Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-10-2011, 11:06 PM

Default Performance 6HP 4 stroke vs a 9.9 2 stroke?

The dealer cant answer my question so I was hoping someone here might have an idea

I have a 10Ft Zodiac with an older 9.9 2 stroke that gets on plain very easily
I want to get to a smaller 6HP 4 stroke 55lbs outboard because the 9.9 100lbs is a backbreaker hanging it on and off the transom all the time(I usually end up with a sore back every time I get back from fishing)
Anyway what kind of performance difference will I see compared to the 9.9
I realize with the 6HP I not going to be a speed demon but I dont want to be just chugging along either

Thank You
Old 06-10-2011, 11:09 PM

About 33%......go to the gym

tm
Old 06-10-2011, 11:11 PM

I personally prefer the smaller 2 stroke outboards. but if i was going with a bigger motor i think i would go with the larger 4 stroke. but weight to weight i think the 2 stroke 9.9 would be lighter than the 6hp four stroke wouldnt it be ?
Old 06-10-2011, 11:17 PM

The 9.9 is 100lbs as the 6Hp 4 stroke is only 55lbs

Tundra:
Hanging a 100lb dead weight over the back of a boat with your arms fully extended is hard on any ones back regardless if you go to the gym or not
Old 06-10-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
About 33%......go to the gym

tm
I'm drunk dude.......just funnin' with ya

tm
Old 06-10-2011, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
I'm drunk dude.......just funnin' with ya

tm
Old 06-10-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
Let me guess your drunk too

Remind me no to post anything on a Friday night when the rednecks are swilling booze
Old 06-10-2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmania View Post
Let me guess your drunk too

Remind me no to post anything on a Friday night when the rednecks are swilling booze
Nooooooooooo. Why are you picking a fight with me?
Old 06-10-2011, 11:41 PM

Not pickin a fight just funnin
Sorry man
Old 06-10-2011, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmania View Post
Not pickin a fight just funnin
sorry man
No worries. I know the new four strokes are heavy and very nice and quiet. I used to work on outboards and many of those older 9.9 motors were closer to 15. they were deliberately underrated for insurance reasons.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmc View Post
I used to work on outboards and many of those older 9.9 motors were closer to 15. they were deliberately underrated for insurance reasons.
Actually, 10HP and larger must be federally registered and alot of lakes used to be restricted to less than 10HP (they use speed restrictions in Canada now) so those are the main reasons that 9.9 is popular (likely an insurance issue too).

My friend has a 2010 9.9HP 4 stroke that will not plane his 10' inflatable with 2 people in it. I think you will be disappointed with a 6HP, is there any way you could test drive? I just bought a 20HP for my 12' but haven't getten it wet yet.

Your 2 stroke at 100 lbs is heavy. A new 4 stroke 9.9 is 97lbs (merc). I would guess you have a few extra horses in the package regardless of what the sticker says.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:11 AM

When the 4 stroke 9.9 Hondas first came out, I ws down at the landing with my 12' fiberglass and 20 horse Johnson ( ALWAYS had at least one Johnson 20 !) and met my buddy's wife who was about to take off in their 14' aluminum with a 9.9 Honda on the back.
First thing I noticed was how quiet it was, then she told me what they were burning for fuel and I was impressed - HALF of what I did , at least.
THEN she told me how heavy it was and I puked!!
However, when she fired that thing up and took off , out of the water and even with my 20, I was SUPER impressed!
Still never bought one however, even after all these years.
I have three 2strokes that weigh nothing and the amount I use them, gas is not an issue - they sure are noisy , though!....
Cat
Old 06-12-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billie View Post
Actually, 10HP and larger must be federally registered and alot of lakes used to be restricted to less than 10HP (they use speed restrictions in Canada now) so those are the main reasons that 9.9 is popular (likely an insurance issue too).

My friend has a 2010 9.9HP 4 stroke that will not plane his 10' inflatable with 2 people in it. I think you will be disappointed with a 6HP, is there any way you could test drive? I just bought a 20HP for my 12' but haven't getten it wet yet.

Your 2 stroke at 100 lbs is heavy. A new 4 stroke 9.9 is 97lbs (merc). I would guess you have a few extra horses in the package regardless of what the sticker says.
Now that you remind me I remember that is the reason. Thanks!