Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2021, 03:47 PM

Default Shopping for New Fangled truck.... lessons...

Hey...

Did u guys know that some trucks no longer come with tape decks or even CD players?

AND.... I’m going over this 2010 Frontier... and the cal to what I figured was the transmission fluid dipstick was screwed shut.... how the hella a guy supposed to check the tranny fluid?? See if it’s burnt or not.?

And seats that heat themselves creepy man.....

Needless to say... still looking for a vehicle.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 01-23-2021, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Hey...

Did u guys know that some trucks no longer come with tape decks or even CD players?

AND.... I’m going over this 2010 Frontier... and the cal to what I figured was the transmission fluid dipstick was screwed shut.... how the hella a guy supposed to check the tranny fluid?? See if it’s burnt or not.?

It’s a buggeer trying to find a good one at the right price.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:04 PM

Yeah my Donny Osmond and KISS Dynasty 8 track hasn't seen the light of day ..... now you are telling me my Metallica Master of Puppets tape is no good either???

A&B sound and Sam the Record Man probably hating it these days.

The only thing I can tell you is .......... NEVER ........... EVER ........ buy the first model year of any vehicle where major changes were made (engine or the design of the vehicle).

There are so many useless things on today's trucks I've never used ........ I'm pretty sure on my last 2 trucks I didn't use the sunroof once ......... not once. But I paid for it.

Also the rear slider window.

Both could have been fake and stuck in place - never would have noticed.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:06 PM

Thumbs up New fangled motor carz

Hey Bessie if you find one I have a 8track kickin around along with some tapes ...mostly Black Sabbath and Deep Purple like stuff
Old 01-23-2021, 04:08 PM

I remember the days where you could pop the hood and actually work on your own vehicle. And ....... had plenty of room to get wrenches into places - I remember climbing into (under) the hood and sitting in the engine bay on one side to work on stuff - now a days - you can't get past all the plastic, wires and other stuff you have no idea what it is until you really look to see where it's coming from or going !!!!!!!
Old 01-23-2021, 04:19 PM

My 92 Mazda still has a tape deck
My buddy makes me collective soul mix tapes

Yea... this gonna be hard. I checked out a truck... just came into the stealership
Really good Kms
Had been in an accident, they got it on auction... from BC
Check underneath and Bc must use battery acid for road Salt cause wow! The rust!

So I figured they come wayyy down on their $ due to it just coming in, having not put any lipstick on it yet (big wad of gum welded on the front seat)

Sales guy..... ‘nope’... I’m like ‘just drove three hours buddy’.
He’s like
Nope.

I hate dealerships.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Hey...

Just wait til you drive one without a shift handle. Thou mind shalt be blown. For a week after getting a new truck I was reaching for the steering column mounted version. Hello dash dial.

Now I get into a conventional unit and reach for the dial. Amazing how little things can screw with an aging mind.
Old 01-23-2021, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I remember the days where you could pop the hood and actually work on your own vehicle. And ....... had plenty of room to get wrenches into places - I remember climbing into (under) the hood and sitting in the engine bay on one side to work on stuff - now a days - you can't get past all the plastic, wires and other stuff you have no idea what it is until you really look to see where it's coming from or going !!!!!!!
I had a 1961 GMC way back in the 1980’s, I bet that I could close the hood while I was still in the engine compartment
Old 01-23-2021, 05:19 PM

2018 terrain in the shop has push button on the dash for the transmission...

https://gmauthority.com/blog/wp-cont...sm-in-Park.jpg
Old 01-23-2021, 05:24 PM

Good luck with your vehicle search. When searching for new vehicle for the wife a couple years ago we told ourselves that a lot of the new bells and whistles on vehicles now just seem like something more to go wrong. She learned this on a fully loaded vehicle , she owned previous, with premium trim and features. She was visiting the dealer every few months for some electrical issue with said features. She finally said screw it and got a basic Toyota suv and hasn’t had problems since. Sometimes wish they still made crank windows haha
Old 01-23-2021, 05:34 PM

Quote:

On some trucks , you now have to remove the cab to work on the engine.

Grizz
Old 01-23-2021, 05:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
The only thing I can tell you is .......... NEVER ........... EVER ........ buy the first model year of any vehicle where major changes were made (engine or the design of the vehicle).
That's an old wives' tale.
Old 01-23-2021, 05:48 PM

Why are new trucks so expensive?
Because they come with all this extra crap.
Old 01-23-2021, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Smeller View Post
That's an old wives' tale.
Well ......... that wives tale caused me lots and lots of grief as my vehicles were in the dealership getting fixed on multiple occasions. One was a VW touareg diesel and the other was a GMC 1500 when the new engine/body style came out.

The GMC has strange quirky stuff, like the tranny shifting strangley and racing up and down trying to figure out what to do and some cooling and radiator issues and the touch screen would go silly and lock up sometimes - but was still a PITA.

The Touareg would loose power and the turbo would just intermittently quit and the engine was bucking like a bronco and miss-firing - far more serious since it was intermittent and they couldn't figure out wtf was going on - this was 4-5 months of in and out of the shop. This vehicle, I later found out, was what was supposed to be the T3 in the test market with super low emissions and low fuel consumption. Used twice as much additive and a third less the fuel it was supposed to. The first vehicle I EVER owned that fuel milage was BETTER than posted on the window sticker - even towing!!!!! That vehicle could tow a house through the mountains and sip fuel - was crazy how awesome it was when it worked right. too bad - it was a love hate vehicle for me.

