Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-31-2023, 08:18 AM

Default Logging Company to Build Bridge over Highwood River

Came across this news story today. Why is the provincial government not stepping in and stopping this?

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...c5cc203c&ei=10

Highwood is also a river in which rainbow trout from the Bow River use as a spawning ground. This makes no sense.
Old 08-31-2023, 08:54 AM

If constructed properly a bridge is no issue but the artificial is making it out as the end to the Highwood bull trout. There is also information lacking is it a temporary drop in bridge or a permanent structure

The real issue is the logging company didn’t go through the proper process and an assessment was not done to limit possible impact. You cannot be play cowboy tossing up a bridge without a permit on a sensitive watershed and not expect a spanking
Old 08-31-2023, 09:15 AM

This is the bridge being constructed downstream of Lineham creek?

Yeah I took photos and video of excavator crossing the river back in July while fly fishing.....
Old 08-31-2023, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyShootMore View Post
This is the bridge being constructed downstream of Lineham creek?

Yeah I took photos and video of excavator crossing the river back in July while fly fishing.....
Hope you sent them to F&W

If they are doing crap like that they should be fined heavily
Old 08-31-2023, 10:44 AM

Yeah I will be.
Areas to be effected by the logging....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F3BjH1zaEAE7aA8.jpg (51.0 KB, 191 views)
Old 08-31-2023, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Hope you sent them to F&W

If they are doing crap like that they should be fined heavily
This is not my first time dealing with vehicles crossing/off roading on that river.
Last time I took a vid, the dude was off roading at Sentinel....... $3000 dollar fine. IIRC...
Old 08-31-2023, 12:17 PM

From looking at the areas to be affected by the logging it sure makes one wonder who approved this. Those areas that slope to the river after they are clear cut will become unstable. Mud and dirt will flow into the Highwood River which will have a negative effect on the fishery.
Old 08-31-2023, 12:38 PM

You guys make me laugh. Industry is as important as is the Environment.

The very fact we get the ability to get out to access these remote parts is largely due to the fact that Industry exists. Roads to and thru the wilderness largely built for industry access. The harvest of the resources creates jobs, the processing/manufacturing of products from the resources creates jobs, the shipping or selling of the processed/manufactured resources creates jobs, the people harvesting/processing/manufacturing/shipping/selling need places to live places to eat which creates jobs, and so on and so on.

We all need industry it is a fact of an industrialized world. It allows all of us to make a living to live the life we all often take for granted. Sh!tt!ng on Industry is a woke cancel culture ideology and to be frank is very short sighted. Shut down industry you shut down the economy and the economy is very intertwined particularly in Alberta and Canada for that matter.

Development of resources if done so RESPONSIBLY and monitored/enforced REGULARLY and Industry players PENALIZED when Industry doesn't follow the law can be a balance between Industry and Environment.

Sh!t~ing on the regulatory or enforcing entities responsible for the governing of the Industrial development which IMHO is lacking severely I can get on board with that.
Old 08-31-2023, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post

The very fact we get the ability to get out to access these remote parts is largely due to the fact that Industry exists. Roads to and thru the wilderness largely built for industry access. The harvest of the resources creates jobs, the processing/manufacturing of products from the resources creates jobs, the shipping or selling of the processed/manufactured resources creates jobs, the people harvesting/processing/manufacturing/shipping/selling need places to live places to eat which creates jobs, and so on and so on.

We all need industry it is a fact of an industrialized world. It allows all of us to make a living to live the life we all often take for granted. Sh!tt!ng on Industry is a woke cancel culture ideology and to be frank is very short sighted. Shut down industry you shut down the economy and the economy is very intertwined particularly in Alberta and Canada for that matter.

Development of resources if done so RESPONSIBLY and monitored/enforced REGULARLY and Industry players PENALIZED when Industry doesn't follow the law can be a balance between Industry and Environment.

