Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-28-2011, 11:35 AM

Exclamation .338 bullet questions

lets say i wanted to try my .338 out for deer this year whats a good bullet that isnt going to cause too much damage does anybody know of a site that lists off different types of bullets and what they're characteristics are? seems to be so many differant types of projectiles out there these days it would be nice to do some reasearch on this.
also because im getting into handloading this year

thanx
Old 03-28-2011, 12:26 PM

Accubonds, tsx, ttsx, MRX, gmx, fail safes,etip,partitions trophy bonded bear claws. So long as you avoid shoulder shots and have minum contact with bone In the boiler room the less meat Damage there will be.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:40 PM

also whats the deal with these coated bullets ive seen? i was told once you start shooting them u need to keep shooting them they leave some kinda crap inside your barrel?
Old 03-28-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grouse Assassin View Post
also whats the deal with these coated bullets ive seen? i was told once you start shooting them u need to keep shooting them they leave some kinda crap inside your barrel?
if your reloading... dont worry about it just stay away from them
Old 03-28-2011, 01:17 PM

Barnes 210 gr tsx. From gophers to grizzly bears and everything in between. Moly coated bullets are suppose to reduce friction and fouling in your barrel. The idea is to reduce the amount of cleaning involved.Some say you can increase velocity as well. I shot them for quite a while in one rifle and never noticed a difference in velocity. When you quit shooting them it's a royal pain in the ass to get the moly out of your barrel. Stick to uncoated bullets, Moly is not worth the hassle and is messy to work with.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:41 PM

The challage I always had with my 338 was finding a bullet soft enough to expand enough but not too much to grenade the deer. I found partions too hard though the 210's were better than the 225's. Actually the 338 was put away for a couple of years in favor of a 270 because of meat damage.

This past year because my son graduated up to the 270 I needed to use the 338 again. But this years loads were 225 interbonds, and they were the bullets I was looking for. Good expansion but even when I muff'ed a shot and drilled a small whitetail through both shoulders they were still both gone but the damage was way more controlled a nice neatish 2" hole. A hit like that with 200grain nosler BT's the off leg would have been nearly shot off and I would have lost the front half of the backstrp.
Old 03-28-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetailhntr View Post
Barnes 210 gr tsx. From gophers to grizzly bears and everything in between. Moly coated bullets are suppose to reduce friction and fouling in your barrel. The idea is to reduce the amount of cleaning involved.Some say you can increase velocity as well. I shot them for quite a while in one rifle and never noticed a difference in velocity. When you quit shooting them it's a royal pain in the ass to get the moly out of your barrel. Stick to uncoated bullets, Moly is not worth the hassle and is messy to work with.
just out of curiousity how did you get that stuff outa your barrel repeted cleaning or did you have to use a solivent??
Old 03-28-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
The challage I always had with my 338 was finding a bullet soft enough to expand enough but not too much to grenade the deer. I found partions too hard though the 210's were better than the 225's. Actually the 338 was put away for a couple of years in favor of a 270 because of meat damage.

This past year because my son graduated up to the 270 I needed to use the 338 again. But this years loads were 225 interbonds, and they were the bullets I was looking for. Good expansion but even when I muff'ed a shot and drilled a small whitetail through both shoulders they were still both gone but the damage was way more controlled a nice neatish 2" hole. A hit like that with 200grain nosler BT's the off leg would have been nearly shot off and I would have lost the front half of the backstrp.
i have my .270 for deer as my main gun aswell but its not likely im going to get a draw this year and i know myself pretty good ill wanna let "old painless" outa the bag at some point lol

i was hoping there was a site that listed all differant types of bullets and what they are designed for and what the result is after impact but im not having anyluck
Old 03-28-2011, 04:10 PM
Gone Hunting

[QUOTE=Andrzej;854073]This is exit wound of 225 TTSX out of 338 Win Mag WT Buck at 100y MV 2860
Not much for meat damage with shot in boiler room.

Entry wound,

Exit wound, same WT

[/QUOTE

Andrew

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 03-28-2011, 04:36 PM
sheephunter

[QUOTE=Andrzej;885212]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrzej View Post
This is exit wound of 225 TTSX out of 338 Win Mag WT Buck at 100y MV 2860
Not much for meat damage with shot in boiler room.

[Andrew
That's the same bullet I use and with proper bullet placement, meat damage is no more than with smaller calibres.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:38 PM

yes i remember seeing these pics and also heavily swayed me to buy the .338
now i got it i want to know what to shoot out of it!
my .270 with 130gr soft point handloads is pretty easy on meat havent had one ripped up yet
so ..... no info on differant bullet spec's? GMX,SST,accubond,TSX,Speer, theres endless number of em all claiming to be better than the other.......seems to be on this forum the Barnes seems to be the most popular then accubond?
Old 03-28-2011, 05:01 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
seems to be on this forum the Barnes seems to be the most popular then accubond?
Lots of people moving to mono metal bullets these days for a number of reasons. I'm guessing you'll see lots more of it.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:08 PM

