Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2021, 05:56 PM

Default RCMP union launches campaign against Alberta provincial police force

More eastern lobbying trying to set policy for western canadians.

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/pol...l-police-force

The NFA have set up their own anti Alberta Police Force website.

https://www.keepalbertarcmp.ca/
Old 01-22-2021, 06:40 PM

They can do what ever they want, I believe the province needs to give the RCMP 2 years to get out of Alberta, notice must have been given to the RCMP, no more east influence for the west, and we have our own gun guy in the big house I believe.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cross Eyed Cowboy View Post

You mean the RCMP union is actually fighting for RCMP jobs???? How weird is that ?
Old 01-22-2021, 06:48 PM

Seriously? That’s another slap in the face... if Alberta wants to punt them then so be it. They’re public servants, they don’t have a say.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:53 PM

No doubt there'd be some growing pains, but I believe AB would be better off with our own force in the long run.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:54 PM

That’s another slap in the face...For the east, if Alberta wants to punt them then so be it. They’re public servants, they don’t have a say.lets hope this goes viral so everyone in Alberta knows, no more east do this or that for Us
Old 01-22-2021, 07:32 PM

The polling firm that the NFA used is headquartered in Toronto to no surprise.

Whats ridiculous how they arrived at:

"81% of Albertans served by RCMP are satisfied with the service they receive"

Considering only 1300 rural/urban responses are mentioned as bases for the survey numbers.

Now out of a Alberta population of about 4.4 million that equates to well less than 1%.

But that big red number of 81% sure catches the eye.
Old 01-22-2021, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
No doubt there'd be some growing pains, but I believe AB would be better off with our own force in the long run.
Agree 100 % time to skid the RCMP, hire and run our own force.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:09 PM

Let's get the firewall built already!

I suspect most of the officer's would keep their jobs but just be APP now.

Many of the APP/BCPP guys transitioned to RCMP when it went the other way
Old 01-22-2021, 08:15 PM

Quote:

I can't find any link between the NFA (National Firearms Association)and the 'keepalbertarcmp website. I see the National Police Federation (NPF) is involved, but not the NFA. What am I missing ?
Old 01-22-2021, 08:18 PM

The less that we have to do with Ottawa or the RCMP, the better.
Old 01-22-2021, 08:25 PM
Banned

Campaigns that have to advocate for thier own survival says something.

They will never be needed if they fulfilled thier duties to satisfaction.

How many more chances do we give the horsemen to look in the mirror?
Old 01-22-2021, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
I can't find any link between the NFA (National Firearms Association)and the 'keepalbertarcmp website. I see the National Police Federation (NPF) is involved, but not the NFA. What am I missing ?
Sorry, I made a typing mistake. It should NOT read as NFA but instead NPF (National Police Federation)

Thanks for pointing that out, my bad!

Last edited by Cross Eyed Cowboy; 01-22-2021 at 09:00 PM.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:42 PM

There is no sense even commenting on it. If you are for a provincial police force the comment disappears pretty quickly.
Old 01-23-2021, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
The less that we have to do with Ottawa or the RCMP, the better.
Absolutely.

No more taking orders from Ottawa on Alberta specific issues.

Plus the RCMP can't seem to get a grip on rural crime to the point people are taking the law into their own hands, it's been going on for years now. Try going 10 over on any highway though and they aren't hard to find at all. Priorities
Old 01-23-2021, 10:07 AM

Great, we design a new semi competent police force at very high cost to replace the "Best police force in the world" We can then charge more farm boys for operating a tractor on a rural road and not stopping for alcohol test.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:44 AM

I live in Lethbridge, I’m not sold on the police... it’s been my observation that the RCMP are far better then a police force.
It won’t matter what we go with if the laws do not change or at the very least police officers are held accountable for there actions.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Great, we design a new semi competent police force at very high cost to replace the "Best police force in the world" We can then charge more farm boys for operating a tractor on a rural road and not stopping for alcohol test.
Having lived in smaller cities that use the RCMP, and a smaller city that has their own force, and having dealt with representatives of the forces, as an executive of the ranges that they practice and qualify at, I much prefer the city force where I currently live. The attitude is much different when the officers have roots in the community, and don't just stay a few years and move on to the next location. As well, the RCMP have become a political pawn of our government, rather than the well respected force they once were.
Old 01-23-2021, 12:18 PM

Each province should have their own P.P.

Ontario and Quebec do?

As soon as the RCMP entered "Political Arena" they really hurt their credibility.

They should be regulated to National Security, Ceremonial and Protection detail.
Old 01-23-2021, 01:09 PM

Give th RCMP 2 years to pack up and get out. Offer any front line qualified, experienced officers who want to stay in AB a place in the new APP (upper management RCMP gtfo).
Old 01-23-2021, 01:26 PM

It would be good to hear the opinions from some of the First Nations folks as to what they think of the whole idea of a provincial police force in lieu of the RCMP.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post
Let's get the firewall built already!

I suspect most of the officer's would keep their jobs but just be APP now.

Many of the APP/BCPP guys transitioned to RCMP when it went the other way
Back in the 70's when Alberta was floating the idea of a provincial police service, an RCMP Inspector stated that a lot of RCMP members would just change uniforms.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hardin View Post
Back in the 70's when Alberta was floating the idea of a provincial police service, an RCMP Inspector stated that a lot of RCMP members would just change uniforms.
I call BS on that one.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hardin View Post
There is 2500 RCMP Members in Alberta. That means a minimum of 100 to 120 retirements a years. To replace those Members you would need 4 to 5, 25 person cadet training classes a year. All you have to draw on is Alberta residents, that will surely choose CPS or EPS or LPS or Lacombe or Camrose or Medicine Hat over going to Fort McMurray or Assumption. And currently there is no provincial training facility, heck EPS just lost their training facility as it is being torn down to build houses.