Sh!t~ing on the regulatory or enforcing entities responsible for the governing of the Industrial development which IMHO is lacking severely I can get on board with that.
You are correct but in this case the company is under investigation for not following regulations

That is the problem

I worked in multiple sectors in the natural resource industry and understand there is regulations to protect water sheds. Taking an excavator through a fish bearing river is definitely a no no and so is building bridges without a permit
Old 08-31-2023, 09:20 PM

Causing siltation into an area where there is a couple of Species at Risk salmonids looking to spawn is a concern. Many folks consider that these fish actually have value. That is why there are Federal and Provincial regulations regarding working in the streams.
Making money is important. I get it.
Some believe not screwing up the environment so that there are some nice places to go play and fish after work is also important. There are only so many streams left where Bull trout and Cutts continue in healthy numbers. Perhaps we should do a better job at protecting/managing the ones that are left.

Or just say screw it so a small percentage of the population can pad their bank accounts
Old 09-01-2023, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Yeah I will be.
Areas to be effected by the logging....
Good to see old growth forest being removed before it burns while creating better habitat for wildlife. Win win.
More of Kananaskis needs to be logged
Old 09-01-2023, 07:58 AM

Sure the logging companies build roads into the backcountry but how many of us have tried to use those roads only to find the companies have put up a locked gate and signs with no trespassing?

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 09-01-2023, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Sure the logging companies build roads into the backcountry but how many of us have tried to use those roads only to find the companies have put up a locked gate and signs with no trespassing?
In fact the gentlemen I talked to that day had told me the road will not be open to public.
Old 09-01-2023, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Good to see old growth forest being removed before it burns while creating better habitat for wildlife. Win win.
More of Kananaskis needs to be logged
That's good and all but am speaking to the fact of a excavator crossing the river multiple times with/without a permit.
Old 09-01-2023, 10:01 AM

All of this could have been avoided by individuals doing their " due diligence " to insure the proper paperwork had been submitted. And that before any work was to start that the plan was inspected and signed off by DFO in this case. However because this was not done, the lawyers will have another lucrative payday.

https://www.canada.ca/en/environment...20both%3B%20or

Just saying.
Old 09-01-2023, 10:46 AM

Apparently the saw mill didn't think it needed a permit because it could guarantee that no fish habitat would be harmed??
"Spray Lakes Sawmills said they could not comment on the specific bridge installation, but noted that permits are only required when the company is unable to protect fish and habitat during construction."

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/ottawa-in...ntry-1.6542443
Old 09-01-2023, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Quote:
In fact the gentlemen I talked to that day had told me the road will not be open to public.
Nothing to do with the logging company. Forestry (or SRD or whatever it is nowadays) are the ones that stipulate locked gates
Old 09-01-2023, 11:52 AM

Quote:
That's good and all but am speaking to the fact of a excavator crossing the river multiple times with/without a permit.
Pictures of the construction work taken by the Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society suggest heavy equipment has been moving into and across the stream bed.

Where's these pics? Like to see them for myself

Fitch said activities such as road construction and bridge-building damage habitat by silting up the stream beds, impairing the ability of fish to find food and hatch eggs.

I'd be careful how much credence I'd put into articles of this type. I've seen these types of bridges put in and there is a lot of care taken. Kickboards are used to keep debris coming off the bridge and crews are sent out to clean the bridges occasionally. Overkill in my opinion but whatever.
Guys (gals) walking up and down these rivers wading disturbing redds is far more damaging. Spring runoff will move far more silt as well
Old 09-01-2023, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post

Well said sir!!!
Old 09-01-2023, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
Pictures of the construction work taken by the Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society suggest heavy equipment has been moving into and across the stream bed.

Where's these pics? Like to see them for myself

Fitch said activities such as road construction and bridge-building damage habitat by silting up the stream beds, impairing the ability of fish to find food and hatch eggs.

I'd be careful how much credence I'd put into articles of this type. I've seen these types of bridges put in and there is a lot of care taken. Kickboards are used to keep debris coming off the bridge and crews are sent out to clean the bridges occasionally. Overkill in my opinion but whatever.
Guys (gals) walking up and down these rivers wading disturbing redds is far more damaging. Spring runoff will move far more silt as well
You generally make a lot of sense to me. I'd figure if they're building a bridge, they'd walk the hoe through the creek to do bank work on the other side?? Mebbe they changed the hydrocarbon oils out to mineral oils, but doing the work then begging forgiveness generally raises questions

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 09-01-2023, 09:58 PM

See no problem with a bridge built over a stream to access timber, natural gas, oil, and mining. Most of us that hunted and fished the Alberta East Slopes for many decades need to thank our resource industries for giving us the opportunity to access and enjoy our way of life.