Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-06-2020, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPHunter64 View Post
I might just be nostalgic but I think that the Winchester '94 in 30-30 caliber is probably the coolest rifle around, and to be able to take a deer or any game with it would be pretty amazing. I think if you hunt heavy bush or woods I don't think there is a better rifle around. It is fast, light and packs plenty of punch for deer up to 200 yards. If it's good enough for Longmire it's good enough for me.
Katee Sackhoff seems to do plenty of heavy breathing around it too!

Get you some stag grips for your well worn 1911, too!

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 10-06-2020, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Perhaps I should have been more clear. I did not say it was only capable of 100 yards. I just commented I have never had to shoot anything over 90 yards. That includes elk and deer with a 270WSM. I stand by my advice to take it and go hunt a cut line with it.
Didn't think you did; tossed that in more for the guys that think the bullet drops harmlessly to the ground after X yards, while their "modern" cartridge kills no problem at half a mile.

If you hand load for your .35, and load to around 30-30 pressures with Leverevolution powder, you can get about 250 fps more than factory with a 200 gr. bullet. Maybe more?

Pureblood!
Old 10-07-2020, 12:15 PM

Last winter I bought a long time wish list rifle- ultralight 280 lefty. Mounted a 4.5-14 Leupold, spent spring and summer getting it to shoot tiny groups and practicing to 600 yards.

I had a very good fall with my new baby. I took a decent 5x5 whitetail at 50 yds and a 6x4 bull elk at 75. Could have done both with a 30-30 or better yet my 1895G 45-70.

Thinking back over the last few years, pretty much all my game has been well under 200 yards. A 30-30 would have worked for most of it...
Old 10-07-2020, 01:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewster29 View Post
Last winter I bought a long time wish list rifle- ultralight 280 lefty. Mounted a 4.5-14 Leupold, spent spring and summer getting it to shoot tiny groups and practicing to 600 yards.

I had a very good fall with my new baby. I took a decent 5x5 whitetail at 50 yds and a 6x4 bull elk at 75. Could have done both with a 30-30 or better yet my 1895G 45-70.

Thinking back over the last few years, pretty much all my game has been well under 200 yards. A 30-30 would have worked for most of it...
I have had a season like that about 10 years ago now. Built a .270 wsm mountain rig with dial ups ready to go 800+ yards then shoot a ram at 35 yards with it. Then 3 other kills that season, bull moose 40 yards, muley buck 53 yards, whitetail buck 65 yards...all with a bow. Still can't get over the irony of that season.

And people say my 6.5 Grendel is too wimpy...
Old 10-07-2020, 02:34 PM

If things go as planned I will be hunting with my 30 30 hard this fall,it's been years since I hunted seriously with one and I know if I hand load 250 is not a problem with very little risk. Most stuff is 100 yards or less anyways.

There great to carry through the bush and in thick bush they come up fast with irons.

For a while on CGN every day guys were looking for a 3030 or if one came up it was gone in no time.I had a few I had kept and sold 3 in one day,leaving me my marlin and the savage I just got.My tube spring was getting old in my marlin so I just put a new one in for 20 bucks.

JD
Old 10-07-2020, 02:44 PM

I wish the long range fad would fade away and be replaced by an “honest hunting” fad! Perhaps there are enough on here that we could start this fad? Maybe hunting with pre-1900 cartridges, rifle designs only?? I know, Mauser 96 or 98 actions, etc, etc. But that isn’t the point. Good old honest muzzleloaders, lever guns, singles loaded with black or light smokeless chamberings and shots inside 200 yards. Put the focus back on the skill!!
Now that sounds like fun!!
Old 10-07-2020, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactical Lever View Post
Didn't think you did; tossed that in more for the guys that think the bullet drops harmlessly to the ground after X yards, while their "modern" cartridge kills no problem at half a mile.

If you hand load for your .35, and load to around 30-30 pressures with Leverevolution powder, you can get about 250 fps more than factory with a 200 gr. bullet. Maybe more?

