Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-03-2020, 05:05 AM

This summer a co-worker & I were watching a crew working & I said " They look like Keystone Kops "!

Co-worker had no idea what I was talking about, so he looked up the silent movies & had to agree with what I had said at the time !

Dad made a pile of Super 8 movies of bush stuff.
We all liked the ones where he would blow a hole in a Beaver Dam & film them re-building the Dams. Little Bull Dozers !
Old 04-03-2020, 08:03 AM

Paddle To The Sea captivated me as a child. Who was this kid in the woods who could carve and smelt lead?

I showed it to my four-year-old a few months ago. When paddle to the sea floated beyond the reach of the first little boy that caught him My little guy cried out : "No, it's getting away"

timeless
Old 04-04-2020, 08:39 PM

I enjoyed watching these NFB shows.

One tough old bird to go this alone.
Nahanni
https://www.nfb.ca/film/nahanni/

This show was interesting in how a few men together with their families make a life together in the bush.

Cree Hunters of Mistassini
https://www.nfb.ca/film/cree_hunters/

And Pierre Berton's City of Gold
https://www.nfb.ca/film/city_of_gold/
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 04-04-2020, 08:48 PM

Another great film is from 1958 when a man and his wife go up the Headless valley in the Yukon by boat. It isn't a NFB film but is on line to watch. The best part is when he is finding gold right on the surface and filling his socks with it, only to lose it in a river crossing. Heck of a trip to do with no gun and being outfitted by Simpson Sears. They made the film themselves as they went. They were from Alberta too. Melvin moved here in 1932 from the States and Dorothy was born in Drumheller in 1919. They lived in Calgary. Mel passed in 2011 and Dorthy since then. A great film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr1v5N6ovp4
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 04-04-2020 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 02:30 AM

The NFB is a real gold mine. My grandfather and his business partner were in a film in 1959 that documented a bison hunt in Wood Buffalo Park. They were sportsmen, but the intent of the hunt was stop the spread of tuberculosis to the greater herd.My dad said there was a screening in their home town of Burns Lake, BC. I have searched the app, but haven't found it yet. Any of you guys remember seeing something like that?
Old 04-05-2020, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyOneStyle View Post
The NFB is a real gold mine. My grandfather and his business partner were in a film in 1959 that documented a bison hunt in Wood Buffalo Park. They were sportsmen, but the intent of the hunt was stop the spread of tuberculosis to the greater herd.My dad said there was a screening in their home town of Burns Lake, BC. I have searched the app, but haven't found it yet. Any of you guys remember seeing something like that?
I remember seeing at least a portion or excerpt from the 1959 film. Probably this film, or parts of this film. This one is from 1985. Around the 20 or so minute mark gets interesting and tells about the evolution and move of the herds to Wainwright and then Wood Buffalo. The film has some excellent older footage and history.

https://www.nfb.ca/film/great_buffalo_saga/
Old 04-05-2020, 05:50 AM

Thank you for sharing that,

I didn't spot my grandfather in that one, but it sure explained a lot about the bison of Alberta and why he would have been there. It is just another gem from the NFB.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
When I was in school, we would get to watch.these National Film Board of Canada movies. The teacher would bring in this big tin that held the movie, and I would immediately be the "turn the lights out" kid

Some of the movies had a simple narrative, some just had music.

This one was one of my favourites. I always enjoyed the old way of doing things. Just click on the link and hit the play button

https://www.nfb.ca/film/hunters_asivaqtiin/
I remember this film even though I was only 5. I’m pretty sure it was on TV still in the early 80’s. Being born in NWT I was always interested in this way of life.
Times have sure changed. They don’t call it “The Department Of Indian and Northern Affairs” anymore lol. Thank you for sharing ...
Old 04-05-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Another great film is from 1958 when a man and his wife go up the Headless valley in the Yukon by boat. It isn't a NFB film but is on line to watch. The best part is when he is finding gold right on the surface and filling his socks with it, only to lose it in a river crossing. Heck of a trip to do with no gun and being outfitted by Simpson Sears. They made the film themselves as they went. They were from Alberta too. Melvin moved here in 1932 from the States and Dorothy was born in Drumheller in 1919. They lived in Calgary. Mel passed in 2011 and Dorthy since then. A great film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr1v5N6ovp4
I just watched this video. Been years since I first so it. Fascinating and wonderfully done with the equipment they had.

BW
Old 04-05-2020, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceadog View Post
Not from school, but I love the NFB film about Saskatchwan Grain Elevators.
Thanks for that, never saw it before. That was a treasure

Looks like the operator, John Soparlo, retired shortly after that film was made. He died in 2011.

