Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-05-2020, 09:41 PM

Default Tactacam Reveal Cellular Trail Cameras

Just picked up 2 of these at Cabelas, I really wanted to buy Canadian but at $169 it was a no brainer. $13/month for unlimited pictures. If these hold up during November in Alberta I will be pretty impressed. Just thought I’d let folks interested in cell cameras know about the price of these.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:48 AM

I will be keeping an eye on this thread in the hopes of buying one of these in the future.

I have a couple of spypoint mini's and have found them to be pretty good for the price (can usually get them on sale for the same price as the Tacticam). One thing I have noticed with the Spypoint Mini is that there are areas where I will not get service to my game cam where I do have cell service (albeit not great) so I am hoping that the Tacticam may be a little better in this regard.

DR
Old 08-10-2020, 09:31 PM

Default Tactacam

I’m pretty impressed with the image quality so far.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:09 PM

Any updates? I was waiting for an in-depth review from you but instead I just pulled the trigger on two of them for myself. At this price they are cheaper than what I paid for my old fairy very basic ones.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshtar View Post
Any updates? I was waiting for an in-depth review from you but instead I just pulled the trigger on two of them for myself. At this price they are cheaper than what I paid for my old fairy very basic ones.
I’m happy with them so far but need to wait for some cold weather to really form an opinion. If they keep taking pics like they are and can run 40 + days in -20 on the batteries I will be changing out my whole fleet of cameras.
Old 08-15-2020, 07:55 PM

Thumbs up

Well I’m impressed. Two more in the arsenal today.
Old 08-22-2020, 12:35 PM

What’s the updates on the camera and please add some pictures here. Thanks
Old 09-10-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJABABY View Post

Bump... thinking of getting one so wondering if you had an update.

thanks

DR
Old 09-10-2020, 08:49 AM

On sale at Cabelas now, too.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/14188...ellular-camera
Old 09-10-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NINJABABY View Post
Do yourself a favour and go buy one, they are really good. I am picking up my third unit today as they are on sale.
Old 09-10-2020, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsman View Post
Do yourself a favour and go buy one, they are really good. I am picking up my third unit today as they are on sale.
I agree. If you’re on the fence deciding, get one. Actually get 2 so you’ll save yourself another trip in a couple days. The pricetag is great, and a few bucks a month for the season (no cancelation or setup fees) is no big deal. I run a few and noticed a few hiccups, but am highly impressed overall.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:21 PM

I'm thinking of picking up another one I've got to spy points that I like these ones are a hundred bucks cheaper though

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 09-11-2020, 12:55 PM

I almost bought one of these last week but hesitated till I heard some first hand reviews. Can someone please post some day and night pics so we can see the picture quality?

Thanks!
Old 09-11-2020, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooter View Post
I almost bought one of these last week but hesitated till I heard some first hand reviews. Can someone please post some day and night pics so we can see the picture quality?

Thanks!
Let’s see if I can do this from my phone...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0954A7D1-E5F8-44B4-B317-458FD0FDAB43.jpg (59.0 KB, 346 views)
File Type: jpg 9A19B559-B98C-4476-B5AF-14BAA34C73A3.jpg (56.5 KB, 347 views)
Old 09-12-2020, 06:16 AM

Interesting...I posted a thread on cellular cameras yesterday.

After reading this post, and seeing pic quality by some helpful people, and other positive reviews online, I bought one these this morning on sale at Cabela's.

FYI...limited online stock left. Not sure on store inventories.

Thanx...
Old 09-12-2020, 09:33 AM

Know nothing about cameras but just to let people know UFA has the Spypoint Link Micro LTE on sale for $159.99 and the Cell link adapter for $69.99 until end of month.
Old 09-12-2020, 12:31 PM

