Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-17-2017, 04:49 PM

I was out at the Daysland site on Monday, I had a couple of great walks, with my husky under my arm, and I felt great. I didn't see any pheasants but there was a chance I might have, and that makes the 100km trip worth while. This is the second time I've been out this year, and I for one just enjoy getting out and walking around with a shotgun under my arm. It brings back memories of growing up on a farm in the Bawlf area, same terrain, and as your growing old you need to bring back those memories. And as a side note I have never seen the release truck, and I would never go on weekend when there might be hi activity. I imagine everyone that uses that site, uses it for a different reason, and all is fine.
My thanks goes out to the Alberta Conservation Association for making this available to me.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:10 PM

Default Request for all who post on this thread

Hey guys. Just a gentle reminder to keep this thread about updates at the pheasant release sites across the province (good or bad). The birds are put there to be shot, plain and simple, so let's not transfer our personal ideas of what pheasant hunting should or should not be onto others. That only ends up in arguments between guys who would likely get along great face to face. Let's all be sporting. Let's all be safe. Let's all be thankful for what most of us feel is a great program, even with any warts it may have.
Old 10-17-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
What difference does it make if the birds are "slaughtered" by a few buddies in the parking lot or by you and your buddies a half mile away. Your bird is held under point until you walk up to him and you have proclaimed yourself on numerous occasions as an expert wing shot.

The chances of the bird's survival is likely higher in the parking lot than out in the field with you and your dog. If fact; I would wager a large amount of the birds you "slaughter" have zero chance of survival as compared to 20-50% at release.

"Sporting" or "Fair Chase" does refer to the animal or bird's chances of surviving. The greater the chance of survival, the greater the challenge or more ethical the hunt.

The real problem here is that some believe that their enjoyment is greater or more important than someone else's enjoyment. Ground swatting a pheasant may be more challenging and exciting to a new or occasional hunter than a perfect point and flush is to someone else.

I like the idea of a "timeout period" when the birds are released but tricking people into missing a release day is selfish and harmful to the sport. Nobody wants to drive an hour or two with zero chance of seeing a bird and many can hardly afford the trip. A couple or three useless trips and that person might just give up on pheasants altogether. As you know, the more involved the better with the chance of more sites and more birds.

You do realize that the majority are not expert hunters, do not have well trained dogs and are not expert wing shots. In a democratic system the majority might argue that expert hunters and wing shots be banned from the sites to encourage a fairer chase and an increased chance of more birds remaining on non release days.
In the frenzy of trying to shoot the birds as they leave the crates some people shoot at several birds so even if they only take home two, they may wound or kill as many more. The fact that myself and densa44 have had our dogs find as many as five freshly killed or crippled birds after a release, supports that theory. On the other hand, if I come along a few hours after a release, or the next day, the birds have had a considerable opportunity to find cover, or to leave the site altogether. And even if my dog finds a bird after it reaches the heavy cover, it still has a fair chance to escape by flying through the trees and offering no clear shot. Or the bird may run and flush at 40 or 50 yards, and unlike some people, I will choose not to shoot that far. You won't hear four five or six shots at one bird when myself and my hunting partners are at a release site, and you won't see many birds fly off that we shoot at. And if a bird does fly off we follow up, so that we are't leaving wounded birds in the field. I have seen several incidents where people shoot at birds, wound them, and then continue after another bird rather than follow up on the one that they shot at. Last Wednesday, we saw two people fire five shots at one bird, I saw the legs drop, and they didn't bother to follow up, even though they had a dog. So now, having dogs and shooting better, does not mean that you are going to kill more birds, although you should wound a lot less, and waste fewer birds as a result.

Quote:
I was out at the Daysland site on Monday, I had a couple of great walks, with my husky under my arm, and I felt great. I didn't see any pheasants but there was a chance I might have, and that makes the 100km trip worth while. This is the second time I've been out this year, and I for one just enjoy getting out and walking around with a shotgun under my arm. It brings back memories of growing up on a farm in the Bawlf area, same terrain, and as your growing old you need to bring back those memories. And as a side note I have never seen the release truck, and I would never go on weekend when there might be hi activity. I imagine everyone that uses that site, uses it for a different reason, and all is fine.
My thanks goes out to the Alberta Conservation Association for making this available to me
I was out Monday as well, and even though we saw no birds, and heard no shots, we had a good walk, and got some fresh air. There obviously was no Monday release , so the last release would have been Friday, which explains no birds. Hopefully, no release yesterday means that they are mixing up the schedule to become less predictable.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 10-17-2017 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Gone!

