Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-05-2017, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
You danged near sold me that sniper rig!
Cat
Nope. That was the m70 Winchester in 30-06 that the m40 replaced during Vietnam war I almost sold you.

Found a buyer in Calgary put the money to work on my 88 blazer red neck wagon
Old 06-05-2017, 04:43 PM

The only gun I've had that I wouldn't sell was a sporterized Lee Enfield .303 that had belonged to my father-in-law. I gave it to my oldest son as I thought it would be more meaningful to him. Unless a gun belonged to someone meaningful to me or a family member, I would never classify it as unsellable. I don't get emotionally attached to my guns.
Old 06-05-2017, 05:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
A couple of family Heirlooms, this one among them.

Cat
That is a gorgeous piece.
Old 06-05-2017, 10:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
That is a gorgeous piece.
yup ... Cool Cat !!!
Old 06-05-2017, 11:17 PM

Default ...

I have 2 i would never sell

Winchester 70 lightweight in 280rem
Remington 600 with the vent rib and all in 243win

Not easy to find guns especially in those cals
Old 06-06-2017, 11:19 AM

358 Norma Mag in a custom Remington 700
Never sell it, took 12 years of harassing a friend of mine to finally have him sell it to me.
Its staying till it goes to one of my kids.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:26 AM

Winchester Model 70 extreme weather 30-06

Winchester 94 Canadian Centennial un-fired in original box
Old 06-06-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Five grand- but you get the Leupold Scope and QD Zeiss rings .
Cat
Ouch
Old 06-06-2017, 03:49 PM

I'm with Bushleague on this one. Over the past 5 or 6 years, I've given more away than I've ever sold. All went to young folks that really had the desire to get into shooting sports, but not the means. Bit of a derail, sorry.. I do have a 1959 M70 in 300 that will likely never go away.
Old 06-10-2017, 12:09 AM

Default Not for Sale

My guns not for sale are:
My dads Cooey's model 55,He paid for himself, In my safe and will be passed on to one of my boys.(ps: Looking for a front sight for it-1/2 dovetail)

Second is my Browing A-bolt medallion in a 22 magnum.A safe queen,only 5 rounds down the barrel by previous owner,

My Browning Sa-22,and the rest of my collection,Not for sale

Pin
Old 06-10-2017, 04:39 AM

Default Sentimental value

Quote:
Originally Posted by pintailslammer View Post
My guns not for sale are:
My dads Cooey's model 55,He paid for himself, In my safe and will be passed on to one of my boys.(ps: Looking for a front sight for it-1/2 dovetail)

Second is my Browing A-bolt medallion in a 22 magnum.A safe queen,only 5 rounds down the barrel by previous owner,

My Browning Sa-22,and the rest of my collection,Not for sale

Pin
The firearms I mentioned in my original post I will never rid or sell as they hold too much sentimental value such as yours which you listed.
All others are fair game.
I've test drove way too many that I'd have to sit down and with a pen and paper to list what has passed thru my hands. Some lasted less than a week!
It's just the way it goes.

"I can't have all the guns I want but I can atleast have them one at time"
Old 06-10-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgvande View Post
Ouch
1:Start with the Ruger action
2: add a set of Wolf springs
3: throw on a Kepplinger single set trigger
4: modify the cocking lever
5: add a McGowan barrel blank andchamber it in .303Brit
6: custom mill the quarter rib into the blank, contour to half round/ half octagon
7:install a Brno banded front sight and NECG rear Express sights .
8: add a AA fancy piece of walnut with Ebony fore end and shadow line cheekpiece and fit recoil pad
9:checker with 22LPI and add a pile of coats of finish
10:blue all the metal
12&T for a rail
13:add a set of Ziess QD rings and Leupold scope of choice
Yup , shouldn't be more than around, oh, $1,500 or so!
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 06-13-2017 at 06:12 AM.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:32 AM
Banned

Can't say I can bear to sell any of them, and hopefully never have to because of financial issues.
Can't even bring myself to get rid of the boys Red Ryders they each got on their 6th birthdays, which they haven't shot for years.
A firearm is not added to our collection till I've thought about it for a good long while, and justified it's use...so nothing we have was a 'whim' purchase that easily parted with.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinningchain1 View Post
I have 2 i would never sell

Winchester 70 lightweight in 280rem
Remington 600 with the vent rib and all in 243win

Not easy to find guns especially in those cals
Not a 600 but a 673 that I have. First rifle... first deer,first moose....
It may not be untouchable, but things would have to be gone sideways before she went up for sale.

