Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-01-2020, 09:10 AM

Default Undersubscribed tags are out!!

It took a whole 8 minutes to burn through the 99 late-season Antlered Moose tags that were available in 530.

Glad my computer didn't crash like last year.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:16 AM

I got in there and found all the acronyms confusing,
I got what I wanted though
Old 08-01-2020, 09:17 AM

Been in for 15 min trying to help the wife get an elk tag,
And can’t see the instructions of how to choose,
Can anyone help?

TBark
Old 08-01-2020, 09:20 AM

Most 300 elk tags gone
Old 08-01-2020, 09:25 AM

How did u guys select ?
Old 08-01-2020, 09:36 AM

Found it, small print, ha
Old 08-01-2020, 10:14 AM

Default Undersubscribed

I was online at 0900 and had two tags purchased in less than a minute. Got antlerless elk WMU 300A 25 Dec - 21 Feb and antlerless MD WMU 303 25 Oct - 30 Nov.

They went fast. Not many WMU 300 elk left nor 303 MD.

As an aside, purchased my senior WT tag for $8.66
Old 08-01-2020, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
It took a whole 8 minutes to burn through the 99 late-season Antlered Moose tags that were available in 530.

Glad my computer didn't crash like last year.
Question, are there that many extra bulls for 99 more tags? i was in 531- 2 years ago and it was sparce with moose at least when i was there in oct.
Old 08-01-2020, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaround View Post
Question, are there that many extra bulls for 99 more tags? i was in 531- 2 years ago and it was sparce with moose at least when i was there in oct.
Nope. They could give out 10,000 tags and there will still only be a handful of late season bulls shot up here each year.

Access is the issue not the amount of moose in the area. There is a million miles of country all covered in muskeg with only a few roads that are passible until things freeze up. Add the fact there are several First Nations groups living in the area and a large population of people from the East Coast who grew up hunting moose and still like to do so and there is a lot of competition for the few moose living close to where you can get to them. Even finding one on the river is no easy task during the early season since every second driveway up here has a big jet boat in it.

All that aside its no guarantee but if you know where to go and what to look for its still possible to get a bull. They just don't hang out where you would normally think a moose would be. Who would come November after being pounded on for over 3 months at that point? The ones that are slow to learn are all dead by then..
Old 08-01-2020, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
Nope. They could give out 10,000 tags and there will still only be a handful of late season bulls shot up here each year.

Access is the issue not the amount of moose in the area. There is a million miles of country all covered in muskeg with only a few roads that are passible until things freeze up. Add the fact there are several First Nations groups living in the area and a large population of people from the East Coast who grew up hunting moose and still like to do so and there is a lot of competition for the few moose living close to where you can get to them. Even finding one on the river is no easy task during the early season since every second driveway up here has a big jet boat in it.

All that aside its no guarantee but if you know where to go and what to look for its still possible to get a bull. They just don't hang out where you would normally think a moose would be. Who would come November after being pounded on for over 3 months at that point? The ones that are slow to learn are all dead by then..
Posi
thanks for the reply. i agree its getting deep and willing to do the work makes it happen. if 530 has as many wolves as 531. i know where most went. we c]sat on the rivers edge on 531 &530 and saw i pack working the rivers edge back then.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaround View Post
Posi
thanks for the reply. i agree its getting deep and willing to do the work makes it happen. if 530 has as many wolves as 531. i know where most went. we c]sat on the rivers edge on 531 &530 and saw i pack working the rivers edge back then.
I've been up on the Firebag River twice this summer and pretty much anywhere you stop on the river you will see wolf sign on the muddy banks. I think the only thing that saves a few moose to reproduce is the endless miles muskeg and beaver ponds.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:58 AM

Default moose

Need to hunt/trap more wolves, shoot some bears, the moose will come back. They are being harassed by same disease as the woodland caribou.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Need to hunt/trap more wolves, shoot some bears, the moose will come back. They are being harassed by same disease as the woodland caribou.
Moose hunting has never been real easy up here because the density has never been nearly as great as some of the other areas .
There are moose however but as Positrac stated , it ain't no cakewalk and never has been .
Cat
Old 08-02-2020, 05:55 PM

Kill the ravens, save the calves.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
Kill the ravens, save the calves.
No Ravens around here...just some Boone and Crocket crows...
Old 08-12-2020, 10:23 AM

I was looking at the tags still left and I am surprised with the amount of Cow Elk tags available. Do guys not hunt cow elk anymore?

My dad and I used to hunt cow elk all the time 20-30 years ago but when he decided to pull the pin on big game hunting, I moved on to focused on other big game animals.
Old 08-12-2020, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lund17 View Post
I was looking at the tags still left and I am surprised with the amount of Cow Elk tags available. Do guys not hunt cow elk anymore?

My dad and I used to hunt cow elk all the time 20-30 years ago but when he decided to pull the pin on big game hunting, I moved on to focused on other big game animals.
No cow Elk tags available anywhere near Fort McMurray. But I did go out and get one last January in 526 and again in November of 2017 in 526. Both times on undersubscribed tags. So ya, I love eating cow Elk. While we were successful on both trips it was no cake walk though and we count ourselves lucky that we got animals both times. In January this year we were over a kilometer down hill in some of the nastiest blow-down timber I've ever been in. That was more work than what should have to be expended to get groceries...lol.