Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-21-2017, 11:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Shoot straight!
Checked the game camera this morning and got this guy on camera. Had a couple stalks on him so far but couldn't close the deal either time.

I'd really like to get this guy because of his bent tine

I've seen a couple bigger bulls around here than the ones on my game camera this year, there are a lot to choose from so I'm not going to rush it. I enjoy the hunt.
Old 10-21-2017, 12:06 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Hope you put it all together!
Miss the time when you could just buy an archery tag

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-21-2017, 03:16 PM

Just passed on what I’m 90% sure was a cinnamonish coloured black bear. Spent the morning hiking an area and scouting some spots for whitetail season and also bear sign.. Shoot a couple grouse while I’m out. Decide I’ll head home early, sure enough as I’m driving back and spot a real nice size bear on a hillside. Bigger ears, no pronounced hump, longer nose (light coloured like a black bear nose). I’m a new hunter and just couldn’t put 100% confidence that it wasn’t a grizz as he was the same colour as one. Oh well still got time for a bear. If he was black I probably would have had my first bear though!
Old 10-21-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Have you ever passed up an animal because it was too easy?

I did this morning. 4 bull moose, 1 cow, had my choice of the bunch but chose not to shoot. I was driving to my buddies place to hunt, drove right up to the 5 moose, got out and ranged them at 45-55yds and they could care less about me.

I've got my bull draw and I've seen over 20 bulls so far this season. I have no doubt I'll get one whether it be with my bow or my rifle but it just didn't feel right today even though I was on private land where I had permission and 2 of the bulls were shooters for sure. I could have even used his front end loader to load it on my truck!
Probably would have made an awesome pic...
Old 10-21-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Checked the game camera this morning and got this guy on camera. Had a couple stalks on him so far but couldn't close the deal either time.

I'd really like to get this guy because of his bent tine

I've seen a couple bigger bulls around here than the ones on my game camera this year, there are a lot to choose from so I'm not going to rush it. I enjoy the hunt.
Enjoy your hunt KURT ,I am very confident that you will put it all together when the timing is right,you have the time so the best part of hunting is seeing and passing up,cause once you put one down it's over for that hunt.
Being out there and seeing stuff is the best part of the hunt period.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
"Make the decision and enjoy life"
Cat
That’s a fantastic line!
Old 10-22-2017, 06:40 PM

Tag soup sucks
Old 10-22-2017, 06:48 PM

Passed up a 160 class mule deer at 25 yards cause his 180 buddy was at 37, the 160 Started walking down wind before the 180
Was in a shooting lane!

DOH!

LC
Old 10-22-2017, 07:28 PM
Banned

I saw a big bull in the same place this morning but couldn't get close enough.

Oh well, rifle season is coming soon.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:

here's one for yah....I passed up a wild male pheasant this morning because it had a shorter tail and I've never got one over 40" yet....by the end of the day I got my Rooster all right....and this one had no tail

Tomorrow I think is my last chance this year for B&C Pheasant and I have a feeling that this aint going to be the year...
Old 10-22-2017, 07:38 PM

I sat and stared a a huge mule buck in my neighbours back yard a couple years ago.
I have permission to shoot anything on his land, but it was right in behind his house, so I thought I should touch base first.
It was a half hour after legal light when he finally got back to me. (And said of course. Go for it)
Didn't ever see that deer again.
Old 10-22-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:

Soon carry over into rifle season may be a thing of the past. Not sure how I feel about that myself!

LC
Old 10-22-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
here's one for yah....I passed up a wild male pheasant this morning because it had a shorter tail and I've never got one over 40" yet....by the end of the day I got my Rooster all right....and this one had no tail

Tomorrow I think is my last chance this year for B&C Pheasant and I have a feeling that this aint going to be the year...
My first one ever was 39", I had no idea what I had shot. ISB gave me the old beginners luck talk

LC
Old 10-22-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
My first one ever was 39", I had no idea what I had shot. ISB gave me the old beginners luck talk

LC
Wow that's right on man....I couldn't buy a big rooster the last few seasons...I'm a Spring chicken magnet or something I guess
Old 10-22-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Never...I have a minimum and stick too it be it the first or last day.
I should start doing this more.... just where to set the minimum. Always passing on good bucks hoping for a great one.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleEyes View Post
I should start doing this more.... just where to set the minimum. Always passing on good bucks hoping for a great one.
Solid 160" gross buck/ 5 year old plus deer is my goal....some years don't even see one...Ive blasted exactly 3 bucks in the past on my first day of a whitetail hunting trip because they were over that minimum....2 times in Saskatchewan and once in AB ...NO chances/no regrets.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:44 PM

Default x2,,Great story and good on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
That's a great story great stuff right there.

GOT YOU!
'>>>
Great story indeed Than you for sharing
Old 10-23-2017, 09:30 AM

10 years ago, hunting southern Ab with my sons, we were driving up a little road to our hunting spot when, in the early morning light, a huge muley crossed the road, jumped the fence and walked 30 yards and stood looking at us. By jumping that fence, it was in the only quarter section that we were not allowed to hunt - until the next day. It was a solid 200" typical. Probably the best one I've ever seen. We watched it walk a few yards to the top of the hill and turn broadside to watch us with its 4 does. Perfectly skylined in the early dawn light, it burned that image in my brain. Later that morning, when we bumped into the landowner, he said that he would have shot it no problem. Go figure!
Old 10-23-2017, 10:13 AM

Sounds like yours and my sons hunt are parallel. We seen 7 moose on Sunday, 6 bulls. 4 little guys, one maybe 30 incher to 28 yrds(was feeding up a cutline hill to us) when he smelt us and trotted off, we followed him to the next rise and he had joined up with a larger bull. Looked for but never seen either again.