Ever since I started using video mode on my ridgetec Lookouts, I can't go without. And having an expandable battery port is really important to me.
If you don't care about either of those (which many don't) then they'd be worth a shot.
The gamble with all of these small outfits jumping on the cloud-based cell cam market is - how long will they be around?
If they go belly up, you have another regular trail camera.
Old 09-12-2020, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshtar View Post
Let’s see if I can do this from my phone...
Thanks! Picture quality is excellent. Might have to makes purchase today!
Old 09-13-2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBintheNorth View Post
Ever since I started using video mode on my ridgetec Lookouts, I can't go without. And having an expandable battery port is really important to me.
If you don't care about either of those (which many don't) then they'd be worth a shot.
The gamble with all of these small outfits jumping on the cloud-based cell cam market is - how long will they be around?
If they go belly up, you have another regular trail camera.
I was wondering how long your batteries last sending video. I was thinking about getting one.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevens View Post
I was wondering how long your batteries last sending video. I was thinking about getting one.
I built steel security boxes for mine which hold a Rechargeable 12v 5ah battery, that I plug into the external port. The same size as most home security systems.
I also install the 12 AA batteries in the camera. This is a huge advantage that the Lookout has over the Summit 4.
It'll feed off of the external until it's dead, then move onto the internals.
From the middle of May to the middle of July it took
326 pictures, 290- 15 second videos, and 62- 30 second videos. I changed the settings a couple times during the run.
Plus a "heartbeat", or status report as I call it, every half hour.
At that, the battery level was reading 25% when I changed it, so almost dead.
Old 09-14-2020, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsman View Post
You talked me into it... bought 2 last week. Looking forward to giving them a try. I certainly hope that they work more consistently than my 3 spypoint link micro. Always a crapshoot as to whether you will get pictures at the designated daily time i have mine set to send.

DR
Old 09-14-2020, 01:16 PM

Default Tactacam first photo

Bought a couple Tactacam Reveal cameras last week at Cabelas, went and set them up yesterday. First photo just came in today. Thumbnail should be attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tactacam deer1.jpg (58.4 KB, 308 views)
Old 09-16-2020, 10:59 AM

Just bought one online, I feel like Cabela's owes this site a commission off all the promo's for this.
Old 10-05-2020, 07:56 PM

Just thought I would provide an update on the early trials of my Tactacams

I have been really impressed so far, but as sportsman said, the proof will be battery life over the next couple of months.

Pros:
- really impressed with the signal of these cameras. I have 3 Spypoint link micros, set them up in areas where there are 2-3 bars of service on my phone and the micros will hardly transmit a picture (even with the extended wire and antenna up further in the tree). Set up the Tactacam and I am getting full bars 4g service. Unreal difference!
- quality of pictures is really good, see both day and night pics above. Very little blur in the night pics which really impressed me.
- customer service, have had a few questions issues( see below) and they have been quick to get back to me

Cons:
- probably my biggest issue is the photo plans. I set my first camera up in an area where i will leave it out all year, so got a full year plan. When I went to set up my second camera, it automatically signed me up for a full year plan. I sent tactacam a message and unfortunately that’s the way it is for now, cannot set up different plans for different cams.
- second issue I have had is the ability to change settings through the app. I would prefer to get pictures twice daily to save battery life. No matter how many times I try to change this setting in the app, it still sends me pictures at every trigger. This is pretty minor, but still wish it worked.

Will try to update over the next 6-8 months as we go through fall and winter and cold weather on battery life and camera performance.

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2020, 09:57 PM

Is the Tactacam compatible with Telus as a service provider?
Old 11-16-2020, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubs11 View Post
Is the Tactacam compatible with Telus as a service provider?
I think they are only a single dedicated provider. Cannot switch SIM or plans with them.

LC
Old 11-16-2020, 11:12 PM

Forgive my ignorance but I’m not familiar with the term single dedicated provider
Old 11-16-2020, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubs11 View Post
Forgive my ignorance but I’m not familiar with the term single dedicated provider
You are bound to AT&T only I believe.

LC
Old 11-17-2020, 02:31 AM

I've had mine for 3 months now.
Same batteries since and I get at least 3 pictures every night.
I put it on a known deer and coyote trail.
Performance is awesome for the price.
The reception is spotty and I'm just outside if the city limits in Calgary so I had to walk around with the camera on to show me what signal strength I was getting at certain spots.
I'd buy another one without thinking. If the cell signal isn't good, remember that it's still a trail cam with a very decent trigger speed and resolution.
Old 11-17-2020, 06:56 AM

Ok cell cams have my interest but have not taken the leap yet. I have experience with basic trail cams and have learned they are far from equal. I learned many of the brands that are recommended provided great pics but miss animals by either no pic at all or slow trigger giving a pic without an animal. I did not realize how bad some were till I started mounting 2 different brands on the same tree to compare. This makes me hesitant to try new brands because capturing a pic of the animal is what matters to me not getting pretty pics of half the animals that pass through

Reports from a friend I trust regarding the spy points are less then stellar compared to what some are saying. But he actually did comparison tests and I know most don’t. I have written these off as an option

So 2 questions

Have you tested the tactacam against against other cams to be sure it is not missing pics of animals from being too slow or not sensing them at all? They all miss the odd animal but some cams are worse then other

What is the min cell service needed? Most my locations run from 2bars LTE to 1bar 3g

Pic quality is low on my list of needs and it seems most focus on this and battery life but talk little about other issues important to cam use