Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-21-2017, 03:59 PM

Default Cabelas vs canadian tire

Last night I noticed that the new canadian tire, that’s being built on Manning drive in Edmonton, has a big fluorescent sign saying “ canadas hunting and fishing store”! Looks like Cabelas is going to have a little competition as the two stores are walking distance apart!!
Old 10-21-2017, 04:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonedocks View Post
Last night I noticed that the new canadian tire, that’s being built on Manning drive in Edmonton, has a big fluorescent sign saying “ canadas hunting and fishing store”! Looks like Cabelas is going to have a little competition as the two stores are walking distance apart!!
Ingenious, especially being in the same complex as Cabelas. Hillarious.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:35 PM

Canadian Tire is right beside the Cabelas in Calgary too.
Old 10-21-2017, 05:12 PM

Looks like I’m shopping for hunting stuff at crappy tire ... just like the old days lol
Old 10-21-2017, 05:57 PM

That’s the beauty of a free country

You can call yourself a super hero, and if enough people agree, well, you’re a super hero!

People walk in to both stores.

One is a hunting fishing camping store.

One has hunting fishing camping stuff.

Competition is a great thing. Let’s hope UFA doesn’t buy CT!
Old 10-21-2017, 06:00 PM
Banned

Same thing in windemere. Same thing in South common except wholesale instead of cabelas
Old 10-21-2017, 07:33 PM

Default I like it

Quote:
Competition is a great thing. Let’s hope UFA doesn’t buy CT!
perfect!!!
Old 10-21-2017, 07:40 PM

Funny how CT has hunting stuff but CT last year took all of it's fur clothing items out of the store due to Anti protests! Basically hurting trappers.
But hunting stuff is o.k? I now try to buy stuff other places than CT if I can help it. Same with Sport check and Mec. All Anti fur and Anti hunting supporters..
Old 10-21-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Funny how CT has hunting stuff but CT last year took all of it's fur clothing items out of the store due to Anti protests! Basically hurting trappers.
But hunting stuff is o.k? I now try to buy stuff other places than CT if I can help it. Same with Sport check and Mec. All Anti fur and Anti hunting supporters..
A lot of their stores stopped selling SKS rifles in the last couple of weeks too.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:06 AM

CT stores (like the one near me, which carries hunting supplies and firearms) have nothing like the selection of Cabela's. There is no competition.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 10-22-2017, 11:11 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bowhunter12 View Post
Looks like I’m shopping for hunting stuff at crappy tire ... just like the old days lol
Still do but like to walk around cabellas

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-22-2017, 12:29 PM

I have found that the price of ammo at CT is way better than Cabelas. Only problem is less selection available.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:32 PM
Banned

CT in Lethbridge would not be competition for Cabelas.

Hopefully Park Place Mall is actively trying to attract Cabelas to fill the soon to be empty space.
Old 10-28-2017, 01:19 AM

Sometime's i've found Canadian Tire expensive, depend's on sale's, i do know one thing, if Never been to Canadian Tire South Common, good to take a look, Unbelievable selection of Fire Arm's, first time i've seen a $ 6000.00 410, they also had a Steyr in .300 rem mag, was very surprised, guy said they would match pricing, but can't confirm that, dont think there is a Gun Store in Edmonton that carry Steyr's, i know P&D used to as i bought mine there some year's ago, anyway was Very Surprised, there Henry's were cheaper than Cabela's.
Old 10-28-2017, 01:28 AM

Sometime's i've found Canadian Tire expensive, depend's on sale's, i do know one thing, if Never been to Canadian Tire South Common, good to take a look, Unbelievable selection of Fire Arm's, first time i've seen a $ 6000.00 410, they also had a Steyr in .300 rem mag, was very surprised, guy said they would match pricing, but can't confirm that, dont think there is a Gun Store in Edmonton that carry Steyr's, i know P&D used to as i bought mine there some year's ago, anyway was Very Surprised, there Henry's were cheaper than Cabela's.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:37 AM
Banned

I’d be careful with their price match policy. I had them flat out deny that they would on firearms or ammo. Other than that, they don’t have much that you can get anywhere else. But they do have some stuff they might be willing to match prices on.

I asked if they would match on one particular rifle, I showed them they were 20% higher and the manager told me there was no way they would match on firearms.
Old 10-28-2017, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alacringa View Post
CT stores (like the one near me, which carries hunting supplies and firearms) have nothing like the selection of Cabela's. There is no competition.
Exactly,I rarely shop at Cabelas, but I never bother with Canadian Tire for hunting and shooting supplies. I generally shop at a couple of smaller gun shops for shooting supplies, and I only resort to Cabelas for clothing, decoys, etc.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:05 AM
Banned

Crappy tire is like McDonalds garbage food, it'll push a turd, if yer in a bind somewhere like Lloyd crappy tire might have what you need,but, probably not😂 if yer lookin fer a 10$ Barbie rod crappy tire is yer huckleberry!!
Old 10-28-2017, 08:30 AM
Banned

Have any of you been to the Canadian tire outdoor store in Fort mcmurray? It's pretty nice. Awesome firearm selection and dedicated solely to outdoor pursuits.
Old 10-28-2017, 08:48 AM

I’ll second the reference to the Canadian Tire at South Edmonton Common, I was through it twice when up there on a contract and the place is surprisingly large, the first two-storey CT I’ve ever seen. The hunting and outdoors section takes up probably 40% of the second level, and that second level is the size of some entire CT stores I’ve been to. I found the setback from their gun counter to the wall of firearms rather curious though both from a visibility standpoint as well as efficiency of using their square footage. No gun counter needs the space to stand 4-6 staffers in a line between the counter and the firearms rack behind them, why that one chooses to seems curious.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:55 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerThomson View Post
Have any of you been to the Canadian tire outdoor store in Fort mcmurray? It's pretty nice. Awesome firearm selection and dedicated solely to outdoor pursuits.
The CT in COLD LAKE was like that also.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:07 AM

I passed by Strathmore AB and I was amazed at their new gun counter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-28-2017, 11:14 AM
Banned

With Wholesale gone, Canadian Tire will definitely get some of the "gun" business, as would any other store.

Some will shop there just because of the "Canadian" but if there selection and availability is good they should do well, but will need to staff the gun section with some knowledgeable staff.

My experience with Canadian Tire in the past has basically been that of a self serve store. Clerks are not to familiar with the stock or where it is and don't want to look for it, mostly they just stock shelves.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:22 PM
Banned

The South common ct has some reloading supplies too which is alright.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:34 PM

Cabella's still sell the SKS, just an observation.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:49 PM

Canadian Tire sometimes has sale on ammo like no one I am aware off. I just can't figure out when and how often. But I definitely bought some ammo for my 243, 308, 30-06 etc. at 40-50% off quite a few times.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:32 PM

I went to the new manning Canadian tire and I was not very impressed with there outdoors section was hoping for more variety
Old 10-29-2017, 01:35 PM

I have been denied on price matches outright on firearms and ammunition at shawnessy CT before. Haven't tried on reloading items, and I haven't seen any sales on firearms or ammunition there. That doesn't mean they haven't happened.
Cabela's and Bass Pro haven't had the ammunition I was looking for every time i've been.
Luckily I was able to buy about a dozen boxes all at once at my CT.

Flanny
Old 10-29-2017, 03:15 PM
Banned

CT will be as good as anyone . And Canadian . support them and stop your whining ,which is a plague
Old 10-29-2017, 04:49 PM

How Canadian is CT?