Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-24-2021, 08:18 PM
Banned

I liked the show when it first came out
But it’s evolved into something that I no longer watch
Kinda like Canadian whitetail.... there’s only so many episodes you can watch of deer coming into huge bait piles

He is a big mule deer killing machine though
Old 01-24-2021, 08:22 PM

Default I agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveyn View Post
The whooping and hollering is a real turn off for me. I think its incredibly disrespectful. The death of the quarry should be kind of a somber moment with maybe a backslap and a handshake among hunting partners.
I think the whole fist pump and woo-hoo stuff sends completely the wrong message to young hunters.
Just me 2 cents.
Don't think I have ever had the urge to scream or holler after I have killed an animal! But I'm not on tv! Maybe I'd do it if you paid me enough $$, but not likely.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:36 PM

Got rid of wildtv a long time ago. Tried the sportsmans channel. Not much different.
Lot's of great hunting shows on youtube. No commercials, no sponsors (well the odd sponsor but hardly even notice it.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:51 PM

The only hunting shows I can watch are Meateater and Randy Newberg. Both are available free on youtube. Way better than anything WildTV has.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:00 PM

Hunting channels need the ads to survive so its part of the game, I don’t blame them for it. You tube has a lot of selection for hunts, often not as professional but with premium you get no ads. For those of us ‘stuck’ in the city waiting for the next adventure beyond the suburbs I am thankful for media of the outdoors, gets me through the week
Old 01-24-2021, 10:07 PM
Banned

Didnt cody hold his sponsors hostage when he shot that big buck?
Pay up or I’m going to say i shot it with this other product?
Old 01-25-2021, 06:40 AM

Only on AO Will guys complain small town sask kid that made a name for himself and most his episodes are him taking the neighbour or friends kid out.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
Kinda like Canadian whitetail.... there’s only so many episodes you can watch of deer coming into huge bait piles

But he is in a province that only allows res to hunt those big muleys ,No outfitters ,no can res ,But yes he has killed some big ones.
Old 01-25-2021, 06:44 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
Learned those tricks from his old buddy Jim Schocky. The king of endorsements.
Nothing wrong with Jim nor Cody....haters going to hate....luv thier shows....just not a fan of wild tv.....that's why we got choices...pass the remote.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-25-2021, 07:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotecaller View Post
I thought I was the only one that didn’t like the commercials yet alone the show. I haven’t watched Cody since his days with Jim. When I see that commercial, I quickly hit last channel. He has an orgasm every time he shoots something. Everything is awesome with him. He should be in that kids LEGO movie singing everything is awesome.

What really turned me off was when he said he continues to feed and bait animals after the season is over, justifying his hunting style. What a joke.
When I watched Cody, it reminded me of the dime store fisherman from years ago when they first came on. The whooping and hollering is/ was way overboard. There is no arguing that the animals taken on his show are top rung. And yes, better to watch western Canada ( for the most part) than overseas hunts.
Old 01-25-2021, 07:59 AM

I havent seen any of these shows, and have no interest.
I believe marketing does more harm than good. Guys
Think designer camo, trendy cartridges, and techy junk makes them them look like a good hunter.

Unfortinatly you cant sell reading the wind, or time in the bush!

Brad
Old 01-25-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
Only on AO Will guys complain small town sask kid that made a name for himself and most his episodes are him taking the neighbour or friends kid out.
^^^^^^^^^ this. I actually don’t watch wild tv anymore either. Way to much screaming and hollering. When I finally connected with my whitetail I was after specifically for 4 years, I collapsed to the ground when I saw him draw his last breath. I couldn’t say a word.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:36 AM

Reading this though this makes me feel ok that I’ve never had wildtv.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:49 AM

love the show and the Canadian content personally. It takes special people to be in front of the camera and not everyone can do it. I also like Randy Newberg and for the most part its their personalities that win me over. I like the option.
Old 01-25-2021, 08:58 AM

Live 2 Hunt is easily my favorite show on Wild TV. I don't see much of anything wrong with what goes on in that show. As far as all the excitement, feels real to me. Would be easy to see if they were acting. I don't see why we have to be "somber" after working hard and harvesting an animal. I always get EXCITED. Pretty natural reaction, respect is always there.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:01 AM

Cody has done very well over the years and produced some quality footage. If you have ever tried to film or self film you know how tough it is to catch it all.

I enjoyed L2Hunt for a long time, but the last shaw of him bawling his eyes out , im like really , is this what your trying to capture all the emotion ?? Overboard !

