Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-10-2020, 06:11 PM

Default 257 Roberts Build

Hi there,

looking for a bit of advice on a 257 Roberts build and would like to hear from those that have actually built one.

I have a left hand rem 700 Short action and LH CDL short action stock that I am going to rebarrel. Purpose is to punch paper out to 300 yards and for deer hunting where 300 yards will be the max distance. Also want to be able to shoot 110 Nosler AccuBonds and/or 100 gr TTSX.

I know there is a debate on long vs. Short action and all I have is a short action, so that is what is going to be used. For those that have built one, did you go with a shorter throat when chambering?

Anything else I should be aware of in building on a short action.

Thanks in advance.

Mark
Old 10-11-2020, 06:41 AM

Nothing wrong with doing a short throat . Only thing is you will need to get a reamer designed with a short throat or a reamer with no throat and use a separate throating reamer . That being said I have some rifles with long throats that a very accurate.
Old 10-11-2020, 11:30 PM

Default Choices

might want to look at the Ackley improved version, it is a pretty good improvement. I had one on a Win, XTR, was a thing of beauty, still have a bag of fire formed brass kicking around some place.....FS
Old 10-21-2020, 03:11 PM

A buddy has a Win 70 in 257. The projectile needs to be stuffed into the rifling for any kid of accuracy.