Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-05-2020, 09:19 AM

Default Camping/Fishing Sport Northern Alberta

I知 looking for a relatively quiet campground in Northern Alberta to take the family to for a couple weeks this summer. Ideally a well treed and spaced out campground to be able to continue social distancing as I知 sure we will still be required to do so in July. Ideally a family friendly private campground that has decent fishing and a beach. I知 not that familiar with Northern Alberta so I知 looking for opinions. Thanks everyone!
Old 04-05-2020, 05:54 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabm7 View Post
I知 looking for a relatively quiet campground in Northern Alberta to take the family to for a couple weeks this summer. Ideally a well treed and spaced out campground to be able to continue social distancing as I知 sure we will still be required to do so in July. Ideally a family friendly private campground that has decent fishing and a beach. I知 not that familiar with Northern Alberta so I知 looking for opinions. Thanks everyone!
Most of the campgrounds I have been in up here are relatively quiet and well treed. I was shocked at how crowded the southern campgrounds are in the middle of the week yet!

Finding a beach and good fishing is another matter altogether.

I don't know about family friendly. I only use them as overnight stops when on business trips.

There are a few with decent fishing. Winagami PP for one. and I know Leddy Lake campground has a sandy beach, but it's topped with goose poop. The others I have visited have mostly muddy banks if the have a lake or river.

Bring lots of Mosquito repellent. Biting insects are the one thing all our campgrounds have in abundance. The further north you go the worse that gets.

We camped for a night up at the Deh Cho Bridge on the way to Yellowknife.
Even though we camped in the open on a gravel bar along the river the mosquitoes were insane. We couldn't even see light out the windows because there were so many mosquitoes on the screens that they blocked all the light.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-05-2020, 06:42 PM

If we are still required to social distance the campgrounds will not be open. That said I'm partial to Iosegun, Smoke or Fawcett
Old 04-05-2020, 06:52 PM

Ya know this might get shot down and all depends on how uptown you are looking for but I really like North Wabasca for camping. There is a powered and non powered loop. We stay in a wall tent so really like the non powered side. Nice and quiet usually and it's sand shore close to the campgrounds so if you want to beach a boat and walk to your stall it's pretty handy. If you have a bigger boat you will want to pull it out at night as the predominantly west wind has flooded I don't know how many boats over the years if you can't get the transom blocked up.

Has a beach although not screened regularly but we have no problem using it. Town is close if you need anything (Generally go in every few days to the pool and they charge a buck to use the family change room and shower). Golf course is close if you want to golf or just hit the driving range. Great food as well.

Fishing is always good and you don't have to go far. Only down side is now it's shut down for keeping anything. I don't always go out to keep fish but will admit that was a deal killer for us last year and probably won't be back until it's changed as it's a bit of a haul and frankly on the bigger summer trips I like to have a fish or two. If eating a fish isn't a big deal to you might be worth a look.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:01 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I知 mainly just looking for something to take the wife and kids to with our travel trailer just to spend a couple weeks away from everything. Somewhat isolated but not middle of nowhere isolated. I値l spend some time fishing but would need something else to keep the family busy such as beach and playground. I was looking in Northern Saskatchewan as well.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:50 PM

PA National Park is amazing. Great fishing, great beach and Main Street. The camping is pretty good as well but I wouldn’t say spaced out. Of course the parks would have to be open.
Old 04-05-2020, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slabm7 View Post
I was looking in Northern Saskatchewan as well.
If North Sask is on the table, I'd recommend the Meadow Lake PP. Lots of campgrounds in there so you can move around a bit if you need a change of scenery.