Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-10-2018, 05:56 PM

Default Migratory Birds Between Stettler and Hanna

Does anyone hunt migratory in a diagonal line between Stettler, Byemoor and Hanna? Just wondering if it holds good bird numbers and how difficult or easy is it to get permission? Thanks for all replies.
Old 10-10-2018, 06:12 PM
Banned

It’s hard to get permission for so many guides best to keep going south
Old 10-10-2018, 08:49 PM
Banned

Probably one of the best spots in the whole province, but there are outfitters there, like mentioned I would try a bit south or north of there.
Old 10-11-2018, 08:52 PM
Banned

Not that great down here near stettler best to go way south brooks area
Old 10-11-2018, 09:27 PM

Lots of birds around wainwright right now, I travelled through yesterday and couldn’t believe the duck shoots. I saw two fields with 5k birds (just off he pavement too) lots of honkers around too...has everyone given up on the birds and started prepping for nov white tails...where are the hunters. I’ll be heading down that way in a couple days. Never had a problem with permission either. Good luck guys
Old 10-12-2018, 05:42 PM

Stettler is incredible for waterfowling! Far enough away from any major cities the farmers don’t have the issues that others do closer to the big cities so permission is pretty easy to get. The birds are everywhere and far enough north most haven’t been shot at yet
Old 10-12-2018, 09:58 PM
Banned

Why do people feel the need to post where the birds are why don’t you tell them where your big buck is too, this makes it harder for the locals to get hunts and it’s tough enough for the guides, I mean tell them where your secret perch hole is at too, Im not sure if people like playing the Internet big shot or saviour but it’s hard enough,
Old 10-12-2018, 10:56 PM

Myself and Rugersingle just put in 4 days of warerfowling vacation time in the Two Hills Willingdon area, the birds were there, and access was liberal.(albeit I have family connections)

Get off your hinney and put in some in field time.

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 10-12-2018 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter guy View Post
Why do people feel the need to post where the birds are why don’t you tell them where your big buck is too, this makes it harder for the locals to get hunts and it’s tough enough for the guides, I mean tell them where your secret perch hole is at too, Im not sure if people like playing the Internet big shot or saviour but it’s hard enough,
Because unlike bucks or perch by the time the person asking gets there the birds will have moved, changed fields, changed roosts or be gone all together. You can do all the internet scouting you want for birds but in the end it don't amount to a whole lot.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 10-13-2018, 12:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Not that great down here near stettler best to go way south brooks area
LOL there is a guy posting pics on Facebook from around Stettler, they are hammering them down there
Old 10-13-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:

You said there’s no birds around stettler. Now your crying about people knowing that there’s birds everywhere up there. You sound like an outfitter to me.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Myself and Rugersingle just put in 4 days of warerfowling vacation time in the Two Hills Willingdon area, the birds were there, and access was liberal.(albeit I have family connections)

Get off your hinney and put in some in field time.
Agree with the “hinney” comment.When you ask a question like that, things go off the rails quick. The people that hunt the area say there are no birds and you can’t get permission, too many outfitters. The people who do not hunt the area tell you there are birds everywhere and there is no problem getting access and you should spend all your time there.
In reality it is somewhere in between the two extremes and if you spend some time looking instead of asking on forums you will find birds and and opportunity. And that area is just the tip of the iceberg.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:48 AM
Banned

No I’m not no guide, I’m a guy who works Monday to Friday than just hope to snag a field that the guides haven’t locked up for the next month, than everyone feels like a internet hero to say come on down here and hunt birds, and if your talking about a certain guide around here he’s in Saskatchewan now so nice try, wanna know where the birds are get in your truck and drive around spot a field go ask done, instead of being done Internet superstar I’m makes me sick
Old 10-13-2018, 09:31 AM

There is no shortage of birds in the Stettler area. Every farmer is getting hammered. But with that and the increased hunter presence there is no shortage of drama either. I just had a clown and his buddies from the Edmonton area down here caused me a bunch of trouble the other day. I’m still mad about it. He just made it harder again for me to let you on if I don’t know you.

Guides don’t have everything tied up. You guys need to leave your egos and drama at home. Quit bringing landowners into it. Quit asking multiple landowners for permission for the same day tying up a bunch of land that you will not hunt that others could have a chance to go on. We do talk so we know when that happens. Be upfront and honest and if someone got permission before you don’t moan to me about it. I hate duck season. I get absolutely nothing for making these appointments just to let you hunt during one of my busiest times. Some days I need to hire a secretary.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL Bar View Post
There is no shortage of birds in the Stettler area. Every farmer is getting hammered. But with that and the increased hunter presence there is no shortage of drama either. I just had a clown and his buddies from the Edmonton area down here caused me a bunch of trouble the other day. I’m still mad about it. He just made it harder again for me to let you on if I don’t know you.