Go back yesterday afternoon to run the trails and clear fallen logs from last weeks wind storm and come over a rise and a cow and absolute tank trot off. Walk up 100 yrds and it's a beauty 50 incher, was 200 yrds away just watching us. Just a bit too far for an arrow. Tried to come around on him on the next trail but he was always just ahead of us. Never seen him again last night. Rifle will be the equalizer in this game

Fun Fun
Old 10-23-2017, 05:21 PM

Default I always buy my bear tag !

Never shot one yet ! 20 years + in the same area and would average at least one shooter bear every 2 years or so . Just haven't had the urge to pull the trigger or been in a position I have to yet ! Once a I let a a 5x5 elk at dusk walk when I was about 3 miles away from my truck by my self . Still regreat it . Once I had a really good buck for the area I hunt in probably 150 class walk buy when I was positive there was elk behind him 150 yards or so . Got there and no elk ate my wt tag soup that year .
Old 10-25-2017, 01:58 PM

This last trip out, read the story here:
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=331615
Planning another run out there in November.
Old 10-25-2017, 02:12 PM
Banned

three or four times a year i'm either stupid or arrogant enough to pass on shooters in the pursuit of a giant.

then i don't shoot anything
Old 10-25-2017, 02:20 PM

Passed on a nice one last year only to find out the deer I chased for 2 years was taken but I didn't know. Then found out someone took the one I let go. 2016 was a tough one. haha.. Got a few years till we will see similar quality in our area.

HT
Old 10-25-2017, 02:32 PM

The first year I decided that I was going to hold out for a true monster I let him walk. It was early in the season and I wasn't positive how big he really was until it was too late.

A friend and I had spotted him from about a mile. There wasn't a whole bunch of legal light left but we managed to stalk within 300 yards and I had a solid rest. I just couldn't decide so we stalked closer.

We managed to close the gap to 150 yards and I took a rest on a fence post. He knew we were there at that point but just stood there with his does on the edge of a willow bush. The brush in the back ground was making it difficult to see his antlers accurately. I looked and looked and knew he was really good but I wasn't sure how good. I think the lack of excitement from my buddy was throwing me off, he had been guiding for whitetail for years. As the minutes ticked by I made the decision to pass.

We stood up and those deer busted out of that bush and I watched my 190 run across the field. That was the best opportunity I've ever had at an amazing deer. The ride home was pretty quiet that night. Turns out buddy didn't want to get me too wound up.

I passed a 170 4x4 three times one season and had the opportunity to check him out after a friend shot it. I was kicking my butt for that one as well but nowhere near as much as the other one.

Edit- I'm talking estimated gross score. Whitetail.

Last edited by Tfng; 10-25-2017 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:05 PM

Nothing wrong with passing one up because it's too easy. I've just never done it. I've passed because it wasn't what I wanted, shot too iffy, etc. but I've never been presented with the situation you were.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:22 AM

Default 2015 Antelope

My first time ever hunting antelope in 2015, did all the leg work getting permission, talking and meeting the amazing landowners and scouting for 2 days prior to opening day. I had a couple buck picked out and the evening before opening day I was driving to the chosen buck to put him to bed when I spot a huge antelope that is easily B&C. I spot him from Hwy 1, watch him for 30 mins until he beds down at last light. All night I contemplate whether to go after him or not as he is on land that I have permission on. He is right beside hwy 1 and with the landscape my only way to go after him would be to park in the ditch on the side of hwy 1, jump the fence, walk a couple hundred yards and wait for him to stand up out of the dried slough grass. Something inside did not feel right about this scenario and was not how I wanted to take my first and possibly only antelope. I agonized about it as he was so big. In the morning I drove past this location to the second nicest buck I had seen and exercised a perfect 2 mile stalk through a coulee and up the other side, belly crawled 100 yards to peek over the knoll and take the buck that I was after. Just how I imagined my antelope hunt and to this day my favorite hunt of all time. Still see the big antelope in my dreams but have no regrets of my decision.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:12 AM

Passed up a few but I don't think I would ever want to look a gift horse in the mouth quite like that.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:51 AM

This was like 28 years ago, but out sheep hunting and mid day changing locations driving down the road a legal ram walks across the road. Climbs up out of the ditch and stares me down on the hill side.
I grab my rifle and slowly follow and about 50 yards off the road I have him and clearly legal with all this time to look and judge.

Did not shoot, too easy this was not how it was supposed to go. Legal ram off the road no darn way to get my first.

MAC

Save time... see it my way
Old 10-26-2017, 11:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Passed up a few but I don't think I would ever want to look a gift horse in the mouth quite like that.
I was with my son, he's 15yrs old now. He has taken a muley buck on an epic spot and stock that lasted over an hour and a half. I could have easily jumped out and shot it, and if I was limited to only archery season, I most likely would have, but I like him to see and experience the hunt, hopefully teach him a thing or two along the way. I've still got 5 or 6 weeks left to get my bull and I'm sure we'll have meat in the freezer.
Old 10-26-2017, 11:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
I was with my son, he's 15yrs old now. He has taken a muley buck on an epic spot and stock that lasted over an hour and a half. I could have easily jumped out and shot it, and if I was limited to only archery season, I most likely would have, but I like him to see and experience the hunt, hopefully teach him a thing or two along the way. I've still got 5 or 6 weeks left to get my bull and I'm sure we'll have meat in the freezer.
Good on you.