Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-14-2020, 06:54 PM

Default 224 Valkyrie... or is it dead and gone?

Is anyone else reloading for 224 Valkyrie in a bolt gun, or am I the only hopeless sucker?

I’m wondering what weight projectile others are shooting and getting good results with. I started with 75 grain hornady eld match. I’m hoping to get a decent midrange load before working up a long range round, perhaps with a heavier bullet. I’m still working on it to say the least...

Anyways, Let me know if You have any 224V experience!
Old 10-18-2020, 03:35 PM

I don't reload 224V for bolt, but I did build two AR platform rifles chambered in 224 Valkyrie. It was a major headache working up a load (many, many dozens of bullet, powder combinations) and I couldn't get consistent groups, but I finally did find a very accurate load. I settled on 88 gain Hornady ELDs with Varget as my powder and Starline brass. I pushed the load to just above published max my a tenth or two and the groups shrunk to 0.5-0.6 MOA. Muzzle velocity was 2,710 and single digit SD. There are a couple of Facebook groups dedicated to shooting the 224 Valkyrie and there is some really good info there. Many reloaders seem to be finding the 80 grain ELD with H4895 to be a winning combination. Have you found a load that works well in your bolt gun?
Old 10-19-2020, 05:45 AM

So far I’m seeing the same kind of results. It seems this cartridge is sensitive and difficult to maintain consistency. What barrel twist did you go with with with the builds? I haven’t found a load yet that runs under 1 moa consistently. I chose to start a bit lighter with the 75 grain Eld match, and they are shooting ok right around 3000 FPS, which is again above published max charge. In my several years of reloading I’ve never had so much trouble finding and fine tuning accuracy nodes with a given cartridge.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:10 AM

I totally agree. More headache than the other 8 cartridges I load for combined. There were many load combinations where I would have 3 or 4 of the shots touching and then a random flier. I found that for Varget, RL15, PP2000 and RL17, my best groups were at or just above max and pushing the 88 grain ELD in the 2710-2720 range out of 22-inch barrels. My rifles were both 1:7 twist. My first barrel had the problem that many early chambers had with the really long jump to the lands. My second barrel had a chamber cut shorter and loading to AR15 magazine length I'm at a .035 jump with the 88 ELDs. The second barrel is a Bartlein and it will shoot at 0.5 to 0.6 MOA with the stout Varget load (will see how the brass holds up). If you haven't found the 224V reloading groups on Facebook, give it a try. Lots of really good experience there with guys shooting 75s, 80s, and 88-90 grain bullets, and all coming from a common frustration of loading for a finicky cartridge. It may give you some good ideas as to what has worked for other reloaders. Good luck!

Last edited by cbc_anderson; 10-19-2020 at 08:15 AM.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:24 AM

Thank you for the reply! I really appreciate it. I’m gunna try a couple hundred more rounds and if I can’t get something to shoot- I may take it for what it is and sell the rifle (if I can lol). I too see a nice group with one flyer quite often!

I don’t have FB, but there is a lot of info online. I was hoping to touch base with someone closer to home and see how they did reloading for the 224V.

Thanks again!
Old 10-19-2020, 08:25 AM

I was half thinking of messing with the Valkyrie but after reading this and reading a bit more I don't have the funds or the inclination to start re-tooling !
Cat
Old 10-19-2020, 12:25 PM

Cat, probably a good decision. I do take some pride in simply persisting to find a load that works , but after all the possible combinations between four powders, 3 bullets, 6 charge weights, and 3 seating depths I was about ready to use my rifle as a fence post. Even with the final winning load I was working up to that charge with 1.00 MOA (or much worse) groups, and then I found the sweet-spot that finally cut the groups consistently in half. It is a nice long range option in an AR15 platform, but I wouldn't build a bolt gun on that cartridge. Have you looked at the 6mm AR improved cartridge (6mm AR turbo 40/6mm Fat Rat/6mm Grinch)? It looks fun.

DeadEye, I'm down in Texas, but still think of Alberta as home in many ways. Based on my research, the most commonly referenced bullet/powder combination that seems to work for this cartridge is the 80 ELD and H4895. If you have access to that comibation, I'd give it a go. I'm happy with the ballistics of my 88 ELDs at 2700 and change, but guys are getting just below 3000 with the 80 ELD, which also provides pretty impressive long range ballistics. Good luck!
Old 10-19-2020, 02:41 PM

Yeah, my match rifles are all single shots anyway so it would really not be any advantage because I already shoot the .223, 6mmBR, 6.5 Creed and 308 out to 1k
Cat
Old 10-19-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbc_anderson View Post
Cat, probably a good decision. I do take some pride in simply persisting to find a load that works , but after all the possible combinations between four powders, 3 bullets, 6 charge weights, and 3 seating depths I was about ready to use my rifle as a fence post. Even with the final winning load I was working up to that charge with 1.00 MOA (or much worse) groups, and then I found the sweet-spot that finally cut the groups consistently in half. It is a nice long range option in an AR15 platform, but I wouldn't build a bolt gun on that cartridge. Have you looked at the 6mm AR improved cartridge (6mm AR turbo 40/6mm Fat Rat/6mm Grinch)? It looks fun.

DeadEye, I'm down in Texas, but still think of Alberta as home in many ways. Based on my research, the most commonly referenced bullet/powder combination that seems to work for this cartridge is the 80 ELD and H4895. If you have access to that comibation, I'd give it a go. I'm happy with the ballistics of my 88 ELDs at 2700 and change, but guys are getting just below 3000 with the 80 ELD, which also provides pretty impressive long range ballistics. Good luck!

I have a box of 75gr left and the brass ready to go. I’ll see if I can dial in a couple nodes with them, but regardless of results I do want to try a heavier bullet out. I will try the 80s which are avail at P and D Arms here in Edmonton and the H4895 shouldn’t be too hard to find. Thanks for the advice on that combination btw, I do really appreciate it. Then after that I will prob be at the point of buying new brass or selling the rifle and dies haha.

I know I should just get into one of the 6mm as they have proven accurate, and there’s an abundance of info readily available.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:31 PM

Just came across this thread.

I've been playing with the Savage 110 Prairie Hunter in 224V for several weeks now. Results have been similar to what others are reporting here. Lots of nice four shot groups with a single flyer.

I even tried some 55gr V-Max and seem to have a consistently sub-MOA load for that bullet. 73gr is the heaviest handload I've tried so far, and I think I'm on the trail of a decent load there now. Should be able to confirm that next week. Tried Hornady factory ammo in 60gr and 88gr offerings, but no magic there either. It's certainly a frustrating calibre.

Dead Eye, if you shoot at CHAS send me a PM and maybe we can meet and compare notes.

triggerpress
Old 10-22-2020, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggerpress View Post
Just came across this thread.

I've been playing with the Savage 110 Prairie Hunter in 224V for several weeks now. Results have been similar to what others are reporting here. Lots of nice four shot groups with a single flyer.

I even tried some 55gr V-Max and seem to have a consistently sub-MOA load for that bullet. 73gr is the heaviest handload I've tried so far, and I think I'm on the trail of a decent load there now. Should be able to confirm that next week. Tried Hornady factory ammo in 60gr and 88gr offerings, but no magic there either. It's certainly a frustrating calibre.

Dead Eye, if you shoot at CHAS send me a PM and maybe we can meet and compare notes.

triggerpress
Hey trigger press I sent you a PM, sounds like we’re on the same page. I’m using the same rifle too.

Tags
224, valkyrie