yea apperantly lead isnt good for us.... who knew LOL
Old 03-28-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
lets say i wanted to try my .338 out for deer this year whats a good bullet that isnt going to cause too much damage does anybody know of a site that lists off different types of bullets and what they're characteristics are? seems to be so many differant types of projectiles out there these days it would be nice to do some reasearch on this.
also because im getting into handloading this year

thanx
If you control velocity you'll control expansion. I would go with a TTSX going at around 2800-3000 at the muzzle which would put you into a 185 to a 225. I would go with the 185 personally.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
just out of curiousity how did you get that stuff outa your barrel repeted cleaning or did you have to use a solivent??
I used gunslick foaming bore cleaner. Fill the barrel let it sit for 35 minutes or so then patch it out followed by a thorough scrubbing with a nylon brush. I repeated the process a number of times till the patches came out clean. It took 3 evenings of cleanings to get the bore totally clean.I would never shoot moly bullets again.

Went to an introduction to F-class shooting last spring and everyone of those guys were using moly bullets in their 6mmbr rifles.Henry Remple was coaching us and he said mainly he does to reduce fouling and the need to clean your barrel. Those guys shoot LOTS of rounds per year. Can't see the need for it in a hunting rifle. Did I mention it's really messy to work with.....
Old 03-28-2011, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Lots of people moving to mono metal bullets these days for a number of reasons. I'm guessing you'll see lots more of it.
Whew! Looks like high-performance crossbows came by in the nick of time! What with all the hunters starting to drop like flies from lead poisoning now...

Guess there's going to be a whole new movement toward precision hunt shooting too, so that everybody can make neck and head shots exclusively.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:20 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallCoeff.435 View Post
Whew! Looks like high-performance crossbows came by in the nick of time! What with all the hunters starting to drop like flies from lead poisoning now...

Guess there's going to be a whole new movement toward precision hunt shooting too, so that everybody can make neck and head shots exclusively.
Huh?
Old 03-28-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Huh?
Mono bullets = hula hoops. Until they get the unpredictability of those things ironed out, they're a fad which will remain as a niche market.

Last edited by BallCoeff.435; 03-28-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:42 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Mono bullets = hula hoops. Until they get the unpredictability of those things ironed out, they're a fad which will remain as a niche market.
LOL...okay. Sales figures tell a dramatically different story. Seems virtually all of the major manufacturers are offering these fad bullets now. I'm guessing they are a fad just as the internet is. Things change.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:56 PM

[QUOTE=sheephunter;885250]
Quote:

That's the same bullet I use and with proper bullet placement, meat damage is no more than with smaller calibres.
x2, i use 210gr noslers and damage is minimal depending on shot placement.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:56 PM

Try the federal 225gr.tbbc or225.gr.tsx,there both around 67.00 a box.I wouldnt be to worried about meat damage,with proper shot placement. How about guys using 12 ga. slugs, or alot of guys I know 375hh and only one guy I know a 59 cal. Shot placement.Check out hornadys site also.good luck.
Old 03-28-2011, 09:58 PM

Sorry I meant 50 cal.
Old 03-28-2011, 10:26 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
"What with all the hunters starting to drop like flies from lead poisoning now..."

BC...
Are you still driving on leaded gasoline, are you using lead paint ???? No? it was bad for you ... now we have learned that lead is present in venison from
use of lead bullets(first study conducted 3 years ago or so ).
Lead free bullets are not fad they are here to stay and I am one to use them exclusively for harvesting venison once I've learned the facts.

my 2 cents.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 03-28-2011, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300-510 View Post
Try the federal 225gr.tbbc or225.gr.tsx,there both around 67.00 a box.I wouldnt be to worried about meat damage,with proper shot placement. How about guys using 12 ga. slugs, or alot of guys I know 375hh and only one guy I know a 59 cal. Shot placement.Check out hornadys site also.good luck.
lol a slug isnt moving at 2900fps i know shot placement is everything but we all know things dont always work as planned
Old 03-28-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
"What with all the hunters starting to drop like flies from lead poisoning now..."

BC...
Are you still driving on leaded gasoline, are you using lead paint ???? No? it was bad for you ... now we have learned that lead is present in venison from
use of lead bullets(first study conducted 3 years ago or so ).
Lead free bullets are not fad they are here to stay and I am one to use them exclusively for harvesting venison once I've learned the facts.

my 2 cents.
agreed lead shot was out along time ago this will be the next step i dont think its a fad ether so we should probably get used to shooting lead free rounds i have a feeling it will be law soon.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetailhntr View Post
I used gunslick foaming bore cleaner. Fill the barrel let it sit for 35 minutes or so then patch it out followed by a thorough scrubbing with a nylon brush. I repeated the process a number of times till the patches came out clean. It took 3 evenings of cleanings to get the bore totally clean.I would never shoot moly bullets again.

Went to an introduction to F-class shooting last spring and everyone of those guys were using moly bullets in their 6mmbr rifles.Henry Remple was coaching us and he said mainly he does to reduce fouling and the need to clean your barrel. Those guys shoot LOTS of rounds per year. Can't see the need for it in a hunting rifle. Did I mention it's really messy to work with.....
good to know thanx for posting this incase i run into somebody that has this dilema!