Recruitment and training is just 1 of many huge issues the province would face.

The cost increase would be crazy. In addition to the RCMP receiving federal money, they also work in conditions that no other police union would allow. RCMP accounted for as a unit, 1 person, 1 vehicle. Under provincial police rules (EPS, CPS etc) 1 unit from 6pm to 6am is 2 persons, 1 vehicle. Heck some RCMP Detachments only have 2-3 people. Hard to make someone work 365 days a year. So if there is 2500 RCMP right now, it would take 3500 provincial police officers to give the same unit coverage.

It might happen, but it is not happening in the next 5 years because the province doesn't have the needed resources or the money with the current economic downturn.
Old 01-23-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
There is 2500 RCMP Members in Alberta. That means a minimum of 100 to 120 retirements a years. To replace those Members you would need 4 to 5, 25 person cadet training classes a year. All you have to draw on is Alberta residents, that will surely choose CPS or EPS or LPS or Lacombe or Camrose or Medicine Hat over going to Fort McMurray or Assumption. And currently there is no provincial training facility, heck EPS just lost their training facility as it is being torn down to build houses.

Recruitment and training is just 1 of many huge issues the province would face.

The cost increase would be crazy. In addition to the RCMP receiving federal money, they also work in conditions that no other police union would allow. RCMP accounted for as a unit, 1 person, 1 vehicle. Under provincial police rules (EPS, CPS etc) 1 unit from 6pm to 6am is 2 persons, 1 vehicle. Heck some RCMP Detachments only have 2-3 people. Hard to make someone work 365 days a year. So if there is 2500 RCMP right now, it would take 3500 provincial police officers to give the same unit coverage.

It might happen, but it is not happening in the next 5 years because the province doesn't have the needed resources or the money with the current economic downturn.
Agree with you 100%. It is obvious you are in the know. I know a tad about these contracts too.

Now pick better hockey players in your team next week in the pool...
Old 01-23-2021, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Seriously? That’s another slap in the face... if Alberta wants to punt them then so be it. They’re public servants, they don’t have a say.
So when you say servant you really mean slave right?

Everybody's allowed a say, nobody has to listen.

And Alberta doesn't want the RCMP to leave. Alberta is a place.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
They can do what ever they want, I believe the province needs to give the RCMP 2 years to get out of Alberta, notice must have been given to the RCMP, no more east influence for the west, and we have our own gun guy in the big house I believe.
I believe we already appoint our provincial CFO (gun guy as you described).

Problem is, gun laws are federal, and just because he's "your guy" doesn't mean he can change the rules.

There may be an advantage in one sense, he can influence which laws are more actively enforced (or perhaps place less emphasis on certain activities) - but that would be about it I think.

We are still screwed as long as twinkle toes remains at the helm in Ottawa.

We need to change legislation. The APP isn't going to solve our liberal's views on how all guns are bad and scary.
Old 01-24-2021, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I believe we already appoint our provincial CFO (gun guy as you described).

Problem is, gun laws are federal, and just because he's "your guy" doesn't mean he can change the rules.

There may be an advantage in one sense, he can influence which laws are more actively enforced (or perhaps place less emphasis on certain activities) - but that would be about it I think.

We are still screwed as long as twinkle toes remains at the helm in Ottawa.

We need to change legislation. The APP isn't going to solve our liberal's views on how all guns are bad and scary.
Not really....

The CFO really only has jurisdiction over the licensing of individuals and businesses. In regards to charges of unsafe storage, unsafe transport, or unauthorized possession, etc... the CFO has no ability to influence the decision of a police force to charge or not to charge. The police force uses the Firearms Act to substantiate charges under Section 85 through to Section 108 of the Criminal Code, but do not rely on the discretion of the CFO. Actually it is the exact opposite, where normally the CFO will not become involved in a situation where criminal charges are laid. If there are regulatory issues, they will wait until the charge proceedings are concluded.

What a provincial CFO can do is make decision in relation to ATT's and ATC's and public ranges. That would probably be the biggest benefit or detriment to gun owners in Alberta. Remember, a provincial CFO will be appointed by the provincial government and will be in line with their mandate, or in short, the wishes of the people of Alberta. So take for example the court case against the Spruce Grove range several years ago. Do you think that the majority of Alberta residents (specifically spruce grove residents)were in favor or against the range?

A provincial CFO does not automatically mean gun owners in Alberta are on easy street.... in some cases it could mean the exact opposite.

Now, if there was a provincial police force, then there could be a directive from the province on priorities, but it would be fairly difficult for a province to tell a police force what they can and can not enforce. And if there was a directive it would not come from the CFO, but from the Sol Gen's office.

Last edited by brendan's dad; 01-24-2021 at 12:54 AM.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:18 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
It would be good to hear the opinions from some of the First Nations folks as to what they think of the whole idea of a provincial police force in lieu of the RCMP.
I believe they have already made their choice, where they could.

Some already have their own police force.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-24-2021, 06:29 AM
Gone Hunting

Some times paying more is better then tolerating a dysfunctional force.

Unfortunately I'm not convinced we would achieve that by replacing the RCMP.

Yes the upper management in the RCMP are lass then ideal but so are the upper management players in provincial law enforcement branches such as F&W.

And that can be traced back to the very top, our Premier.

The heavy handed approach to everything, from the top down is the problem, not front line officers in any branch.

Are we really saving any lives by bankrupting small businesses in an attempt to stop a disease we have been utterly unable to even slow down?

It's the same top down sledge hammer approach.

George Bernard Shaw