Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-11-2020, 07:02 PM

Good thought Whelen. But, he opened his land to any who wanted to shoot an elk(bull or cow). Numerous hunters hunted his land but the only elk taken was the one he shot with his land owner permit. From his yard he could see cow elk walk by hunters who never made an attempt to harvest the cow. It is well known that this property holds some big bulls. Assumption is that hunters say they will take a cow but once on land hold out for one of the big boys.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck99 View Post
No, you're wrong. I allow hunting on my property.
I have 15 different hunters. I understand the importance of good hunters and friends. They are my eyes and ears.

This isn't about me. I have a big bull on my wall and do not need another one.

I had a herd of 70 elk on my land last year. Of the 70 animals, 5 were spike bulls.
It's a shame when there are no breeding animals left after the hunting season. I don't think that is good management.

Like I said in my earlier post, if they want to reduce the elk population, issue more antlerless tags.

I believe the harvest of bulls should be done on a limited basis. Issue a limited number of tags for 6 point bulls, issue a limited number of tags for 5 point bulls and issue a limited number of tags for all other bulls.
The bulls may not winter with the cows. Or there are very few left, or both.

You’re right it isn’t good management from a pure scientific point of view. I have my doubts that licensed hunters are really killing that many big bulls. I will admit we are a source of additive mortality, but I don’t think draw changes could tip the balance back. Too many other ways for them to die.

Every time a land owner says he wants to get rid of some elk, I’ve had nothing but a whole bunch of excuses when trying to get access. Lots of talk no walk. If you’re doing things better, good on ya. I get defensive whenever people try to cut the few OTC opportunities we have left. Seems the only management that happens in Alberta is putting things on draw.

I don’t know what else to say about the hunters passing cows...Many of us would love to put a cow elk in the freezer every year. I don’t need another mount either. Hell if I didn’t have a moose draw I’d offer to show up and arrow the first cow that walks in range