Dunno the FPS but I was loading 42.0 gr of LeveRevolution under a 200gr FTX bullet in my .35.

Now I’d love to get that Marlin 336 Dark and hunt with a suppressed 30-30. Can’t wrap my head around what they’re asking for that rifle though!!
Old 10-07-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
I wish the long range fad would fade away and be replaced by an “honest hunting” fad! Perhaps there are enough on here that we could start this fad? Maybe hunting with pre-1900 cartridges, rifle designs only?? I know, Mauser 96 or 98 actions, etc, etc. But that isn’t the point. Good old honest muzzleloaders, lever guns, singles loaded with black or light smokeless chamberings and shots inside 200 yards. Put the focus back on the skill!!
Now that sounds like fun!!

To this day over 95% of all game shot is under 250 yards. If you looked at the Eastern States most would be 100 and under. Problem is, that kind of hunting doesn't make much copy or stuff to talk about. The whole LD shooting and hunting thing is a function of a big marketing drive by gun and ammo makers to expand sales. You will burn way more powder shooting at 1000 yards than anybody will ever use up practising to shoot well at 200. Our world is driven by tech and advertising, who ever thought they would need a Bluetooth enable rifle scope, but we are being sold that it is an absolute necessity. The real problem is conventional hunting is a pretty low tech sport so how do you keep selling to someone that already has a 30-30, 308, 30-06 or 45-70 that covers all his hunting needs.
Old 10-07-2020, 03:55 PM

Love my 94 and H&R Topper
Old 10-08-2020, 04:56 AM

My ‘52 vintage Marlin 336 was the perfect tool for a wounded black bear tracking job I helped another from the board with. I forgot how danged we’ll that rifle carries. It also did right by me in this years Rifle Rodeo as well, helping me take home 3rd place.
I am convinced everyone should have something in the cabinet like a lever action 30/30, or 35 Rem, 32 Special, etc, they are just to good for carrying and hunting the tighter cover.

There are no absolutes
Old 10-09-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
To this day over 95% of all game shot is under 250 yards. If you looked at the Eastern States most would be 100 and under. Problem is, that kind of hunting doesn't make much copy or stuff to talk about. The whole LD shooting and hunting thing is a function of a big marketing drive by gun and ammo makers to expand sales. You will burn way more powder shooting at 1000 yards than anybody will ever use up practising to shoot well at 200. Our world is driven by tech and advertising, who ever thought they would need a Bluetooth enable rifle scope, but we are being sold that it is an absolute necessity. The real problem is conventional hunting is a pretty low tech sport so how do you keep selling to someone that already has a 30-30, 308, 30-06 or 45-70 that covers all his hunting needs.
Agree 100%. The LD hunting fad is all about bragging rights and ego. Hunting is about the stalk not how far away you can shoot the animal. Make sure before you shoot to stick your Iphone into the lens of the spotting scope or binos. If you don't have a range finder on them its time to trade it in and spend some more money. Make sure to take the pic so the one with the longest shot wins the prize at the Christmas party.
Old 10-09-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukongold View Post
Agree 100%. The LD hunting fad is all about bragging rights and ego. Hunting is about the stalk not how far away you can shoot the animal. Make sure before you shoot to stick your Iphone into the lens of the spotting scope or binos. If you don't have a range finder on them its time to trade it in and spend some more money. Make sure to take the pic so the one with the longest shot wins the prize at the Christmas party.
Sooo, who is to decide the parameters of "long distance"?
You? Or maybe a sighted compound bow shooter like ? A stck bow instinctive shooter ?
Or a guy who only shoots at 100 yards ?
Just because a guy shoots an animal at what don't consider long distance does not make him a lousy Hunter and conversely just because a guy shots an animal at short distance does not make him a lousy shot at longer distances
To that end I apologize for the detail
Cat
Old 10-09-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Dunno the FPS but I was loading 42.0 gr of LeveRevolution under a 200gr FTX bullet in my .35.

