Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-22-2021, 03:27 PM

Post 300 RUM Custom Build Help

Hello everyone,

I am looking into building a custom 300 RUM. However, I am not really familiar with how the different parts fit together ex. different actions ..

I want to be able to use this for long range shooting, as well as all my hunting if possible. I haven't really thought about weight, but it would be great to have a heavy barrel, cheek rest and muzzle break, and bipod.

Prior to this gun I have had a .270 win and 7mm, so I am deciding to step it up again.

I am familiar with reloading for a .270 and became quite accurate with my home loads. So I assume I will be fine with the RUM, but any additional reloading tips (powders, bullet loads, weights, specifics...) would be greatly appreciated as well.

Basically I get very confused figuring out what part fits with what. If anyone could put it all into layman's terms for me that would be great lol. Ex. from a quick google search I believe the RUM runs a magnum action, but I have yet to find one.

Places I have looked / What I know:

http://wildcatcomposites.com/productinfo.html - Heard about them, but I am unsure what version would fit a 300 RUM, or how their system works their.

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ - Relatively cheaper, but weight might be an issue with wood? Open to opinions. Also under "short action or long action" RUM is not on there?

When it comes to say trigger, action, barrel, bipod, muzzle break, scope(let me know what else I missed)I have no clue about brands, features, what fits with what. It seems like a big step, but I want to learn!

Scope: Thinking about vortex second plane, gen 2, MIL, $1500 ish? Mainly for lifetime warranty.

More websites that I've heard about:

https://www.hirschprecision.com/inde...ain_page=index
https://redhawkrifles.com/

What would be average price tiers for builds like this? Is fluting worth it on a heavy barrel/ does it affect anything? Other .308 bullets? Looking for any help you can offer.

Thanks for your time and help everyone, looking forward to hearing more.
Old 01-22-2021, 03:50 PM

This is my custom 300RUM. It’s entirely more information than I care to type. Checks off a lot the boxes on your want list. If you’d like to chat, just PM me with your number. I’m happy to share what I know about a build such as you’ve described.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-22-2021, 04:11 PM
Banned

What’s your budget?
Are you sold on the 300 rum or looking for a good 30 cal?
The current trend is towards the 300 prc or the 300 Norma improved
Old 01-22-2021, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
What’s your budget?
Are you sold on the 300 rum or looking for a good 30 cal?
The current trend is towards the 300 prc or the 300 Norma improved
The availability of those that caliber holds me back, and the Rum I know always has the power.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backacha View Post
The availability of those that caliber holds me back, and the Rum I know always has the power.
If you want to do volume shooting, I wouldn’t recommend anything RUM. Lots of noise and recoil. Seriously overbore. Don’t expect much for barrel life. Relatively speaking of course. They are powder hogs. I get 81 rounds per lb of propellant. Brass is expensive. That being said, I really do like the cartridge and it is a performer. I look at it like a muscle car. I’m only going to be able to pin it a finite number of times before something needs replacing with new(barrel) and then I start all over again until the next time.

Give a look to other cartridges before you go forward. You may find a better balance in what you’re after.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:32 PM

Plus if you decide to sell it 300rum I think would be harder to sell
Old 01-22-2021, 06:23 PM
Banned

I think between a rum Norma and prc
The rum is the hardest to source brass for

Your not going to be shooting factory ammo out of your custom if your expecting any kind of performance and accuracy
Old 01-22-2021, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
I think between a rum Norma and prc
The rum is the hardest to source brass for

Your not going to be shooting factory ammo out of your custom if your expecting any kind of performance and accuracy
I can be swayed, but I have not seen any 300 prc anywhere I have gone, and I know its very limited to hornady no? The Norma I am not too familiar with, but all the battles on the internet make it impossible to truly decide.
Old 01-22-2021, 11:14 PM