I will provide an update with this post. Was at Daysland for an hour and a half this morning, and only found one rooster

http://www.ab-conservation.com/progr...release-sites/

There is the release site information. Please remember these birds can travel huge distances in a very short time if there are hunting or predatory pressures. They are survivors.

And watch out for record numbers of hens. You don’t want to be caught harvesting one of the thousands of hens released by ACA and raised by the 4H clubs.

Have safe fun hunting ethically and responsibly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-18-2017, 02:28 PM

Plenty of birds at Daysland today. I assume they released yesterday. Invited a father and son to hunt with me and my dog today, we had a great time and everyone was limited out in less than 90 minutes. All birds were in the brush.
Old 10-18-2017, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
To answer the question, a very good thread was deleted because of ridiculous infighting that is the same as derails. People complained about the stupid bickering. It won't be tolerated going forward. Read between the lines. Let's keep this one productive for hunters looking for information. Enough said.

As for the sites, the three I've hunted on weekends have held birds. Good luck boys.
why dont you just delete the posts instead of the whole thread?
Old 10-18-2017, 02:51 PM

I’m grateful for the ACA, pheasant release sites, pheasants, wild birds, and the hunting opportunities in this great province. I’m even grateful for the chicken truck showing up and giving my friends nine year old son a thrilling afternoon. He was so excited he has convinced his parents to take a rooster to the taxidermist. 8 flushes and 6 retrieves is great experience for a 6 month old pup and a life changing one for a nine year old boy. Two grown men and a grandfather happened to appreciate the opportunity too.

Old 10-18-2017, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatshooter View Post
I’m grateful for the ACA, pheasant release sites, pheasants, wild birds, and the hunting opportunities in this great province. I’m even grateful for the chicken truck showing up and giving my friends nine year old son a thrilling afternoon. He was so excited he has convinced his parents to take a rooster to the taxidermist. 8 flushes and 6 retrieves is great experience for a 6 month old pup and a life changing one for a nine year old boy. Two grown men and a grandfather happened to appreciate the opportunity too.

Now that's a cool story!

BW
Old 10-18-2017, 07:22 PM

At Daysland today. Nice day out but only 2 birds put up and 1 ruffie. We stayed north as it was busier in the south and after a shotgun shower from a guy hunting close with 2 others near the lake, heading into less visible areas didn't seem like a good idea. They said they didn't see us but I'd already seen them and had started to move away (I was wearing blaze and red). A reminder to watch your shot.
Old 10-18-2017, 09:38 PM

Default South Plain

Hunted from 3 - 6:30. Not many birds. Heard one shot.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:07 PM

Got one that has 31 bands on its tail. Not sure how to post pic.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:57 AM

Went out with the wife and our dog yesterday at Hopewell and Namaka, was out from about 10am-1pm, no luck. Didn't hear a single shot at either place, but lots of other hunters out there, most with dogs. May have been to windy to pick up scent?

However, my pup flushed a partridge in short grass on our way back to the truck. I had just taken the shells out of my shotgun not a minute before since we were almost at the parking lot back at Namaka... Oh well, next time I guess
Old 10-20-2017, 10:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
And yet every time something careless or unsafe is reported to be occurring at a release site, the same individual responds that it couldn't possibly be happening, and it must be fake news.

