Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2021, 10:25 PM

Default Shipping from the US

I am looking at getting some auto parts from the US. In the past I have shipped to montana and driven down to the border to bring them across. What are guys doing now? They are a couple hundred pounds and freight is ridiculous to get them all the way here.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:40 PM

I use rockauto .com
Best prices anywhere. Great selection. They show what duty charges are. No surprises.

The other option is to call your local parts store and ask them to match prices or come close.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:42 PM

Depends what you're buying and who you're buying it from, but I typically buy all my auto parts from RockAuto. They've got shipping rates that most individuals can't get. For example, I used their account to return an alternator core, from Red Deer to NY was two days and around $30.00. A plastic cap, loonie size, from Edmonton to Red Deer was $14.00 on the individual account. I guess I'd see if the seller can get a better rate than you can individually.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:37 AM

I usually check prices on rockautoto or summit to keep my local store honest but this time its some ported aluminum heads and a crank kit that summit doesnt offer so I have to find out how to ship. Gonna be about 200 pounds on a pallet so Im looking for options.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:50 AM

Fedex or DHL are top notch!
Old 01-24-2021, 10:31 AM

When you shipped to the border previously I assume that you used Montana Shipping Outlet.

Since we can't do that right now I have used DYK Post, you create a free Mail Box at their Sweet Grass depot, then you can request them to import and bring the items to Calgary or Edmonton. The cost is ok, depends on how much you are saving on buying in the US, and if the item ships free in the US that helps with the overall shipping cost.

https://www2.dykpost.com/canada-bound-shipping/
Old 01-24-2021, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rae61 View Post
When you shipped to the border previously I assume that you used Montana Shipping Outlet.

Since we can't do that right now I have used DYK Post, you create a free Mail Box at their Sweet Grass depot, then you can request them to import and bring the items to Calgary or Edmonton. The cost is ok, depends on how much you are saving on buying in the US, and if the item ships free in the US that helps with the overall shipping cost.

https://www2.dykpost.com/canada-bound-shipping/
got some targets with them now

they deliver up to Edmonton,and Calgary and one other place in,alberta
Old 01-24-2021, 10:46 AM

My experience with DYK Post was not as favourable as some of yours appear to have been.
On an $820 Cdn order of car parts ( none of which were oversize, overweight, etc) my bill from DYK was $152.
It also took another 28 days for the parcels to get from Montana to the Edmonton depot.
I guess that goes to show that YMMV.....
Old 01-24-2021, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2C3PO View Post
My experience with DYK Post was not as favourable as some of yours appear to have been.
On an $820 Cdn order of car parts ( none of which were oversize, overweight, etc) my bill from DYK was $152.
It also took another 28 days for the parcels to get from Montana to the Edmonton depot.
I guess that goes to show that YMMV.....
mine has not been great either but they are almost the only game in town unless you ship direct from the USA to your door, with those costs

I was going to order a neat pull through for a air rifle with a t handle

it was 30 bucks USA but the shipping was 160 USA. WOW. will call them and see if somebody in there office can put it in a small padded envelope and send for 15 bucks

but I agree DYK is not great staff

hope I don’t jinks my order it was at USA border for 2 weeks they could only find 1 of 3 boxes, great
Old 01-24-2021, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
mine has not been great either but they are almost the only game in town unless you ship direct from the USA to your door, with those costs
That they are ! Not many options now especially with Covid and border restrictions.
Old 01-24-2021, 02:15 PM

see if north american van line can shipped across the boarder