Lets look at what you have and what you need to get.
Haves
A magnum action from your 7RM if you want to use it
the scope and rings to get you shooting
Needs
barrel should be at least 28 inches and have a 1 in 8 twist
likely a new stock although could use the one you have
dies
210 grain or heavier 30 cal bullets VLD styled. Very ow Drag.
slow burning powder like Retumbo,N570 nothing with a burn rate much higher than H1000.
a good bipod not a cheap flimsy one.
magnum rifle primers
maybe an after market trigger
20 MOA rail and sturdy rings to fit what ever scope you choose.
I forgot to ask and only assumed your 7mm is a Remington. What make is your 7mm. I hope this helps some
Old 01-22-2021, 11:58 PM

[QUOTE=Big Lou;4315798]

Nice Rifle -Scope Combo RJ
Old 01-23-2021, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillG View Post
Lets look at what you have and what you need to get.
Haves
A magnum action from your 7RM if you want to use it
the scope and rings to get you shooting
Needs
barrel should be at least 28 inches and have a 1 in 8 twist
likely a new stock although could use the one you have
dies
210 grain or heavier 30 cal bullets VLD styled. Very ow Drag.
slow burning powder like Retumbo,N570 nothing with a burn rate much higher than H1000.
a good bipod not a cheap flimsy one.
magnum rifle primers
maybe an after market trigger
20 MOA rail and sturdy rings to fit what ever scope you choose.
I forgot to ask and only assumed your 7mm is a Remington. What make is your 7mm. I hope this helps some
You're talking rebuilding my current 7mm Remington correct? That's a really good idea if that's what you mean. Do you have any suggestions on where to get good quality parts like you were suggesting?
Old 01-23-2021, 08:29 AM

What make and model rifle is your 7mm mag?
Old 01-23-2021, 09:47 AM

Bachacha for a trigger I would go Timney M700 triggers are good price and easy to install. As for a stock there are so many but Mcmillan seem popular and many varities. Barrels are like stocks so many to choose from. I have heard good things about Drury barrels here in Alberta. I may have spelled that name wrong. You mentioned Vortek scopes I have been thinking of the Razor HD LHT 3-15x50 they seem like a good scope and decent price too. For rails and rings look at steel there are many kinds just don't go as cheap as you can you want this part solid. Not sure about a gun smith to put it all together best to ask others.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:20 AM

It’s jury barrels from red deer.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:33 PM

Thank you 1886 I thought that was the name just wasn't totally sure.
Old 01-23-2021, 07:45 PM
Banned

I think the op needs to do a lot more research on the topic here
Old 01-23-2021, 08:50 PM

I’ve just started my first custom and it’s a lot to figure out trying to make it just right.

First off, just because the 300 rum is big and fast doesn’t mean it’s the best. If you plan is to use it a long range, spend the money learning to shoot something at distances first such as a 6.5cm which almost matches a 300 win mag with everything except energy.

I would venture to say you are a new shooter with limited knowledge, based on your question and this cartridge of choice.

We all start somewhere and this is my advice. Reconsider your cartridge and makes a Facebook account. Flip through Alamo precision rifles. They have 100s of itemized builds. All components and finished weights listed.
Old 01-24-2021, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry D View Post
I’ve just started my first custom and it’s a lot to figure out trying to make it just right.

First off, just because the 300 rum is big and fast doesn’t mean it’s the best. If you plan is to use it a long range, spend the money learning to shoot something at distances first such as a 6.5cm which almost matches a 300 win mag with everything except energy.

I would venture to say you are a new shooter with limited knowledge, based on your question and this cartridge of choice.

We all start somewhere and this is my advice. Reconsider your cartridge and makes a Facebook account. Flip through Alamo precision rifles. They have 100s of itemized builds. All components and finished weights listed.
It may not be the best overall, but I guess my way of thinking about it is that the RUM can always go the distance, even for hunting (looking for evidence otherwise). I get the take it in steps part, but I don't want to go that route basically. What calibers in this category stack up to the RUM for you? And heck if you say 6.5cm I'd reconsider if I had solid research.

I'm not really a beginner shooter, I have been out countless times, just don't shoot as much ammo as I would like. I am a beginner in the sense that I need to learn a lot more about guns in general I would say. I am familiar with basic home loading for my .270 win, and had good results there(only ever done 2 -50 round batches).

Thanks for the tip on Alamo Precision Rifles, I will check them out.

