dent in your tail gate.
So far this has deterred the theft of mine.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I've owned at least a dozen trucks over my lifetime I maybe took mine off twice.
Depends on how you use the truck I guess. Payload cap. of a 1/2-ton might be 1700 lbs. No way I'd put that kind of weight onto the gate while rolling it into the box.

I could never find anyone who could give me a straight answer though, on exactly what weight loading the gate cables could take
Old 10-22-2017, 02:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty View Post
Depends on how you use the truck I guess. Payload cap. of a 1/2-ton might be 1700 lbs. No way I'd put that kind of weight onto the gate while rolling it into the box.

I could never find anyone who could give me a straight answer though, on exactly what weight loading the gate cables could take
Sometimes you just have to find out yourself.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Sometimes you just have to find out yourself.
Or not.

Anecdotal evidence from various discussion blogs indicates the gate will crease before a newer set of cables breaks under excessive load. That could be the reason people are swiping $ 6000.- gates.

Usually there's enough clearance between the outside edge of the bumper and the surface of a closed gate to take most vehicle impacts. So usually the gate should stay out of harm's way, unless you're in the habit of reversing into backhoes and forklifts.

No reason for any of it though; there's lots of loading docks around, whether static or mechanical. Even making one out of bolted 2x8's on edge wouldn't require a rocket scientist. Pop off the gate and load your gun safe or diesel engine using the dock.
Old 10-22-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
For $9000 I would be looking for a hydra-deck. I don't know what they're worth new but sure would be handy.
We got one for a work truck and truck was about 10k here in Montana.

A few years ago outside of sylvan lake family had a dodge 1 ton on their property for sale. Guy calls and asks if it was in an accident. We did the no why and he said the bumper was missing. Sure enough someone stole the front bumper and one tow hook. From dodge that was pushing 3000$ and that was 9 years ago. Some people just have sticky fingers. Avoid the hassle, dent your tailgate early on...
Old 10-22-2017, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
....aftermarket tailgates are a lot cheaper.
Cat
Rockauto sells the shell for $447.85, think the handle is $12.00.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:47 PM
Banned

Quote:

I've had well over 1000 lbs on mine.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:51 PM

Talking

I am amazed that Mr 'if you buy expensive stuff to make yourself feel better about yourself dont whine when it is stolen'
2 whole pages and nothing yet?? Slipping

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-22-2017, 04:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda450 View Post
Are those tailgates alum. ?
I think he was talking about the " Heated Ford Tailgate "..... $9000
Old 10-22-2017, 05:48 PM

Theft is everywhere, the thevin Bastards should stick to stealing from the thevin bastards at the dealerships. Ford are one of the biggest thrives.
Old 10-22-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I've taken my tail gate off twice as well. Once because I was backing up a flat deck trailer and couldn't see the trailer with the tailgate up (and couldn't turn the trailer with the tailgate down). The other time was I took it off just to see how easy it was to take off.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
[...] 'if you buy expensive stuff to make yourself feel better about yourself dont whine when it is stolen' [...]
xACTLY. A one-ton is supposed to be a working truck, not some prissied-up snowflake's orgasm chock full of consumer electronics and a hundred pounds of extra crap shoe-horned into the gate. Prolly has deep-pile carpet going half way up the walls, back seat video screen and a drink cooler too.

Stairs, video camera, integrated walking cane, and a 2000 dollar decal for a pickup gate?? Gimmee a freakin' break.

At least provide a 100 dollar option for a stainless steel handle cover that can't be smacked to smithereens.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:42 AM

A little off topic maybe????

Maybe you should start your own thread about why 1 ton trucks shouldn't have carpet.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Exactly how do you steal a locked tailgate? (cap or no cap)

And if it wasn't locked, WTF??
YES the tailgate was locked and so was the cap, I don't know how to steal a locked tailgate I am not a criminal
Old 10-23-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
xACTLY. A one-ton is supposed to be a working truck, not some prissied-up snowflake's orgasm chock full of consumer electronics and a hundred pounds of extra crap shoe-horned into the gate. Prolly has deep-pile carpet going half way up the walls, back seat video screen and a drink cooler too.

Stairs, video camera, integrated walking cane, and a 2000 dollar decal for a pickup gate?? Gimmee a freakin' break.

At least provide a 100 dollar option for a stainless steel handle cover that can't be smacked to smithereens.
Just to be clear for you, This is a work truck, I am definitely not a prissied-up snowflake, I am an outdoorsman that owns a small company with 1 highend truck that I spend 10-12 hours a day in. I just wanted to spread the word that criminals will steal anything these days. It's called a bed rug not carpet!!
Old 10-23-2017, 08:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbloom View Post
Just to be clear for you, This is a work truck, I am definitely not a prissied-up snowflake, I am an outdoorsman that owns a small company with 1 highend truck that I spend 10-12 hours a day in. I just wanted to spread the word that criminals will steal anything these days. It's called a bed rug not carpet!!
No need to defend yourself. Some people have the drive to work hard and have nice things while some don't and are jealous.