Guides don’t have everything tied up. You guys need to leave your egos and drama at home. Quit bringing landowners into it. Quit asking multiple landowners for permission for the same day tying up a bunch of land that you will not hunt that others could have a chance to go on. We do talk so we know when that happens. Be upfront and honest and if someone got permission before you don’t moan to me about it. I hate duck season. I get absolutely nothing for making these appointments just to let you hunt during one of my busiest times. Some days I need to hire a secretary.

Guides do have everything tied up thanks, can’t get a field cause they booked it for a week and than no one else can hunt it, you must be a guide though, if you ask me it shouldn’t be allowed anyhow, I’m not a guide, but that’s what they do, but there’s lots of deer would you tell us where that big 200 inch buck is hanging out!?? It’s hard to ask for permission when they’ve locked up the fields in spring and black mailed the farmers
Old 10-13-2018, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Guides do have everything tied up thanks, can’t get a field cause they booked it for a week and than no one else can hunt it, you must be a guide though, if you ask me it shouldn’t be allowed anyhow, I’m not a guide, but that’s what they do, but there’s lots of deer would you tell us where that big 200 inch buck is hanging out!?? It’s hard to ask for permission when they’ve locked up the fields in spring and black mailed the farmers
You might want to reread the above that you are replying to.
Then read it again.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:48 AM

Quote:
I’m the furthest thing from being a guide. I am a farmer. You must be one of the geniuses that shows up to my place asking to hunt my land that has the slough with cattails on it and I’m supposed to decipher that description. Do your friggen homework.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:48 AM
Banned

All I’m saying it’s just mighty hard to get permission with 5 guides around locking up fields where birds are sitting, than to top it people invite others to come on down and than it gets even harder
Old 10-13-2018, 09:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
I’m the furthest thing from being a guide. I am a farmer. You must be one of the geniuses that shows up to my place asking to hunt my land that has the slough with cattails on it and I’m supposed to decipher that description. Do your friggen homework.
I’m not the one asking for permission, I’m the one that sick of people being the Internet hero on here bringing all kinds of people down when it’s hard enough to get land around here, I know a few guides who go behind the scenes and bait the farmer,
Old 10-13-2018, 10:04 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I’m not the one asking for permission, I’m the one that sick of people being the Internet hero on here bringing all kinds of people down when it’s hard enough to get land around here, I know a few guides who go behind the scenes and bait the farmer,
Bird hunting has always been that you do way more scouting and building relationships with landowners than actually shooting birds. If you can't invest the time to do that you will have problems. It's not the land owners fault or the guides fault or other hunters in the areas fault...it's your fault
Old 10-13-2018, 10:18 AM

Birds in Stettler....no secret

Birds in Killam.....no secret

Birds in Two Hills.....no secret

Birds in Toefield.....no secret

Hunt more weekdays and burn more feel than the average guy and you find lots of opportunity in all those places. Good luck guys
Old 10-13-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Well, have never hunted around there, but thank you for putting up with this time of year. Between worrying about getting crops off and dealing with us waterfowlers, must be stressful as hell.
Hope she dries up for you this week.
Old 10-13-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post

Hunt more weekdays and burn more feel than the average guy and you find lots of opportunity in all those places. Good luck guys
Still just scratching the surface. If someone follows your advice they will find all kinds of birds.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:13 PM

Quote:

This
Old 10-13-2018, 01:34 PM

I hunt just North of the Stettler area. I typically burn a full tank scouting before every hunt, and while it is easier to find fields for weekdays, if you put in the effort, you can find hunts for the weekend. It's a matter of putting in the time scouting, and getting to know the landowners, and not causing the landowners any issues. After asking a few times, each landowner gets to know you, and permission becomes easier to obtain. In my area, it is actually easier to get permission if you aren't an outfitter.
Old 10-13-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:

Hard to get permission around Tofield due to all the outfitters and locals. Best head south. Try Stettler area. I’ll be starting a separate thread with GPS coordinates to a 200” deer if anybody cares to find out. Do I need to apply for the Internet Hero award or is it just given out to those who make posts laced with the most sarcasm?

In all seriousness, I don’t think I’ve been turned away for a bird hunt yet this fall. Been beat to the punch on a few but good on the fellows who did for getting after it. Local, outfitter or just somebody looking for a change in scenery - we’re all trying to enjoy the same passion.
Old 10-13-2018, 04:44 PM

Quote:
If you are sick and tired of all the people you are referring to as heroes and bigshots, who are simply trying to help others out, then take a hike. If you are gonna stay, you better change your tone. This is a community of hunters who are mostly willing to help others out. If you don't like it that's your problem, but don't go running others down. Period.
Old 10-13-2018, 05:02 PM

Default An AO member here has family near Morrin

He has taken us on several goose shoots between Stettler and Morrin and Stettler and Hanna many times as well as a few others here that joined the goosebusters group. Like anything else attitude will very often get you in on a shoot or excluded from one.
Old 10-14-2018, 12:48 AM

Quote:
but there’s lots of deer would you tell us where that big 200 inch buck is hanging out!??
I heard there are a couple that big hanging out close to Stettler.....