Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-27-2008, 05:26 PM

Default Block heater

How long do you have to keep the block heater plugged up in your car? Can you plug it 24 hours or over night or it has to be few hours?

Being new in Alberta and seeing such a winter is a little challenge for me. I never used block heater in my life so I have no idea.
--
Old 01-27-2008, 05:41 PM

You can plug them in for about 2 hours, but most people just leave them plugged in untill they want to use the car.
DO NOT forget to unplug it!!
That's where all those cords you see on the road come from.
Also, make sure to grab the plugs only, bolck heater wires are notorious for cracking and breaking.....
Cat
Old 01-27-2008, 05:43 PM

With the weather we're having right now you should leave your vehicle plugged in all night if it is parked outside. Otherwise it won't start in the morning. If it's inside, even if the building is not heated, you likely wouldn't have to plug it in at all if your battery is strong. If mine was outside and not plugged in, I'd want to start it up and run it a while every 4 hours or so in this weather.

My wife and I are leaving for Arizona in a few days and it's looking better all the time.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:56 PM

Buy a timer and set it to come one 2 to 3 hours before planned start up. All the block heater does is heat the coolent in the engine block making the oil in turn stay more fluid. Easier cranking and quicker warm up once running.

2 to 3 hours is all the heating time your block needs, any more and your simply throwing good money after bad.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-27-2008, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270WIN View Post
With the weather we're having right now you should leave your vehicle plugged in all night if it is parked outside. Otherwise it won't start in the morning. If it's inside, even if the building is not heated, you likely wouldn't have to plug it in at all if your battery is strong. If mine was outside and not plugged in, I'd want to start it up and run it a while every 4 hours or so in this weather.

My wife and I are leaving for Arizona in a few days and it's looking better all the time.
Some vehicles will start at -40c with no problems.
My '01 Ford will, I never plug it in....
Cat
Old 01-27-2008, 06:05 PM

I use a timer and plug it in every nite, just in case. About 3 hours, its on from about 4 till 7 a.m.

Wher are you from and welcome to Alberta ?
Old 01-27-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
I use a timer and plug it in every nite, just in case. About 3 hours, its on from about 4 till 7 a.m.

Wher are you from and welcome to Alberta ?
Since my wife if due in 2 weeks, I don't want to take any chances although I have 2007 Toyota Rav4.

I moved here from North Carolina and this is my first winter here in Alberta.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:40 PM

Winter in Alberta must be a shocker for a tar heel !!

And tonite would be a good nite to plug the Rav in.....temp is supposed to drop seriously !!
Old 01-27-2008, 06:54 PM

Is it hard on the engine to start it in this weather (-40's) if it hasn't been plugged in. Will not the fluids/oil be so thick and heavy that they don't circulate properly for a short time?
Just wondering.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:58 PM
Banned

Default always plug her in

It's a good idea to plug in and warm up your block a couple or few hours before starting. By keeping the oil warm, there will be less damage to the block upon initial startup. So...if you plan on keeping that engine for a long time it's a good idea to let the block heater do its thing for at least a couple hours before starting if the weather is colder than say 15 or 20 below celsius.

PS. It's a good idea to listen for the hissing about 10seconds after plugging in to make sure the block heater is actually working.

Welcome to Alberta.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:59 PM

Its quite hard on an engine to start it in the extreme cold without being plugged in.2 hours would be a minimum for the very smallest engine.6 hours+ for bigger engines and diesels.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:59 PM

Another idea if you have no garage is go to synthetic oil. Your service manager can advise you. At the price of oil nowadays synthetic is almost as cheap and I have personnally gone this route for the past few years. I use Mobil 1 but a type called Royale Purple is highly touted. Welcome to what is just starting to be the makings of a tough few days.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:07 PM
stubblejumper

