Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-23-2021, 11:29 PM

Default Poirier KO’s Macgregor

Nice to see Poirier finish the yappy one. Couldn’t happen to a better guy.
Chandler also got a great win. The future looks pretty exciting for the lightweight division even if Kabib stays retired.
Old 01-24-2021, 01:14 AM

Poirier ate some big shots as expected and he landed some of his own in the first round but clearly MacG outstruck him in the first , Poirier landed some good calf kicks also . Round 2 - Conor started well and in fact was winning the round up to the last 20 seconds of the fight when Poirier caught MacG with a right hand and poured on the aggression landing some hard shots stunning and then KOing MacG . The big difference from the first fight is that Poirier could take punches better and all the low calf kicks really took a toll . Make no mistake though Poirier took a lot of hard shots , more than MacG took . I'd like to see fight stats , It seemed that MacG landed close to double the head shots what Poirier landed . Great win by the durable all round complete Poirier
Old 01-24-2021, 02:32 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-24-2021, 07:07 AM

Ive been ordering these pay per-view’s since back in 93. When we order these it’s always a gamble whether the entertainment value will be there and it will be worth the money or not. With the main going to the second round and the co main only having one round, I’m glad I didn’t add the 69.99 to my cable bill. These events during this Covid fiasco just don’t have the same electricity or the excitement as when it’s packed with fans. The other fights under the co main event didn’t have any notables to interest me at all as well.

I do get that some people would gladly put down 500.00 to see Connor get flatlined no matter what round though! Lol

Last edited by 1899b; 01-24-2021 at 07:19 AM.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrib View Post
I'd like to see fight stats
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vm1a7V4yYHo
Old 01-24-2021, 12:51 PM

Love to see the big mouth lose. I did think MG would be tough to beat . My 17 year old lost 20 bucks to the old man!!!!!!!
Old 01-24-2021, 01:03 PM

MacGregor looked sharper and seemed to be more in control of when the engagements and seemed able to touch him when he needed to. Certainly in the first round.

Poirer may have been a step behind, but he was able to remain competitive. 2nd round you could see he was switching, changing tempo, and working counter strikes throwing MacGregor's timing off and, at one such dip, he cracked him hard enough for a slight stun and went in hard for the kill and got it done.

Good fight.

At this level, it takes one mistake, one missed attack and you get countered, cracked and finished.

Poirier definitely lit up his leg the whole fight - which never "looks as good" as a touch to the head (which is what MacG was doing to him) but the low calf kicks were hard. McG limped off pretty good.

Stats were pretty even for overall significant strikes.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:37 PM

Like Poirer, the other guy not at all. As 1899 says, haven't paid to watch in years. Dana owes Calgary.
Old 01-25-2021, 09:48 AM

Mcgregor definitely outboxed Dustin. He just got out kickboxed LOL

Also Mcgregor doesn't trash talk like he did anymore since he is a family man. He is too humble for the fight game. His trash talk used to break people mentally. They would throw fist with anger and emotion without thinking.

If he is going to stay humble then he wont be champ again.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-26-2021, 03:38 AM

I saw the fight stats and they were close in the first but Poirier edged him , though I think it was very clear that Conor did more damage . In the second it was Dustin that the stats show really having a clear advantage in punches landed though it felt that Conor was landing the cleaner shots but it really came down to the last 18 seconds of the fight , when Dustin jumped on a damaged Conor finishing him . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSNn6bbbTrw