Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-10-2011, 11:23 PM

Default Edit a PDF File

Trying to update some S.O.P's at work. Dont want to retyp all the ones that are not in the computer. Can I scan and email myself a PDF file and start to copy past and change text in it? I hate this crap PLEASE HELP !!!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=15h...ec&usp=sharing
Old 06-10-2011, 11:28 PM

Probably easiest just to copy and paste everything from the PDF into a new word document, then just change your fonts and whatever else.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1 View Post
Trying to update some S.O.P's at work. Dont want to retyp all the ones that are not in the computer. Can I scan and email myself a PDF file and start to copy past and change text in it? I hate this crap PLEASE HELP !!!
As far as I know you need to have a copy of Acrobat Standard or Acrobat Pro to edit a PDF file.

This link will tell you what the difference between each is:
http://www.adobe.com/products/acroba...ing-guide.html

The price is around $150-$200.

I heard that you can download programs for free on the internet if you are so inclined
Old 06-11-2011, 06:14 AM

Default pdf

Quote:
You cannot edit a PDF file without having access to the full version of the Adobe software, you will not be able to do it using Acrobat Reader (the free download).
Old 06-11-2011, 07:31 AM

Ya I am stuck retyping all of them. That sucks BIGTIME. But thanx for the reply guys.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:02 AM

Default No problem to do it

Jeff
Don't do so much typing. Just high light and copy and pasted from your document and then put it into word. Do your new design and then click save as and publish, back to a pdf file. I just finished my new training manuals for our project and used some of the manufacturer info and did it that way to add their info to mine. Saved me a bunch of time as well. I am not sure which version of Word you have but I am using Office 2007 and it works without a hitch.
If you have issues give me a shout and I can walk you through it.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:04 AM

By the sounds of it you are scanning hard copy originals. Am I right?
In this case, your only option is OCR scanning.
If you feel comfortable sending me a scanned PDF I'll see what I can do to help you out.
duramaximos@hotmail.com
Old 06-11-2011, 12:33 PM

I use PDF Converter by Nuance Software to do this all the time. Costs about 50$ online or about $60 at Staples and other stores. It is worth every penny it cost.

It can quickly convert pdf files to word or other formats in a matter of seconds or you can scan in a document as a pdf then convert it quickly.
It is also great at taking multiple pdf documents and combining them into just 1 single document.

http://shop.nuance.com/store/nuanceu...ge.Nuance-PDF8
Old 06-11-2011, 12:43 PM

That's pretty good value if it has OCR built in.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
By the sounds of it you are scanning hard copy originals. Am I right?
In this case, your only option is OCR scanning.
If you feel comfortable sending me a scanned PDF I'll see what I can do to help you out.
duramaximos@hotmail.com
Yes that's right. I think I will just have the boss buy the program we need and get it overwith. Thanks for all the help

Old 06-11-2011, 05:34 PM

Or just save rename the file ending with a .txt extension and then just return it to pdf when finished,
Old 06-11-2011, 05:35 PM

If its scanned then no
Old 06-11-2011, 05:45 PM

If you running windows 7 create a new fOlder on your desktop, then open it gO into the tools bar, open the folder options and go into the view tab, and remove the check from hide known file extensions,
Add your pdf file to the folder, and right click on it and go to rename, delete the .pdf or whatever, and put .txt and click elswhere on the folder, it will change the file to a text document, then open it with microsoft word, or another txt program, and make whatever changes, then change the file extension back,
If your running another operating system you should be able to go into the pdf file and save as, filename.txt and it should save it as a txt document
Old 06-11-2011, 06:57 PM

Ya I have tried everything suggested and it dont work I just cant change a scanned copy in anyway with out a program I guess. That is that its typing time. A lot of typing time......

Old 06-11-2011, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Ya I have tried everything suggested and it dont work I just cant change a scanned copy in anyway with out a program I guess. That is that its typing time. A lot of typing time......
Correct. You need a program that will OCR the text.
Old 06-12-2011, 12:55 AM
Banned

I use the Nuance PDF converter program as well, and it does allow you to edit pdf documents, however it is a pit of a slow process. But for $60 it does what I need it to do, and is less than half of the price of the cheapest adobe program.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
If you running windows 7 create a new fOlder on your desktop, then open it gO into the tools bar, open the folder options and go into the view tab, and remove the check from hide known file extensions,
Add your pdf file to the folder, and right click on it and go to rename, delete the .pdf or whatever, and put .txt and click elswhere on the folder, it will change the file to a text document, then open it with microsoft word, or another txt program, and make whatever changes, then change the file extension back,
If your running another operating system you should be able to go into the pdf file and save as, filename.txt and it should save it as a txt document
This is completely wrong, the name of a file does not change it's structure. If you try and open a pdf file as an ascii text file it will fail.