Quote:
Another idea if you have no garage is go to synthetic oil. Your service manager can advise you. At the price of oil nowadays synthetic is almost as cheap and I have personnally gone this route for the past few years. I use Mobil 1 but a type called Royale Purple is highly touted. Welcome to what is just starting to be the makings of a tough few days.
AMS oil is highly rated and is cheaper than either mobil 1 or royal purple.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:08 PM

I use a 0-40 synthetic oil all yr round, In both my car (gas) and truck (Diesel), and then I use a timer so that it is pluged in for a few hours too. I'd say 3 to 4 hours should be good for ya. You can get timers real cheap think I paid 10 or 12 bucks for mine and it works great.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:55 PM

I see most has been covered....but I heard (I've yet to read my manual on my 07 diesel) that if you start them below a certian temp without being pluged in, it voids your engine warrenty.

However, it may be a rumor ? A call to a dealer may shed light on this...
Old 01-27-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shekaree View Post
Since my wife if due in 2 weeks, I don't want to take any chances although I have 2007 Toyota Rav4.

I moved here from North Carolina and this is my first winter here in Alberta.
Congrats man! Just plug it in 'cause with Mrs Shekaree due in 2 weeks means that it could happen at any moment. Be ready. My buddy just had a baby boy last weekend, but he came 7 weeks early. Everything worked out and baby is fine, but you just never know. A vehical not starting in the cold is something you don't need when it's 'go time'!

Good luck, keep us updated, and I for one, demand pics!

Tree
Old 01-27-2008, 09:57 PM

We put timer on our tractor 4hrs usually good to get it running in this weather but oil is still very thick as block heater doesnt heat any oil in the oil pan.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:44 AM

Well I forgot to plug mine in last night. So we'll see how quick the block heater gets things warmed up enough to start. Sure wouldn't start this morning. -50 with the wind chill
Old 01-28-2008, 07:50 AM

FWIW wind chill only affect us living things that produce heat. Windchill is the cooling effect upon a self warming surface(skin), it plays no part in a engine block.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-28-2008, 08:30 AM

Default plugging in

true about the wind chill. If the engine is warm the wind will transfer the heat out of it faster. Once it's at the ambient temp it can't get any colder than that.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:03 AM

Well, I forgot to plug my F150 in last night and it went after two trys. A heavy duty battery makes a huge difference.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:07 AM

That's true about wind chill being insignificant other than to cool down a warm engine faster - only down to the same temp as if there were no wind. HOWEVER - always struck me as odd that if my car is in my unheated garage at the same temp as it is outside it'll start, if it's outside it won't.
0-30 oil all year round in the truck - huge difference in startup racket and oil pressure is immediate. I plug in at anything under -10 on a 2 hour timer, 4 hours under -30, go to Mexico under -40!
Old 01-28-2008, 12:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well, I forgot to plug my F150 in last night and it went after two trys. A heavy duty battery makes a huge difference.
Lots of vehicles will start without plugging them in in this cold weather. The only thing is, you do your engine seals no good when you do this. Very very hard on them.

Last edited by Win94; 01-28-2008 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-28-2008, 01:45 PM

Default -45

Its a balmy -45 out and the new ford is dead, time to plug it in, afaraid to start the new chev
Old 01-28-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuc View Post
and the other very important thing is the condition of your battery. A plugged in vehicle with a 10 year old battery doesn't stand much of a chance.

Unless it is a standard and you can jump start it down a hill or something.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:43 PM

The biggest problem with weather this cold is your oil getting so cold and very thick that your engine has a hard time starting.
What a block heater is, is and element that plugs into your the bottom of your block and heats your coolant from the bottom when the coolant gets warm it moves up through your block therefore warming your oil making your engine easier to start, and not overworking your battery. As mentioned the condition of the battery is important as it wont proform aswell in cold weather for as long. So if you have a battery on its last leg then chances are it aint starting with a block heater or not......however you might get lucky.

Oh yeah and to somewhat answer your question the heating element is a block heater wont work too quick and if your veichle has been froze in this weather without a plug in it will take a few hours to see a difference probly a good 8 to get the true benefit.

Cheers
Mike