My dads rem 700 in 308 is never being sold. Not my grandfathers 303 enfield
Old 06-10-2017, 10:35 AM

My first rifle I bought ,was in high school , Browning 22 lever.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:08 AM

It would be the husquvarna my dad gave.
It still shoots like new
Old 06-10-2017, 12:25 PM

I would probably never sell my Sako A7 soft touch chambered in .270, it is super accurate with moderately priced ammo, and the first rifle I ever purchased for myself!
Old 06-10-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
It still shoots like new
I like your rifle, but I like your RV a whole lot more! Very nice rig!!!
Old 06-10-2017, 10:26 PM

1912 srelingworth fox dbl barrel 12 gauge. My father gave it to me, and his father to him etc etc. Its a really nice gun, just needs the butt pad replaced. I hope someday to give it to my son. Problem being i have 3 sons.... not sure which one will get it.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
1912 srelingworth fox dbl barrel 12 gauge. My father gave it to me, and his father to him etc etc. Its a really nice gun, just needs the butt pad replaced. I hope someday to give it to my son. Problem being i have 3 sons.... not sure which one will get it.
Sweet. Yes. I got one from 1910 s/n says. It's not worth much as wood has been replace here and there it looks like. But yeah. Shoots awesome. Crows and gophers don't stand a chance. Plus the 1 coyote I cornered at the farm. Haha. Got a barrell full of buck shot. Nighty night varmint !
Old 06-10-2017, 11:02 PM

My Win model 70 pre 64 30-06. My dad gave it to me when I turned 14 that one is not for sale.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:12 AM

Pretty much everything I have is nothing special and are all replaceable. Sigs, H&K's, S&W's, IWI/MRI, Glocks, Rugers, etc, all mass produced tools. Nothing collectable about them other than perhaps where they were made (Austria/Germany/Israel vs USA remakes etc). I have some that I wouldn't sell at a loss that's for sure and would rather keep it than take a loss on them, but everything I have has a price. There are some I would sell before others, like any of my cheap 1911's. All the guns under a grand would be first to go. My 50AE would be one of the last to go even though its the least practical firearm I own. The main reason I bought it in the first place was because it was a deal I couldn't refuse. Were I to sell it and then want to buy another down the road, $3000+ bucks for a novelty hand gun just wouldn't make sense. That and nothing stops a course of fire like an unannounced blast from a 50. It's fun to reload, fun to shoot, fun to take slow motion videos of. It's a really fun gun to fire. So were I to sell it I would likely never own one again, and it would feel like having heated seats and Air conditioning in your vehicle and then buying a vehicle without. Once you've had it its not something you want to now go without. I'm fortunate to have that choice.

Obviously as someone mentioned if family was on the line and things were dire and kidneys needed to be bought and homes were to be lost then I would have to thin the heard, to nothing if that's what it took, but I don't like selling firearms, especially in this country. They have proven to be good investments thus far and shooting is my so called "Anti-Drug". It's my hobby. My friends embraced it, my wife embraced it, hell she even got a 1911 for her birthday a few years back when I took a gamble that she would like one of her own and she was so excited. (Segway: I pitty those poor bastards that have to sell their firearms because their spouse wont allow them) Plus I would rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

That said now that I ponder, my Dads old Cooey 60 from Woolco would also never be sold willingly for no good reason for the simple fact it's worth next to nothing but it's also the gun I learned to shoot growing up, honing my skills and building a relationship with my old man that I cherish to this day and I would rather keep it and do nothing with other than reflect on my youth than give it away. It has the clichι sentimental value.

