Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-10-2011, 01:55 PM

Default Kelty Backpacks

Hey All

Anyone have any general comments on Kelty packs. Even better have any comments about the exact bag below.

This bag seems like it will be a good fit for my packframe. I took some measurements last night at WSS.

http://www.kelty.com/p-273-cache-hauler-bag-only.aspx

Appreciate any comments you have.

Doodle
Old 06-10-2011, 02:09 PM

I have never been a fan of Kelty packs..they have never fit me right, I do not like their usual shape and lay out and I find their hip belts to be lacking in both comfort and support.

But it all depends on what exactly you want to use it for. Type of trips, duration, expectations etc.

Edit: totally missed you attaching it to an already fitting packframe....ya like Oks says, if the construction quality looks up to snuff then it could work just fine. sorry...

Last edited by TheClash; 06-10-2011 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:17 PM

I've just done mega research and shopping on packs (Ended up with my second Osprey, this time an Aether 70). From what I could gather from the folks that sold them, the Kelty's might not be considered "top of the line". However, with regard to packs, my thought is that they are sort of like rifle stocks. A cheap one that fits you well personally will probably do you better than a top end one that doesn't.

In your case fit really isn't a consideration. So if the stitching and zippers look tough, it fits to your external frame solidly, and it has features you want, have at 'er!
Old 06-10-2011, 02:30 PM

For me as long as the pack fits my backframe I am fine. Even on day trips I always just attach my pack to my packframe. Just more comfortable to me I guess.

This is obviously a bigger pack than one needs for day trips but I would probably use it if I ended up buying the pack.

MIL is always asking what I want for Xmas. This year I will be ready for her.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:27 PM
Banned

Sacs Millet or LaFuma out of France. The bottoms of these packs have a special Taryl waterproof base at the bottom.

Monod Sports in Banff can obtain these packs for you.

Along with Berghaus, Karrimore, and Deuter, they are the creme de la creme of euro packs. They have many little bells and whistles along with very high quality.

The upper end Kelty packs are really good, but they are not as good as they used to be. For example, the stitching is wider, and sometimes does not follow a straight line. I think you are paying a lot for the Kelty name.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:28 PM

I've owned an 80L internal frame Kelty since 1996 and have travelled many months in total with it throughout Japan, Thailand, Malaysia and the Rockies and it still feels like a second skin to me. Better than my MEC and Northface packs IMHO
Old 06-10-2011, 10:48 PM

Used to have a Kelty pack and did alot of airport travelling with it. It definately stood up to the mishandling in the airport. as mentioned before, Packs are kind of personal like a shoe. If it fits you good than its better than some expensive high quality pack that doesnt'. good luck!
Old 06-10-2011, 11:51 PM

I was at the shop a few days ago and a guy was buying one of these packs...
I have it a quick playing with...

It seemed like a good moderate pack to me...