Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2021, 09:00 AM

Default Log home insurance

Are these substantially more to insure? My in-laws live in one have have had their insurance got up by 30% a year. From my understanding these are much more flame resistant. A pile of 2x4’s would surely burn down much faster than a pile of whole logs. Are there some instance companies that are better for these types of dwellings? They live in a rural area, so it’s a volunteer fire department area.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2021, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linc View Post
Are these substantially more to insure? My in-laws live in one have have had their insurance got up by 30% a year. From my understanding these are much more flame resistant. A pile of 2x4’s would surely burn down much faster than a pile of whole logs. Are there some instance companies that are better for these types of dwellings? They live in a rural area, so it’s a volunteer fire department area.

Thanks

If you are more than 10 miles from a Fire Station, and if you have no Hydrant service and the Fire Department doesn't have a super tanker rating you are going to pay through the nose for any type of Fire insurance on any kind of house. We live in a conventional constructed home on an acreage and after a few years of regular increases decided to look at options. By shopping around 2 years ago we got better coverage, that included overland water, for just over half what we were paying. Suggest your friends call Shawna O'neil at Drayden Insurance in St Albert to get a competitive quote. She knows rural insurance very well.

Last edited by Dean2; 01-23-2021 at 09:30 AM.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:38 AM

Log and timber framed homes are more fire resistant but they charge you 30-40% more for insurance as the cost to rebuild is 30-40% more than a stick built home. Thats why.
It sucks as i am building a timber frame right now.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:55 AM

When we moved into ours our insurance went from 900/yr to 2800/yr two years later we renewed with TD for 1450/yr. Hot tub/pool/cistern can get you a bit of a break if you live outside the fire department range.
Old 01-23-2021, 12:52 PM

Thumbs up . . . This 👇

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post

If you are more than 10 miles from a Fire Station, and if you have no Hydrant service and the Fire Department doesn't have a super tanker rating you are going to pay through the nose for any type of Fire insurance on any kind of house. We live in a conventional constructed home on an acreage and after a few years of regular increases decided to look at options. By shopping around 2 years ago we got better coverage, that included overland water, for just over half what we were paying. Suggest your friends call Shawna O'neil at Drayden Insurance in St Albert to get a competitive quote. She knows rural insurance very well.

What Dean said 👆 ... Shop Around ❗

Selkirk
Old 01-23-2021, 05:35 PM

Our insurance was cheaper due to our dugout being 100% accessible all year round but we have a rider for people drowning so....
Old 01-23-2021, 10:21 PM

I looked at a log home that had a water leak and the logs in that area soaked up water and popped out of position. Water damage claims would also be much higher I would think.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:52 AM

We’ve owned one for 8 years now, and shop around yearly as the rates are insane. I don’t have any good advise for ya, last time I checked around for rates I had 2 agencies say “log home? sorry” and hang up.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:19 PM

Default Thanks.

Thanks for the opinions folks. My dream is to build My own one day. So good to know opinions form those with experience.