Only an idiot would be ricocheting SKS rounds off of the water at a release site, with other people in the near vicinity.
It's a pity that some hunters are finding themselves in unsafe situations at some release sites. So far the worst things Iv'e seen is some littering or some minor trespassing.
I have mentioned several times that if someone witness's careless or unsafe behaviour, they should either report it to the proper authorities, along with any info, pics, plate#'s, etc. that they can gather. Another idea would be to talk to the other hunter and inform them that what they are doing might be unsafe or inappropriate. This way we could educate the offenders and hopefully make it safer for all of us in the future. Some offenders might not even be aware that they are doing something wrong.
Posting stories about something that you witnessed, or your friend witnesed, or a friend of a friend heard about might make for some interesting reading and lively discussion, but I don't see how it helps solve anything. If anything, it just seems to fuel rumors and paint an incorrect picture of what happens at a release site. I have seen a couple posts where someone who wanted to hunt pheasants for the first time say they are scared to do so, and that is trully sad.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
It's a pity that some hunters are finding themselves in unsafe situations at some release sites. So far the worst things Iv'e seen is some littering or some minor trespassing.
I have mentioned several times that if someone witness's careless or unsafe behaviour, they should either report it to the proper authorities, along with any info, pics, plate#'s, etc. that they can gather. Another idea would be to talk to the other hunter and inform them that what they are doing might be unsafe or inappropriate. This way we could educate the offenders and hopefully make it safer for all of us in the future. Some offenders might not even be aware that they are doing something wrong.
Posting stories about something that you witnessed, or your friend witnesed, or a friend of a friend heard about might make for some interesting reading and lively discussion, but I don't see how it helps solve anything. If anything, it just seems to fuel rumors and paint an incorrect picture of what happens at a release site. I have seen a couple posts where someone who wanted to hunt pheasants for the first time say they are scared to do so, and that is trully sad.
You are one person, visiting one site, so of course you aren't going to see everything that goes on at all of the release sites. But just because you don't see something, doesn't mean that it desn't happen. And letting people know what is happening, is giving them a realistic impression of what goes on at a release site. Purposely withholding information about incidents that occur ensures that nothing will ever be done to change things. I would rather be aware of what can happen, so that I can prepare accordingly to reduce the odds of them occurring to me.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
You are one person, visiting one site, so of course you aren't going to see everything that goes on at all of the release sites. But just because you don't see something, doesn't mean that it desn't happen. And letting people know what is happening, is giving them a realistic impression of what goes on at a release site. Purposely withholding information about incidents that occur ensures that nothing will ever be done to change things. I would rather be aware of what can happen, so that I can prepare accordingly to reduce the odds of them occurring to me.
I really should ignore you, but lets see if we can argue without arguing.
I never said that things never happened. I never said they shouldn't be reported on this forum.
I do say that simply telling the stories on this forum does little to prevent the same thing from happening again if we don't do more to help stop it.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:25 AM

Next person to derail the intended purpose of this thread (hunting success or lack of success), is going away for a while. I'm sick of warning. End of story.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Old 10-21-2017, 09:32 AM

Default McVinnie

Just wondering if anyone has a update how things are at mcvinnie?

Thx
Old 10-21-2017, 12:22 PM

Was out at Daysland this morning. Arrived at 8 4 other trucks parked on 855. Drove to the north west side saw one pheasant roosting in a tree on the south boundary. Parked and hunted the north 1/2 of the site never saw a pheasant. Spent 3 hours zigzagging about hunting the edges etc. Jumped a red tail hawk out of the tall grass on the way to the truck. Saw 4 other hunters. Beautiful morning lots of geese flying and roosting in the fields on the drive home. Thinking of heading to Two Hills or maybe Bigelow tomorrow.

BW
Old 10-21-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
Went out with the wife and our dog yesterday at Hopewell and Namaka, was out from about 10am-1pm, no luck. Didn't hear a single shot at either place, but lots of other hunters out there, most with dogs. May have been to windy to pick up scent?
Releases don't seem to be happening very often at a lot of sites. We spent 3.5 hours at Frank Lake yesterday afternoon and didn't see a single bird. A couple of shots from guys walking around on the private quarter to the North, but that was it. A couple of hunters who have been checking the site daily told me that there hadn't been a release yet, which seems really odd (if true). Last year we found birds every time we went there.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 10-21-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
Releases don't seem to be happening very often at a lot of sites. We spent 3.5 hours at Frank Lake yesterday afternoon and didn't see a single bird. A couple of shots from guys walking around on the private quarter to the North, but that was it. A couple of hunters who have been checking the site daily told me that there hadn't been a release yet, which seems really odd (if true). Last year we found birds every time we went there.
I agree with your comment on releases. Last year I found a birds every time out. This year not so much.

They're probably releasing weekly but my timing is off. I'll keep trying though!