Maybe one day I will own a gun that is actually a bonefied collectable, but for right now I just like to shoot them and clean them and shoot them some more.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
It still shoots like new
Got 2 much like yours in 30-06 that are within 1000 serial numbers of each of other that my boys will be getting when the get settled.

For the right price anything is for sale but my price is often inflated. I've done a little trading lately that I'm happy with. Hopefully the other guy is happy to.
Old 06-15-2017, 11:14 PM

Default Parker hale.

Most guns i own would be slightly inflated for me to sell, but there is one i would never sell, that would be my parker hale model 1200 super safari chambered in .270 win.
Great condition and was my first rifle.
Old 06-16-2017, 11:56 PM

A.H. Fox Sterlingworth 12 Gauge side by side with double triggers.

It was my Grandfather's Shotgun and he purchased it brand new. I do not have a son to pass this along to so it will be passed along to one of my daughters.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:56 AM

This is my favorite rifle. Would have a hard time selling it...

It is a Long Lee that was carried by Trooper Garner from the Strathcona Horse during the Boer War.

Over the course of his service in South Africa, Alfred Garner etched his name as well as the names of the battles that he participated in on the butt of his Lee-Enfield rifle.

Engraved on his rifle were the following locations:

• PAARDEKOP
• AMESFOORT
• ERMELO
• CAROLINA
• TWYFLAAR
• BURGANDALE

On 4 September 1900, Pte Garner was severely injured at Badfontein. He was shot twice in the right thigh and once in the left shoulder. He would later be Mentioned in Dispatches for this action. Details of this action taken from the Regimental Diary state:

Wounded, No.98 Pte. Gamer, whose horse fell and prevented him from getting into the thick of the fight as soon as the others. Before he could join them he was severely wounded. One of the surgeons who was out shooting inside the outposts came up and dressed his wound. Some Boers were observed approaching but were stood off by the plucky surgeon with the aid of the wounded man's rifle.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
This is my favorite rifle. Would have a hard time selling it...

It is a Long Lee that was carried by Trooper Garner from the Strathcona Horse during the Boer War.

Over the course of his service in South Africa, Alfred Garner etched his name as well as the names of the battles that he participated in on the butt of his Lee-Enfield rifle.

Engraved on his rifle were the following locations:

• PAARDEKOP
• AMESFOORT
• ERMELO
• CAROLINA
• TWYFLAAR
• BURGANDALE

On 4 September 1900, Pte Garner was severely injured at Badfontein. He was shot twice in the right thigh and once in the left shoulder. He would later be Mentioned in Dispatches for this action. Details of this action taken from the Regimental Diary state:

Wounded, No.98 Pte. Gamer, whose horse fell and prevented him from getting into the thick of the fight as soon as the others. Before he could join them he was severely wounded. One of the surgeons who was out shooting inside the outposts came up and dressed his wound. Some Boers were observed approaching but were stood off by the plucky surgeon with the aid of the wounded man's rifle.

Very cool. That's a great find.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:40 AM

This is one I probably won't sell. A tack driver to a kilometre. And for a .223rem, that's darn good.

Old 06-17-2017, 09:56 AM

Once you get looking at each gun there seems to be lots of reasons to keep each. If I have to...

*My Browning 7MM RM - my first rifle and the only one of mine that's killed any game.

*Dad's rifles: A Marlin 30-30 that's mint, his Smith and Wesson 7MM RM, and a very old 22 LR with stock feed - Winchester Super Speed?

Got a 22-250 on the buy and sell that nobody seems to want...

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:04 AM

I've got two I'd never sell. It's not that they're special in any way except they have sentimental value.

A Remington 760 in .300sav I inherited from my grandfather. Much of the blueing is worn off and the stock has been sanded and oiled. I shot my first moose and deer with this rifle.

I've also got a Spanish made "El Faisan" folding double barrel .410 from my other grandfather. When my grandmother moved to town she gave it to me. She had kept it many years for scaring bears out of the yard. It's in very good shape but I'm unsure of its age. I can say he passed in '77 so it's at least that old.

Ahhh who am I kidding I'd never sell any of my guns out of my very small collection. They all have many great memories attached to them.