Quote:
JOHN SOPARLO 1921 2011 John Soparlo passed away peacefully with his family at his side on Friday May 20th, 2011. John was born Oct. 15th, 1921 in Wood Mountain Sask. He was predeceased by his mother (Nastesia) and father (George); brothers Nick and Lee; sisters Alexandria and Mary. He leaves to mourn his wife Grace, son Murray (Marilyn); daughters Deborah and Gaylene; grandchildren: Garett (Melissa), Talia and Kurtis. Dad retired after 35 years from Sask. Wheat Pool. Grace and John moved from Wood Mountain to Saskatoon in 1982, to be close to their family. Dad enjoyed spending time with good friends, playing cards, watching his grandchildren in their sports and being the handyman everyone needed. He especially enjoyed gardening with his trusting companion, our dog Toby. The Funeral Service will take place on Wednesday May 25th at 1:30 p.m. at Windsor Chapel 704 Windsor St. (corner of 8th Avenue North & Windsor Street). Interment to follow in the Hillcrest Memorial Gardens Cemetery. In lieu of flowers, donations may be directed to Porteous Lodge 833 Ave. P N, Saskatoon, S7L 2W5. A special thank-you to the staff of Healthy Life Care Home, where dad made his home for 3 years, and more recently Porteous Lodge for their excellent care. Arrangements are in care of David Schurr MOURNING GLORY FUNERAL SERVICES 978-5200.
Published on May 21, 2011
Google Streetview shows the elevator still standing at the NW corner of Wood Mountain, SK, though it's a little worse for wear than in the video. Loved the old power plant.

Last edited by GeoTrekr; 04-05-2020 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
The one I remember best is White wilderness by Disney grew up believing Lemmings jumped off cliffs, others would be NFB Nieghbours, stop drop and roll and those gosh awful french imersion film strips.
Ahhh yes the french immersion lady..."Oui Monsieur Thibaut...Non Monsieur Thibaut"

I sure loved those films about the Inuit though...including the eyeball one as well as the kid's mom making a balloon for the kid with some intestine. Made me a hunter forever
Old 04-05-2020, 06:37 PM

I remember when I was in high school grade eleven I think. One evening my Dad and I watched Debbie does Dallas. Very educational.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
I remember when I was in high school grade eleven I think. One evening my Dad and I watched Debbie does Dallas. Very educational.

Don't think I could watch that one in the same room as my old man.
Old 04-06-2020, 01:43 PM

I remember we watched one in school called "Special Delivery". Was about a guy who was told by his wife to shovel the walk. he didn't, and the mail man slipped and broke his neck on his front step.
The guy decides to hide the evidence and dresses as the mail man and finished the mail route.
His wife comes home and finds the mail man naked on the couch dead, and assumes that the husband has found out she has been banging the mailman and killed him. It was quite the film to be showing in elementary school and quie graphic as it did show the mailmans "manhood"
I still to this day have not figured out what the purpose was in showing it to us kids, but none the less I remember it to this day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaFi3DCHjak
Old 04-06-2020, 02:10 PM

Tuktu
Old 04-06-2020, 09:00 PM

The Lottery - Not what I expected as a younker , freakin disturbing little film , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZyhVg31iaQ

I guess things needed spicing up in the days when color was just invented
Old 04-06-2020, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Can't forget the Industrial Arts safety films
Yeah, they were Lucky Williams if i remember correctly, they were a hoot!!
When he was running a forklift, a good chuckle would always follow !
Old 04-07-2020, 11:14 AM

The only movie I remember in school was *that* movie where all the girls went into one room and the boys into another. Made me more curious about boys after that, not it's intended purpose I'm sure!
Old 04-08-2020, 10:27 AM

Default Nfb

I remember a series of films called 'Survival in the Bush' or 'Winter Survival in the Bush' from NFB. One was on trapping beaver, another on making signal fires and SOS sign,another on making a gill net, snow cave, etc. Only saw a couple at school and several more at home on CBC when I was off sick
Old 04-08-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
I enjoyed watching these NFB shows.

One tough old bird to go this alone.
Nahanni
https://www.nfb.ca/film/nahanni/

This show was interesting in how a few men together with their families make a life together in the bush.

Cree Hunters of Mistassini
https://www.nfb.ca/film/cree_hunters/

And Pierre Berton's City of Gold
https://www.nfb.ca/film/city_of_gold/
Watched all 3 of these over the past couple of evening. Great films all of them.

BW