Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-20-2017, 11:27 PM

Default Whitetail deer/foothills

What type of a licence do i need in order to hunt the antlerless wtd in the foothills region?
I explained to the lady in the store what I will be hunting and she just gave me a general wtd. Tag. Do i need an additional licence for the antlerless deer and an additional licence for the foothills region. Cant really understand these regs quite yet.
Any advice and clarification is more than welcome. Thanks ahead...
Confused new hunter in the province
Old 10-20-2017, 11:39 PM

Each zone or WMU as they're called in AB is different. There are many WMUs in the foothills "region".

Do you have a specific area that you are hunting? Why do you want to hunt antlerless, I'm just curious? A general whitetail tag will let you hunt in MOST zones for an antlerless deer but there may be exceptions.

I'd re-read the regs some more and then if you have any more questions, I'm sure someone here will help you. Welcome to AB and have a safe and successful season.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 10-20-2017, 11:55 PM

First thing you need to do is pick a WMU you want to hunt in, then look at the seasons that the WMU has to see if your general (resident wt) tag is valid for either sex, and the dates that it is valid for.

A great resource is the IHunter app. It has all this information in it and is very easy to use.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:13 AM

Thank you for your reply,
Sorry but Maybe i did not post my question correctly.
However what I meant was during general season in foothills, where either antlered or antlerless WTD season is open do I need additional tag beside general WTD tag. Wheter yes or no what additional foothills antlerless deers tag does and why do you need one.
Also what I dont understand is that supplement deer tag.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:52 AM
Banned

General tag say in wmu 330 you can shoot either a antlered buck or anterless deer supplemental tags are anterless only and depending on wmu can only use the first supplemental tag BUT not second have to go do a wmu that allows the second tag to be used it’s clear in. The regulations just keep reading them till you understand them clearly
Old 10-22-2017, 11:48 AM

If I'm not mistaken, I think the OP is confused by the existence of the "foothills deer" license.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:01 PM
Banned

Old 10-22-2017, 02:55 PM

Have you met the criteria for being a resident?
Have you met the requirement for completing a hunter ed program?
Have you purchased your wildlife certificate? (need that to get the general whitetail tag)
Have you read the regs for the zone in the foothills you're hunting? Not all wmu are the same so if you're not specific, we can't be in our explanation
Old 10-22-2017, 04:27 PM

I am an AB resident and i purchased all the licences that i could possibly need for elk and deer (both general).
My question is; in an area (300 series-foothills)
that has general WTD season open. Do I need an additional licence to hunt antlerless WTD beside general WTD tag that i purchased. If yes I will go and get one. IF NO, why those tags are being used. Doea anyone has any general explanation or example in particular area why these tags are obtained.
328 and 326 for example has a general WTD season open for either antlered or antlerless.
Do I need foothills lic.or supplement antlerless lic.to hunt one doe in that or those particular regions or any other that will have open season after Nov.1.
It is not necessarily that i have to hunt doe, of course i will rather get a nice WTD buck but just to understand the regulations better.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
Have you met the criteria for being a resident?
Have you met the requirement for completing a hunter ed program?
Have you purchased your wildlife certificate? (need that to get the general whitetail tag)
Have you read the regs for the zone in the foothills you're hunting? Not all wmu are the same so if you're not specific, we can't be in our explanation
Of course I did and how else I could purchase tags if I did not.
Did not fish or hunt for several months until i did meet the resident criteria.
Old 10-22-2017, 05:50 PM

with that general tag you can take either a doe OR a buck in that WMU
Old 10-22-2017, 05:51 PM

or any WMU that has the same description
Old 10-22-2017, 06:12 PM

To answer your question OP, no, you do not need any other licences. The "Foothills Deer" licence is for
"When hunting under the authority of this licence, valid in WMU 212 only, hunters must carry written permission to hunt from a landowner involved."

In some of the 300 WMU's a supplemental antlerless WT licence can be used, but not in the 2 zones you listed. The list is in the regulations. It is just another licence available that allows you the opportunity to harvest as per the stipulations listed for that licence regarding what WMU it is valid in.

Cheers

Last edited by meandmyboy; 10-22-2017 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:57 PM

Old 10-25-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teberle View Post
If I'm not mistaken, I think the OP is confused by the existence of the "foothills deer" license.
THIS!!^^
-The entire "300" series of WMUs is described as"Foothills" region....not to be confused with "Foothills Deer" licence,which is only valid in 212 during December primitive weapon hunt(bow,xbow,muzzleloader allowed)
Foothills Deer licence comes with 2x antlerless tags,valid for either MD or WT in 212 ONLY and ONLY during Dec. hunt.
-your General WT licence is valid province wide in any WMU that has a General WT season,including for antlerless deer in WMUs that have a non-draw/general antlerless season.
-Supplemental Antlerless licence comes with 2 antlerless tags and is valid in WMUs that allow Supplemental....these WMUs are listed in the regs(note,in many(most?)WMUs,only the first Supp tag is valid,there are some additional WMUs that allow the use of your 2nd Supp tag)
Old 10-26-2017, 12:35 PM

Thanks for all of your answer guys and PM as well. I can hunt and know my limits now...thank you all
Old 10-27-2017, 10:10 PM

Beside the help with the regs, is there any advice where and how not to waste time...
Logging roads,lease or oil, FTS roads and so on...
Work or doesn't work...
I learn that in the province of AB everyone holds a grave secret about good hunting spots and cant really understand why beside all of this open space and good nature you guys have here but anyhow...dont really ask where to go and dont expect anyone to tell me but any advice where not to waste time would be greatly appreciated for a novice hunter in the great Province of Alberta. Compared to Ontario this is hunting heaven...
Old 10-27-2017, 10:16 PM
Banned

Find a cut block with popular trees around and start there find a zone where supplemental tag is good be sure you can use one or another and go anterless deer are not hard to find or hunt
Old 10-27-2017, 10:30 PM
Banned

I can not help you .

I had to change the way i take game,only because i care .

Care is my definition of taking and processing.

I admire the trophy and respect the pursuit .

If you do need direction send a private message to the participants on this forum.

I have been painted but i will not lie.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purgatory.sv View Post
I can not help you .

I had to change the way i take game,only because i care .

Care is my definition of taking and processing.

I admire the trophy and respect the pursuit .

If you do need direction send a private message to the participants on this forum.

I have been painted but i will not lie.
What colour purg??
And don't lie...
Old 10-27-2017, 10:53 PM
Banned

Color is relative .

We know i like ----.
Old 10-28-2017, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daka View Post
Thanks for all of your answer guys and PM as well. I can hunt and know my limits now...thank you all
Hopefully you catch your limit
Old 10-28-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by purgatory.sv View Post
Color is relative .

We know i like ----.
Lol