And yes I need more knowledge on the topic.. but there's no easy place to find it I have found, so I am here now.
Old 01-24-2021, 05:27 AM

Yes, to reload the the standards that the 300 rum needs to utilize to it’s potential for accuracy and range, you be upgrading all your stuff over time. Purchase some books on long range shooting, precision reloading.

The costs involved with learning to shoot with a 300 rum makes no sense. You’ll be burning out barrels and spending huge costs on ammo and it will be loud and lots of recoil even with a muzzle break. It just doesn’t make sense. Seriously. This is the best advice I can give you.

Maybe watch some videos on youtube. A 300 win mag should be enough for long range shooting and hunting if you really need a .30 caliber.

Look up. “What the pros use”. Lots of top end components. You just need to get the right length action. If you really want a custom long range rig, consider the 6.5 prc instead of the rum. Buy a factory rifle for $1500 and your scope and put the extra $4000.00 towards 6 or 6.5mm ammo to start. These 6 and 6.5mm are shooting to 1200 and 1400 yards.

Heck we can even go the other way and maybe more suitable if you already have a .270. Buy fast twist .223 and shoot 69 or 75 grain bullets to 7-800 yards. Keep the rifle for coyotes and it will fill your void on the low end. Tikka, savage, ruger all most likely make suitable models. This will cost you an extra $1500 for a rifle and mounts. Buy your scope now and make some ammo. Some people call these .223 trainer rifles. Hit the range and start to shoot.

Shoot the .223 for a year learning to reload and tune it’s accuracy. Eric cortina has some YouTube videos out to start and then Watch other reloading videos that are recommended. See if loading to that detail level really interests you.

Planning this 300rum build is going to take a year anyways deciding on parts. Colors, stock. Barrel length and contours if you research each piece slowly. Get the .223 tomorrow and start shooting right away. You’ll be miles ahead when the 300rum gets completed and buy then you should really know if you want the 300rum.

Last edited by Jerry D; 01-24-2021 at 05:35 AM.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:51 AM

JerryD makes a good point. Take your 270Win and load up some 145 Hornady ELDXs get a good load and start shooting. Get the scope you want to put on your build and mount it on your 270. Get a Harris pivoting bipod and practice long range. There are all sorts of videos to help you learn long range shooting and even classes you can take.
To me if you want a long range 30 cartrage that has what it takes to kill at long range the 300RUM is the one. They are very accurate. Yes if you shoot it like a 22lr you will burn out your barrel.You just have to know this rifle should be allowed to cool between shots. My 257Bee is the same way a lot of powder for a smaller bullet. One other caliber you could look at is the 338 and I would go RUM or edge.
The 6.5s are great but they are not the energy carrying cartrages of the 300 RUM. The Rum probably shoots flatter in fact. This is your build you need to build what you want not what everbody else wants you to build. As I said before you do not need a fancy stock yet you can make yours work for now. I am planning a 338 RUM build on a Weatherby MK V action. All I have right now is the action,brass and dies oh the rings and rail to. Take your time do it the way you want and enjoy it.
Old 01-24-2021, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Yes, to reload the the standards that the 300 rum needs to utilize to it’s potential for accuracy and range, you be upgrading all your stuff over time. Purchase some books on long range shooting, precision reloading.

The costs involved with learning to shoot with a 300 rum makes no sense. You’ll be burning out barrels and spending huge costs on ammo and it will be loud and lots of recoil even with a muzzle break. It just doesn’t make sense. Seriously. This is the best advice I can give you.

Maybe watch some videos on youtube. A 300 win mag should be enough for long range shooting and hunting if you really need a .30 caliber.

Look up. “What the pros use”. Lots of top end components. You just need to get the right length action. If you really want a custom long range rig, consider the 6.5 prc instead of the rum. Buy a factory rifle for $1500 and your scope and put the extra $4000.00 towards 6 or 6.5mm ammo to start. These 6 and 6.5mm are shooting to 1200 and 1400 yards.

Heck we can even go the other way and maybe more suitable if you already have a .270. Buy fast twist .223 and shoot 69 or 75 grain bullets to 7-800 yards. Keep the rifle for coyotes and it will fill your void on the low end. Tikka, savage, ruger all most likely make suitable models. This will cost you an extra $1500 for a rifle and mounts. Buy your scope now and make some ammo. Some people call these .223 trainer rifles. Hit the range and start to shoot.