Now I’d love to get that Marlin 336 Dark and hunt with a suppressed 30-30. Can’t wrap my head around what they’re asking for that rifle though!!
I think if it was me, I'd look for an JM and maybe just refinish it with a parkerizing and dark matte stain for the wood. I believe lots of good rifles for cheap there. I'd like to see what happens with Marlin now that Ruger owns them.

I loaded a few shells with 180 and 200 gr. bullets with 46 gr. of Lever. Thought it was supposed to be compressed, but using Remington brass at least, found that there was room left and wasn't compressed with either bullet. I'll probably end up upping both loads slightly with the 180 gr. load having a bit more powder than the 200. According to the figures they are still low very low pressure. I'd like to get it closer to 30-30 pressures.

Factory Remington Core Lokt is rated at 2080 and I got an average of 1986 fps. The Lever seems to be slightly more consistent, and I got an average of 2322 fps with the 180 gr. and 2226 fps with the 200 gr.

Your load according to the Hornady data is probably around 2100 fps. Or a bit higher.

Pureblood!
Old 10-09-2020, 08:25 PM

Not quite the same but close enough for me. I have a Winchester model 94 in 32 Win Special. I've shot several deer with it in the bush as I'm a bush hunter. Has open sight's.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:01 AM
Gone Hunting

I expect most here are well aware that sales is not the only measure of popularity.

I often hunt with a pre 64 model 94 that I acquired in used condition over forty years ago.

It seems to me that the true popularity of any cartridge is how long it stays in use plus how many people own it. Which would of course include recent purchases.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-11-2020, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I expect most here are well aware that sales is not the only measure of popularity.

I often hunt with a pre 64 model 94 that I acquired in used condition over forty years ago.

It seems to me that the true popularity of any cartridge is how long it stays in use plus how many people own it. Which would of course include recent purchases.
Yup i agree totally, just about everyone is going to have a 30/30 in there gun safe passed down to them from there dad or uncle or bought at a gun auction. That gun has shot a lot of game and proven to be very effective within its range, and people will continue to take game with it.
Old 10-11-2020, 09:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

Exactly. Of course there are going to be more sales firearms in the new cartridges because...they are new.
There aren’t a lot of 1894 6.5 Creedmore rifles out there that I know of... but there are thousands of ‘94 30-30 Winchester’s in use 😁
Old 10-19-2020, 12:43 PM

Savage 170 carbine pump 3030 did the trick this weekend. 170 grain at 80 yards in a tree line.

https://imgur.com/gallery/RBEM58k
Old 10-19-2020, 04:16 PM
Banned

cool, didn't even know about savage 170
Old 10-19-2020, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosman177 View Post
Savage 170 carbine pump 3030 did the trick this weekend. 170 grain at 80 yards in a tree line.

Very cool. I haven't seen one of those in more than 40 years and even back then they were rare. Great to see an old classic still doing its job.
Old 10-19-2020, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Very cool. I haven't seen one of those in more than 40 years and even back then they were rare. Great to see an old classic still doing its job.
CIL also marketed them rebranded as the model 871.
Cat
Old 10-19-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosman177 View Post

I’ve shot dozens of deer with the sister rifle to yours in 30-30 other than mine was a CIL. They were exactly the same. I sold mine 20 years ago and haven’t seen another one since. I kick myself all the time since it was my first rifle.

Thanks for positing and bringing back the memories.
Old 10-19-2020, 05:44 PM

An old co-worker had one of these and asked me to clean it, safety check it, and zero the iron sights to 100 yds. It hag sat in his closet for about 18 years he said. he never shot it. Really neat gun and shot right under 2" at 100 with the irons. Nice to see one used on game
Old 10-19-2020, 07:19 PM

My kid killed his moose this fall with a single shot 3030. 1 shot. In the neck. It dropped in it's tracks.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:10 PM

This thread made me think of something ......... despite many of the rifles that I own being "long range capable" - I can only think of a handful of times where the shot was long enough that would "qualify" in most people's minds as "long range".

