Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-27-2011, 01:38 PM

Default Shooting Technique

Hey Everyone,

While I've been going to different shops and "kicking tires" of new rifles (holding them, inspecting them, etc), I have found that When I shoulder a rifle, I do not get a full field of view in the scope (on rifles that have a scope on them already). Now, I am nearly positive this is because of my poor technique, as I have little experience shooting. I have shot a half dozen rifles, probably three of four shots each, and I spent a day shooting .22's, probably 300 rounds, and I did fairly well with the .22's. But I am wondering what technique you guys use: where you anchor, etc. I have my cheek on the plate, and the butt of the stock right on my shoulder. It fits great, but I just can't get a good view in the scope. Just looking for some feedback, thanks for any responses!

-Jeff.

PS, in regards to my "First Rifle" thread, I have decided (after reading hundreds of reviews) to go with a Savage Edge XP in .30-06, once the funds are resting in my bank account I'll head over to P & D to pick it up Thanks for all of the help in that department!
Old 03-27-2011, 01:43 PM

you have to ajust the scope to your self when you get your rifle loosen the rings and get some one to slide the scope back and forth and keep your head where you want it when you can see thruogh the scope properly tighten the ring up

Last edited by Lonnie; 03-27-2011 at 01:56 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
you have to ajust the scope to your self
There's something I left out of the post. Are scopes adjustable vertically? Will that affect any performance of the gun, ie cycling the bolt? And would I be able to do that kind of thing, or would I have to go to a smith, or would the shop im buying from be able to do that?

Thanks!

-Jeff
Old 03-27-2011, 01:52 PM

Although you haven't shot much, your technique is likely not the problem. You should be able to shoulder the rifle with yor eye's closed, then open your eye and see clearly through the scope both in ring hieght and front - rear placement of the scope. Everyone has a slightly different hold/face so the rifle should be matched to you, scope or iron sights.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:48 PM

fallen 1817 to bad you are to far away or I would help you get started and no scopes are not adjustable vertically but different mount will change height of scope a bit keep trying rifles until you get that one that fits and don't worry to much about caliber fit is what counts. 270win., 308, 7mm-08 30-06 their all in the same class and dead is dead. find some one in Edmonton to help you ask on this forum as thier should be some one able to help you.

Last edited by Lonnie; 03-27-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:40 PM

The best way I know of for checking eye releif and height fit are to put the gun up with one's eyes closed, then open them.
if the eye relief needs to be changed you will not have a full filed of view in the scope, if you have to move back or forth,the scope can be moved.
if you however have to squinch down ( tech term!) your head to see the scope , you may be able to go to a higher ring set.
if you have to lift your head, a lower one is needed and neither is alwys an option.
There are also leather cheek pieces available for the butt stock to raise the comb. These are often used on guns that were designed for irons but have scopes installed like the iron sighted militry rifles....
Cat
Old 03-27-2011, 08:56 PM
Banned

I had the same problem when I bought my first scoped rifle and it WAS my technique! When you shoulder the rifle flop your neck down forward untill your cheek hits the stock and see if that helps. I'm not sure what I was doing before I learned to do that but even though my cheek was making contact with the stock I was holding my head way too far back and no matter how I moved the scope I had trouble seeing through it.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:53 PM

Interesting topic. One which should see a lot more attention.

IMO, the first thing is to get the stock properly adjusted for length of pull (LOP). Most factory stocks come 13 1/2" I'd guess, most people I know have more than that (except for a few ladies). A smith will have to saw off the factory pad, then glue and screw a spacer and Limbsaver to the butt.

Then center the recoil pad on your shoulder, so that neither the top part (heel) or bottom part digs into the shoulder.

Then without scrunching your neck down, or stretching way forward or backwards, the scope should be mounted so that you can see straight through it. (This is one part of getting the NPA -natural point of aim- which is so important in accurate shooting). You will be seeing straight through when there is no black shadow or smudge at any side of the field of view.

Larger objective lenses (from 56mm on up) mounted with a reasonable amount of clearance from a fat barrel should be high enough; for me that's a good height. I don't buy the argument about mounting a scope really 'low' so it's more 'stable'. It's better to keep your neck straight and not stressed. Only if you're mostly prone will the scope be a tad lower.

Then you mount the scope at the proper distance from your eye so that you get the best (largest, clearest) field of view in good daylight (don't confuse that with the focus). In any case you need a minimum of 3 fingers of eye relief from your end of the scope so it doesn't slam into your eyebone.

Then the top of the stock (comb) has to be brought up so that it notches tight underneath your cheekbone, without moving it on your shoulder. (Good trick - the only way I know of to do that is with a spacer or extending the adjustable cam up on the Palma-class stocks).
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/12%20PALMA

That's to always ensure you're always looking though the scope the same way. If the stock is just laying against the side of your cheek, you'll be guessing by feel if you're at the same place you were last time. No good. Nobody can feel that accurately. So you'll be aiming a bit higher or lower (and maybe right to left) every time you shoot without knowing it. The farther the distance the worse it gets.

So, first the LOP, then the scope height, then the eye relief, then the comb height.

Of course there's also a catch. When you get hooked under your cheekbone by the recoil of a medium big bore it's gonna hurt. That's why the Weatherby monte carlo stocks were set up the way the were - to fly away from the cheek on recoil. But they would have to be made high enough to get any sort of good cheek weld. Most I've seen aren't. So dense padding of some kind has to be solidly fixed or manufactured into the rifle stock onto the comb or comb adjustment.

Last edited by BallCoeff.435; 03-27-2011 at 10:00 PM.