BW
Old 10-21-2017, 04:40 PM

Went to South Plain site today. Saw 1 bird on road while arriving, shooed him back onto site and shot heard just after told me he is done. Walked a ton and didn't find another bird at all. Went far out into east 1/4 and didn't find a thing. Nice day though and it's not all about the shooting opportunities.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:29 PM

Spent 3.5 hours walking Daysland on Friday evening. Put up 1 bird and 1 white-tail. I saw the white-tail about 30 seconds before the pheasant went up so I figured the dog was onto the deer. I should know to always trust the dog. Saw 4 other hunters and heard about 2 shots in total. One pheasant road hunter in a blue Toyota sedan. Not sure I get the sport in ground sluicing road pheasants but I've seen him do it.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursus View Post
Spent 3.5 hours walking Daysland on Friday evening. Put up 1 bird and 1 white-tail. I saw the white-tail about 30 seconds before the pheasant went up so I figured the dog was onto the deer. I should know to always trust the dog. Saw 4 other hunters and heard about 2 shots in total. One pheasant road hunter in a blue Toyota sedan. Not sure I get the sport in ground sluicing road pheasants but I've seen him do it.
A friend called me at around noon Thursday and told me the release truck was parked at the entrance at Daysland, but seeing how few birds there were Friday, I am wondering if he actually released any birds.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 10-21-2017 at 08:06 PM.
Old 10-21-2017, 08:49 PM

I should have added that we also found 4 fresh predator kills. I think the local predators have figured out the pheasants out. I've seen several owls every time I'm there - horned owls.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursus View Post
I should have added that we also found 4 fresh predator kills. I think the local predators have figured out the pheasants out. I've seen several owls every time I'm there - horned owls.
We covered a lot of area in South Plain on Wednesday afternoon, got a ruffy, put up 2 roosters and found 8 recent sites with predator kills. I was back there today from about noon to 2:30 -- covered a different area, saw a fair number of people, heard 1 set of shots (3), dog found evidence of a 3 sites with quite a few feathers and parts. My take is something is getting a few birds other than the hunters.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:03 PM

We hunted Daysland this afternoon. Got there about noon and there were no trucks parked on the highway side. Walked in about 5 minutes and the dog flushed a ruffed grouse. Never expected to see one there with all that hunting pressure. Anyway, we flushed it a second time and it flew off again towards the parking area. Then the release truck drove in so we decided rather than follow it in we'd go back to the entrance and find that grouse. The dogs flushed it a third time and I still didn't get a shot. Oh well.

So we started walking back in and about 15 minutes later the dogs on point. We never found what it was pointing so we continued on. A few minutes later the dog was way out of range and flushed a pheasant. We were walking towards where it landed when our old Britt who is deaf and on a check cord (she was actually retired last season but we brought her along for a walk) went on point. I saw the pheasant just before it took off and managed to swing around and hit it. Good old girl had one more in her I guess!!! We were so happy for her!!!

about 20 minutes after that the younger Britt went on point. I walked up and could see the pheasant in the tall grass about 10 feet away. I tried to get Piper to flush it but she wouldn't break point so I walked in and it took off. It went down after the second barrel and Piper ran into the thick brush and brought it to my feet. Good girl!!

Walking out we saw about half a dozen other hunters, we flushed 3 or 4 more birds, and heard about a dozen shots. Was a good afternoon. Rather than head home we went to Sherwood Park Fish and Game and set up camp for the night. Maybe we'll head back to Daysland again tomorrow, if the old Britt isn't too sore.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:32 PM

I had a brain cramp and thought that my site for the Taber festival was today and not next week like it really is. Hotel booked and everything. So we went to the release site by Walsh this morning instead. We had a great morning. Three dogs and 4 shooters put up 11 birds of which seven ended up in the bag. Warden was on fire putting up 10 of the birds and finding the crippled runner 11th.

Now I have a good excuse to come back next Saturday too.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 10-22-2017, 12:33 PM

I spoke with AB Cons and they told mme the law changes two years ago??? No 2:00 end anymore. Same sun up and down rues as everywhere else apply.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:33 PM

Namaka Lake today.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 10-24-2017, 04:35 PM

We heard three shots at Bigelow today, none of which were ours. There were five parties hunting