To me anything over 350-400 is long range. I know what my rifles are capable of, which is far better than I can do in the field (and in field conditions comfortably). I have taken less than 10, maybe 12 deer/moose/elk beyond that range in 30 years of hunting and in each case, except 1, I had a good rest and a reasonable amount of time.

For all of the other deer/elk/moose/etc.... I have killed ...... a good old 30-30 would have been just fine.
Old 10-19-2020, 08:44 PM

I just acquired a Winchester model 94 in 30-30, the serial number puts it circa 1973 manufacture, it's the top eject model, it has some bluing wear but is in overall good shape. I got it from an old buddy of mine who is trimming down and getting ready to give some guns to his kids, they didn't want it so we did a trade for something they wanted.

I have never owned a 30-30 until now, had it out and shot it today, struggled with the open sights as with my progressive bi focals I had a little trouble getting both front and rear sight in clear focus, anyway I put 6 rounds through it and had them all on the paper at 100 yards, pie plate size group, just OK.

Felt kind of good to shoot something that has a little nostalgia, going to carry it in a couple weeks when I push bush for the boy's, it should be perfect for that, they have a cow moose draw and a mulie draw here at home.

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 10-20-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
I just acquired a Winchester model 94 in 30-30, the serial number puts it circa 1973 manufacture, it's the top eject model, it has some bluing wear but is in overall good shape. I got it from an old buddy of mine who is trimming down and getting ready to give some guns to his kids, they didn't want it so we did a trade for something they wanted.

I have never owned a 30-30 until now, had it out and shot it today, struggled with the open sights as with my progressive bi focals I had a little trouble getting both front and rear sight in clear focus, anyway I put 6 rounds through it and had them all on the paper at 100 yards, pie plate size group, just OK.

Felt kind of good to shoot something that has a little nostalgia, going to carry it in a couple weeks when I push bush for the boy's, it should be perfect for that, they have a cow moose draw and a mulie draw here at home.

You should try a receiver mounted peep/ ghost. Much easier for eyes to focus just in front sight and allow rear peep to blur. You might like it
Old 10-20-2020, 08:11 AM

I am of the thinking that "I would rather be looking at what I need than looking for it". I have shot lots of stuff up close but on a rare occasion have taken deer around the 300m mark. I like a flat shooting rife to hunt with. You may not need the longer range capabilities, but its there if you need it. Kinda like a spare tire. When people ask for light recoiling cartridges for a youth or what have you, I always suggest the 243 over the 3030.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
I am of the thinking that "I would rather be looking at what I need than looking for it". I have shot lots of stuff up close but on a rare occasion have taken deer around the 300m mark. I like a flat shooting rife to hunt with. You may not need the longer range capabilities, but its there if you need it. Kinda like a spare tire. When people ask for light recoiling cartridges for a youth or what have you, I always suggest the 243 over the 3030.
Totally depends where you hunt. 90% of my hunting is done where a 200 yard view is rare. Shot opportunities are very fast and maneuverability is a must. Short light iron sighted guns are easy to carry. Fast to shoot and sights won't fog/ get snow packed in them the way a scope does. If cut lines and fields are where you hunt I agree 100%. Although I still prefer the carbine length guns for almost anything that requires much walking.
I would rather shoot a moose at 50yds with a 170 gr 30-30 than a 100 gr 6mm. Even though both will work even out to 200 yds the 6mm doesn't have much advantage and past that on things bigger than deer I don't see much advantage either
Old 10-20-2020, 10:17 AM

It is odd to me that when talking low recoil rounds with good range no one talks about the 300 Savage, 250-3000, 6.5x55 and cartridges of that type. I guess, like the 30-30, they are too "Old School" to be interesting any more, even though they are a great choice.