Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-10-2011, 02:52 PM
Banned

Default Cold air intake and chip mods

I was wondering if anyone has personal experience with putting cold air intake and chip modifications into trucks? I know they are highly controversial and have read lots elsewhere about them but I really would like to hear from people's first hand experience. Im considering doing it to my 01 silverado 5.3l
Old 06-10-2011, 02:54 PM

Evidently, you have not been paying enough attention to David Suzuki.

I talked to Petra earlier and she suggested a different outcome.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boberama View Post
Evidently, you have not been paying enough attention to David Suzuki.
nope. Why, what is he saying now?
Old 06-10-2011, 03:12 PM

Run them in my dodges helps alot! You also want to do exaust mod too ,more air in means more air out! I run the superchips cortex ans magnaflow exaust with k/n cold air intake! I would say go for it !
Old 06-10-2011, 03:24 PM
Banned

What kind of improvement did you see with fuel consumption?
Power?
Have you driven it through a winter yet? I worry about the effects of the cold air in the winter with extremely cold temps.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:27 PM
Banned

I have heard of a couple guys getting about a 3 or 4mpg improvement with a cold air intake. then another 2.5 or 3 with the chip.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:33 PM

i have ran chips/intakes in 5.9 cummins and 6.0 ford diesels. never any problems with too cold. always ran 4 in turbo back exhaust to go with it. the 5.9 had good power and AWESOME mileage. The ford well.......its a ford. no comment! I have ran the edge chip but ended up going back to the super chips programmers. wasnt impressed with the way the edge made my truck shift.

long as ya drive it half decent then ya should stay outta trouble.
If yer blowing blacks smoke at every light and doing 4 wheel brakes stands and roasting egt's expect trouble
Old 06-10-2011, 03:37 PM

Try searching or posting on THIS forum.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:52 PM

3-4 mpg if you keep it sensible! I just did my wifes new durango and we tow our trailer with it makes a huge difference in the mountains/hills! We did have quite the discussion awhile back about it check the search!
Old 06-10-2011, 03:56 PM

Anyone telling you that they are getting a 3-4 mpg increase with a cai is on crack.

Your best "bang" for the buck for gas engine performance mods will be a "custom tune" hands down.

Search "wester's tune" or "black bear performance" tune. They have been reflashing PCM's for a while and there are tons of threads discussing before and after dyno results.

I had Lyndon at Wester's tune my 05 5.3 gm and would get it done again in a heartbeat. Bonus is, he is here in Alberta.

PM me if u want any more details
Old 06-10-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camshaft View Post
Anyone telling you that they are getting a 3-4 mpg increase with a cai is on crack.

Your best "bang" for the buck for gas engine performance mods will be a "custom tune" hands down.

Search "wester's tune" or "black bear performance" tune. They have been reflashing PCM's for a while and there are tons of threads discussing before and after dyno results.

I had Lyndon at Wester's tune my 05 5.3 gm and would get it done again in a heartbeat. Bonus is, he is here in Alberta.

Not just a CAI but all mods put together exaust/CAI/and programmer! all these mods will enhance dodge 5.7's by 3-4 if you know how to drive! Ihave done 2 of these and stand by my words as I keep very good records for expenses and compared to stock dodges there is a 3-4mpg gain!
Old 06-10-2011, 05:00 PM

i Had cold air exhaust and a throttle body spacer and seena lil better mileage maybe 1 or 2 mpg but definatly notice more more power a lil torquier doesnt shift down as much nothing like a chip on a diesel though but better than stock
Old 06-10-2011, 07:10 PM

best bang for your buck is Bankspower.com. Banks is the leading in research and developement.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camshaft View Post

Yup I agree....
Lots of cases the cai will lower mpg.
Westers is a good place,linden will ask what you want to get and tell you straight up what he can do for you.
I'd use him again