Shoot the .223 for a year learning to reload and tune it’s accuracy. Eric cortina has some YouTube videos out to start and then Watch other reloading videos that are recommended. See if loading to that detail level really interests you.

Planning this 300rum build is going to take a year anyways deciding on parts. Colors, stock. Barrel length and contours if you research each piece slowly. Get the .223 tomorrow and start shooting right away. You’ll be miles ahead when the 300rum gets completed and buy then you should really know if you want the 300rum.
Ive got a stainless .223 ruger for plinking actually, always a fun gun (would need a better scope for longer ranges, current one is cheap). Don't wanna spend time reloading the smaller cartridges though.

Overall, I think I am still gonna go the 300 RUM route, and like you said its probably going to take a year, but I'm willing to learn.
Old 01-24-2021, 02:50 PM

Don’t take this the wrong way, My last piece of advice, just from everything you have posted and I’ve read. I honestly feel your trying to run before learning to walk and I am by no means an expert.

The rum is a big big gun and leaves nothing on the table no doubt, go for it if you feel your ready for it.
Old 01-24-2021, 03:11 PM

There’s some good factory 300 rum chambered rifles if you want to try one out without a huge investment. Right now on canadian gunnutz there’s a couple Remington 700 sendero’s for sale and have reloading packages included. If you decide you like it and stick with it then you can upgrade parts over time.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Don’t take this the wrong way, My last piece of advice, just from everything you have posted and I’ve read. I honestly feel your trying to run before learning to walk and I am by no means an expert.

The rum is a big big gun and leaves nothing on the table no doubt, go for it if you feel your ready for it.
That's what I felt when I first read the thread. I have had a 338 RUM, but it wasn't my 3rd rifle. RUMs are beasts my friend. It would be a shame to go through the process and considerable expense to find out you've bitten off too big a chunk of raw red meat.

If you tell us where you live, we will be happy to suggest a great gunsmith who can walk you through the process.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:25 PM

Default How about this OP?

If you’re in the Edmonton area or are willing to travel and meet up at the range, I’ll set you up to shoot my RUM braked, 300Wby Mark V with no brake and my .28 Nosler with the brake and no brake, in a Christensen Ridgeline. The Wby won’t have quite the same recoil as the RUM would be without a brake but comparable.

You’ll get a small but decent sampling of a few larger cartridges across three different rifle weights. It won’t answer all your questions but might help you decide if a larger magnum is something that you still want to devote some time and money into.
Old 01-24-2021, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
If you’re in the Edmonton area or are willing to travel and meet up at the range, I’ll set you up to shoot my RUM braked, 300Wby Mark V with no brake and my .28 Nosler with the brake and no brake, in a Christensen Ridgeline. The Wby won’t have quite the same recoil as the RUM would be without a brake but comparable.

You’ll get a small but decent sampling of a few larger cartridges across three different rifle weights. It won’t answer all your questions but might help you decide if a larger magnum is something that you still want to devote some time and money into.
Way to go. Great offer.
Old 01-24-2021, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby76 View Post
There’s some good factory 300 rum chambered rifles if you want to try one out without a huge investment. Right now on canadian gunnutz there’s a couple Remington 700 sendero’s for sale and have reloading packages included. If you decide you like it and stick with it then you can upgrade parts over time.
Yeah, those sendero's interested me, but for a bit extra I wanna try the custom route I think.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post

Wow, yeah thanks for the the offer. Unfortunately I am in Calgary, and don't have any time as of right now. May take you up on it in the future, if I am still having problems.

Also, are there any ranges outside of calgary? I haven't had much success.
Old 01-25-2021, 10:10 AM

Bachacha I will make you the same offer as BigLou. I am only an hour north of Calgary and have my own range here. I have a friend with with a custom 300RUM you can shoot plus we can arrange other rifles to shoot as well. Right now I have a field where we can stretch shots out to over 1000yds as well. I will send you pm if you are interested.