Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-10-2011, 11:17 AM

Default More camping advice please

July 1st weekend looking to take the family out camping in the tent instead of the 31' trailer we usually use.
Criteria- In the mountains, hiking nearby, fishing very nearby, fairly private site. (I dont want my tent touching my neighbors tent) I dont need any amenities.

Banff is an option, but I have never been camping there.
How are the campgrounds at Minnewanka? Or farther up the road like Mosquito or Rampart?

Im in Calgary. but will make the drive.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:11 PM

I am heading there this weekend and I will let you know! Hopefully going to stay at Two Jack Main campsite.
Here's a link to the government page, and you can phone ahead and make reservations at most of the places. It shows which sites have showers and flush toilets, prices, etc
http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/banff/visit/visit9.aspx
Old 06-10-2011, 06:04 PM

Thanks. I've been through that website cross referencing with google maps. I would love to see some pics of the campground if you wouldn't mind.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:18 PM

Banff Natinal park has a lot of nice CC like Johnston canyon and a simpler one I think it is called Protection mountain and they are on the Bowvalley parkway between banff and Lake Louise.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:09 PM
Banned

If you plan to go to any park, go early. You may also be able to preregister online, and that way you will be assured a spot, or you will be stuck camping in the overflow.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post
If you plan to go to any park, go early. You may also be able to preregister online, and that way you will be assured a spot, or you will be stuck camping in the overflow.
X2. Went to Red Lodge PP on a Tues before a long weekend last year and not 1 site available. Ended up driving to a site near Canmore and camped in the overflow. It was parking stalls with barely any grass. Worst camping experience. Booking online isn't a whole lot better. Booked last week for a weekend near the end of August. 1 campground had sites available (had to get full hookups for the new campers). At $50/night plus the gas to get there it makes you wonder if its worth it sometimes.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:13 AM

the trunk road has few people and many lakes and rivers with wild fish in them, lots of hiking and campsites that are far from eachother with very little traffic.its remote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:51 AM

Shaggy, we stayed in the campground at Lake Louise last summer and really enjoyed it. Lot's of trails and right on the river. Good spot for the trailer.

But, since you're wanting to hike/tent/fish, I'd suggest Chester Lake (http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source...wbHv2vyqpw7rAQ) It's one of my favourite places. About a 5 km stroll in. The lake holds Dolly Varden, and there's lots of places to explore with probably not alot of company either. Be bear aware though. Have fun.
Old 06-11-2011, 10:56 AM

another option is beaver flats or paddys flats past elbow falls
the river runs thru beaver flats. some tenting only sites
& allen bill is just down the road for the kids.
don,t like your chances of getting a spot unless you go out early.

orv.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:32 PM

Thanks for the ideas guys. There is no hope of me getting anywhere early. It's more of a pick a direction and hope for an open spot.
I stayed at Burnt Timber last year and it was nice, but being a popular camping weekend I'm not sure of my chances of getting a spot. I figured if I went far enough into Banff I might have a shot at a tenting only site.
Old 06-11-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy View Post
July 1st weekend looking to take the family out camping in the tent instead of the 31' trailer we usually use.
Criteria- In the mountains, hiking nearby, fishing very nearby, fairly private site. (I dont want my tent touching my neighbors tent) I dont need any amenities.

Banff is an option, but I have never been camping there.
How are the campgrounds at Minnewanka? Or farther up the road like Mosquito or Rampart?

Im in Calgary. but will make the drive.
If you are wanting to camp near the town of banff, the two Jack Lakeside is the nicest campground. Some of the tent sites are right along the lake. It is fairly popular and with only about 70 or so sites it fills up fairly fast. Bow valley provincial park is about 20km east of canmore and has some really nice sites along the river as well. lots of hiking around bow valley as well.