Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-05-2020, 03:33 PM

Default Uneven Line Wraps

Hey guys .Hope everyone is well and safe. With all this spare time on my hands , I figured I'd get all my gear ready for summer. I re-spooled five reels. Two Shimano reels of the five wont wrap the line evenly . The silver colored reel is 25 years old and has been a work horse for years. The second Shimano is fairly new. I normally get the boys at the Hole to spool my reels. I tried both reels several times but cant get the line to go on even . What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by Sparkle; 04-05-2020 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-05-2020, 03:49 PM

Are you keeping tension on the line?
Old 04-05-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Are you keeping tension on the line?
Yes I am keep even tension on the line. The other three reels loaded the line perfectly even.Thanks Smoky buck
Old 04-05-2020, 04:18 PM

I have reels that do that as well, I just go fishing. Seems like it all straightens itself out fishing, or at least I don't notice it anymore.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-05-2020, 04:24 PM

That was my main guess. Only other things I can think of is check that the reel guide is operating smooth. Can’t say I have had that issue with a spinning reel except for when the line was put on too loose or the line is too heavy

Good luck but that’s all I have on this one
Old 04-05-2020, 04:56 PM

Sometimes you have to pull the side plate, usually 3 small Phillips screws if I recall, and clean out the push rod and the gear on it and meeting it. Flush them out and re grease.
Inspect the gears and make sure none have lost teeth, and make sure the gears are still connected tightly in place.
Osky
Old 04-05-2020, 04:57 PM

I think what you are looking at, is some excess line build up at the top and bottom of the spool where the spool switches directions. If you have build up at only one end or the other you can fix that by shimming the spool. In your case, with buildup at both ends, I don't think you can do much about it other than clean the reel up and hope for the best.
Old 04-05-2020, 05:07 PM

If you remove the spool from the reel, you should have at least one washer behind. You can add more or remove depending on how you want your line to sit on your spool. Part number 3455, I believe is what these washers are. You would’ve gotten a couple extra along with a tube of reel lube in the box if you bought the reel new, as well as an instructional manual. That manual shows you how to add or subtract these washers based on how you want your line to sit on your reel. Based on how yours is spooling, I’d bet you have 2 or 3 washers. Try removing one or even 2 of them. I’m just going by memory here, I’ll see if I can find an old reel box from one of my Stradics, if I can find the manual, I’ll try to send a picture of what I’m talking about.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:40 PM

Man I gotta admit I never knew this was even a thing. I usually spool my own line save for the odd time I'm in the big city and have never really noticed how the line sits. Had to go and look at my own operation and out of 15 reels that are either summer, winter or summer/winter reels only one is spooled unevenly and it's only on the top side of the spool. Ironically happens to be one of my favourite reels and seems to work flawlessly. I will mention none of these are super high end reels either.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Man I gotta admit I never knew this was even a thing. I usually spool my own line save for the odd time I'm in the big city and have never really noticed how the line sits. Had to go and look at my own operation and out of 15 reels that are either summer, winter or summer/winter reels only one is spooled unevenly and it's only on the top side of the spool. Ironically happens to be one of my favourite reels and seems to work flawlessly. I will mention none of these are super high end reels either.
If its spooling excessively on the top end, just add a shim, if its spooling to much on the bottom remove a shim. If its at both ends I don't think you can do terribly much. Either live with it or go buy a Daiwa.
Old 04-06-2020, 08:49 AM

Funny thing a Daiwa is exactly what it is lol. I might try adding a shim but honestly it's just not been an issue functionally for me.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL_JR View Post
Funny thing a Daiwa is exactly what it is lol. I might try adding a shim but honestly it's just not been an issue functionally for me.
Well then, no wonder its your favorite.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:17 AM
Banned

Try a piece of adhesive tape on the arbor. It could be that your line is spinning or trying to spin, causing it to pile up.

Free
Old 04-06-2020, 11:05 AM

My problem is line coiling up soo bad after it has been spooled onto the reel.

Can't seem to stop it from going nutso on me. Keep the spool tight, and as soon as I cut the line it goes nuts and I am stuggling like crazy to contain it.

Any idea's BTW happens wit P line, Suffix Big Game does not seem to matter
Old 04-06-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle View Post
Hey guys .Hope everyone is well and safe. With all this spare time on my hands , I figured I'd get all my gear ready for summer. I re-spooled five reels. Two Shimano reels of the five wont wrap the line evenly . The silver colored reel is 25 years old and has been a work horse for years. The second Shimano is fairly new. I normally get the boys at the Hole to spool my reels. I tried both reels several times but cant get the line to go on even . What am I doing wrong?

There is a special way to put line on a spinning reel compared to a baitcasting reel if you didn't know already

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TROLLER View Post
My problem is line coiling up soo bad after it has been spooled onto the reel.

Can't seem to stop it from going nutso on me. Keep the spool tight, and as soon as I cut the line it goes nuts and I am stuggling like crazy to contain it.

Any idea's BTW happens wit P line, Suffix Big Game does not seem to matter
less tension when spooling on can sometimes help that.
Old 04-06-2020, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
If its spooling excessively on the top end, just add a shim, if its spooling to much on the bottom remove a shim. If its at both ends I don't think you can do terribly much. Either live with it or go buy a Daiwa.
This guy knows stuff, he is bang on
Old 04-08-2020, 09:25 PM

I spoke to Shimano. They told me there was a for-sure problem with both reels. Shimano is covering the shipping and repairs at no cost for both , even though one reel is 25 years old. The Shimano Nasci reel is only 4 months old. The guy was soo excited to work on a Vintage Symetre Shimano reel .What excellent customer service.
Old 04-09-2020, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle View Post
I spoke to Shimano. They told me there was a for-sure problem with both reels. Shimano is covering the shipping and repairs at no cost for both , even though one reel is 25 years old. The Shimano Nasci reel is only 4 months old. The guy was soo excited to work on a Vintage Symetre Shimano reel .What excellent customer service.
That is good to hear sounds like some great customer service.

I have an old Shimano "Bob Izumi" signature series bait casting rod that I've held on to for a number of years. I cut a deal with my Grandpa that if I mowed lawn all summer he would order me the rod and reel out of the old wholesale catalog. I was maybe 10 or 11 at the time so needed an elder to order for me. I never expected anything until the job was done but Grandpa couldn't wait and before I knew it I had a brand new rod, reel and line in the mail.

Well I ended up wrecking the rod after a few trips riding home on my bike. Rod tip got caught between the front spokes.

With your report it's kind of reignited a wish to get the thing fixed. Will see what they have to say.

Will add as an edit that I have no presumptions that they will fix the thing free of charge. Even if they will just find an end piece that I am more than willing to pay for would be cool. Totally my fault that it broke obviously.

I've had other rod/reel components fail out of just crap poor build and couldn't get a word out of the respective manufacturers. Not to name names *cough* abu garcia.

Last edited by OL_JR; 04-09-2020 at 06:55 PM.