Now all those who follow him and Kelsey i expect you to cry now to okay, cause were following the celebrities and want to be like them right...lol

In the field with regular non filmed hunts i think theres a lot of F Ya going on after the shot.. Thats realistic.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:57 AM

We have seen him in his pimped out L2H truck, during the early 300 hunt. He wouldn't even stop to give us a hand loading up a bull, just drives around like he's King **** of Turd mountain. His success is every bit about who he knows and not so much what he knows.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:59 AM
Banned

Some would complain if their ice cream was cold... There was a time not too long ago where outdoor content was near impossible to view unless it was formatted on tape or DVD.

Be thankful it is available and you have the option to change the channel to something more suiting your needs.

Jim
Old 01-25-2021, 10:06 AM

Exactly you can change the channel or cancel the show which I did

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2021, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
And every guide is one of the top moose callers on the planet lol.
All that though I don't mind his show. There are far worse
Well, ONE of them is.....lolololololol

The rest are just lucky!!!! Hahahaha
Old 01-25-2021, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post

I think I could kill some pretty good moose in the Yukon ,I've hunted Northern Alberta for 20 years as a moose guide in one of the most populated hunting areas in Canada. And did pretty well over 50% I think the bigger challenges are the country up there ,not being able to call Moose that have never seen people.

Old 01-25-2021, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
I think I could kill some pretty good moose in the Yukon ,I've hunted Northern Alberta for 20 years as a moose guide in one of the most populated hunting areas in Canada. And did pretty well over 50% I think the bigger challenges are the country up there ,not being able to call Moose that have never seen people.

Very true! I find it a bit harder in northern Alberta too. Thats exactly why I practice there. Makes calling in Yukon a whole lot easier.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Very true! I find it a bit harder in northern Alberta too. Thats exactly why I practice there. Makes calling in Yukon a whole lot easier.
Too old for that stuff now but I almost made it up with Jim years ago

Old 01-25-2021, 11:56 AM

One of my regrets is not guiding moose in the Yukon

Old 01-25-2021, 12:11 PM

Quote:

Well okay, he has one of them. lol
I was wondering if you'd comment
Old 01-25-2021, 12:20 PM

I’m don’t watch the show and am not a fan of hunting shows in general but to those who are so critical of JS and CR I ask; what have you done to further the image and relevancy of hunters on the landscape? Through the proceeds of his celebrity JS has created a museum dedicated to exposing people from all walks of life to wildlife, hunting, conservation and culture. He has also used his celebrity to challenge the Federal gun ban. CR has documented his rise from a camera man to the host of his own show and inspired tones of people to pick up a camera and start documenting their own hunting adventures. Not only that but he has done it while living a “normal life” with farm responsibilities, marriage, kids etc. He makes the dream of hunting/family balance seem in reach to the “average Joe”. Just my thoughts...
Old 01-25-2021, 12:25 PM

I use to 'tolorate' him but hate that bloody commercial with him yelling. It makes my ears hurt and I literally mute or change the channel every time it comes on.
Michael
Old 01-25-2021, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post

This is pretty much exactly how I feel, too. I think Cody’s filming and editing are the best in the industry, but watching and killing animals over a bait pile is tiring and boring. Spot and stalk mule deer hunts, however, are exciting and makes me feel like I’m there with him in the field. Maybe it’s because I enjoy doing those so much myself...I don’t know...

Also, as others have said, I could do without the back slaps and hollering after taking an animal. A handshake or fist bump is warranted, but not acting like a 10 year old that just got a PlayStation for Christmas.
Old 01-25-2021, 02:05 PM

With my package I have wildtv and sportsmans. Every few days I'll rip through the schedule to see what I might like to record that's coming up. Then it's a much more enjoyable experience fforwding thru commercials and some of the innate conversations by the host. I enjoy the scenery of different areas of Canada and the world that I will never get to. Also like to see the travel to get to these destinations and the lodging and accommodations. And yes some of the hosts are over the top but there sure is a lot of variety with most of them amateurs with little polish which seems more authentic. From Shockey to Robbins to the Beasley brothers to Helgie to the Quebecers on Born to Hunt and on , if I don't like it...delete.

Favourites:
Shockey uncharted
Big Coast
Most of the Prairie Pursuit
The Flush mostly to see good dogs working
SFOTF
Old 01-25-2021, 02:15 PM

Default ...always name dropping sponsors in regular conversation

... they lost me years ago when Cody would say something like "I put my vortex rangefinder on him, and then turned it over to my Hoyt bow to send a carbon express....

most of the stuff out there is just feature length advertising. He also does the ubiquitous cut-to-ad right before the shot and then you get to see the 20 seconds leading up to it twice. Time is a commodity I won't waste on stuff like that.