VW never released that and discontinued that model thereafter. I think they have an ATLAS or something now.

Since then - never a new model year for me.

Even if it's covered under warranty (which both cases were) - time wasted and inconvenience of it was enough for me.

Last edited by EZM; 01-23-2021 at 06:04 PM.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:02 PM

Most of the young generation don't even know what a cassette tape is....let alone a 8-track.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:03 PM

of all the new fangled features I sure like my heated seats. They are not on that long but until the truck warms up I like them.
Having trouble with the cluster gauges on my 2006 Cummins. I got a cluster from the auto wreckers put it in and the truck would not start. Found out behind the cluster are all kinds of computer chips that control many things
including starting. I put the old cluster back in and it started. I would like to go back to a gauge just does what it is supposed to and tells you how much fuel you have left and so on.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
of all the new fangled features I sure like my heated seats. They are not on that long but until the truck warms up I like them.
Having trouble with the cluster gauges on my 2006 Cummins. I got a cluster from the auto wreckers put it in and the truck would not start. Found out behind the cluster are all kinds of computer chips that control many things
including starting. I put the old cluster back in and it started. I would like to go back to a gauge just does what it is supposed to and tells you how much fuel you have left and so on.

Heated seats, air conditioned seats, and heated steering wheel are the best options going. Don't know how I could have a truck without them now.

Bluetooth is right up there but don't tell Bessie. He's on the search for something made in the last 5 years that's compatible with his stack of April Wine 8 tracks.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Heated seats, air conditioned seats, and heated steering wheel are the best options going. Don't know how I could have a truck without them now.

Bluetooth is right up there but don't tell Bessie. He's on the search for something made in the last 5 years that's compatible with his stack of April Wine 8 tracks.
April Wine .... lol .... that made me laugh

I bet Bessie has an ABBA or BeeGees one in there too - secretly of course ...
Old 01-23-2021, 06:43 PM

Default Avoid Sherwood Ford.

Nothing else to offer to the thread. Just that.

Good luck in your search.
Old 01-23-2021, 06:47 PM

Quote:

That’s how they get you to take it back to the dealership to spend money there!
Old 01-23-2021, 06:50 PM

Nothin wrong with a little ABBA

Got a good DrHook cassette......

I’m still tryna get ma pichur on a COVER o da ROLLIN STONE!!!

I knew playing with a stealership was a bad idea.

Back to kijiji.... need a hunting - driving rig
Old 01-23-2021, 07:01 PM

A few years ago we bought a car that had no spare tire . I was told that most people who buy cars these days wouldn't know how to change a flat anyways .
Old 01-23-2021, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Nothin wrong with a little ABBA

Got a good DrHook cassette......

I’m still tryna get ma pichur on a COVER o da ROLLIN STONE!!!

I knew playing with a stealership was a bad idea.

Back to kijiji.... need a hunting - driving rig
so how did you make out with the truck you blew the timing belt on. How badly was it hurt
Old 01-23-2021, 07:20 PM

Frontier is the most old school truck made but you already checked it out..they only get worse from there for gadgets.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Hey...

I feel your pain...many new vehicles don't even have an oil dipstick.....man I miss the 89s and 90s ........I don't want heated seats or Windows that go up and down from a button. Or an engine that senses the tires are slipping and throws the whole thing into limp mode. I don't want back up cameras or bumper sensors.....
What I do want is a cup holder for my coffee and a seat that has tilt ( with no head rest) flipping annoying to have your cowboy had always banging on the head rest, roll up windows and a radio. All the other Crap is just not needed or wanted by me
Old 01-23-2021, 07:33 PM

Default Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie View Post
so how did you make out with the truck you blew the timing belt on. How badly was it hurt
She’s still in the shop. My guy is a one man operation and he’s in demand, so I told him work on it when ya can, no real rush.

Wifey officially declared that my Xterra is now an ‘unreliable POS’ and I better get something that she can trust to get us out of the ‘stupidness I get into vehicle wise’

I think she’s referring to the time I mistook a snow cornice for the road up the Adenac Pass an got lil stuck up there.

Took one big arse diesel truck amid two sleds to get me out.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:43 PM

Wife has an X and it likes money just like popeye likes spinach. She is probably onto something..
Old 01-23-2021, 07:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
She’s still in the shop. My guy is a one man operation and he’s in demand, so I told him work on it when ya can, no real rush.

Wifey officially declared that my Xterra is now an ‘unreliable POS’ and I better get something that she can trust to get us out of the ‘stupidness I get into vehicle wise’

I think she’s referring to the time I mistook a snow cornice for the road up the Adenac Pass an got lil stuck up there.

Took one big arse diesel truck amid two sleds to get me out.
Are you still a school teacher in the Crowsnest Pass?
Old 01-23-2021, 08:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Smeller View Post
Are you still a school teacher in the Crowsnest Pass?
No, but he plays on on the innernet
Old 01-23-2021, 08:16 PM

My 03 Chevy has a tape deck, CD, and rear seat DVD factory. I always laugh about that. I didn’t own any cassettes anymore and it has never had a tape in it it’s whole life. But cassette and DVD in the same vehicle I always giggle about.

I also agree with a sunroof being a waste of money. Nowadays a rear-sliding window too. But back in my younger days a regular cab and a beer window, err I mean soda window was money well spent.