Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-25-2011, 11:39 AM

Default Toughest 6mm Bullet out there, your 0.2 Cents.

I have a tuned 100 grain Sierra Game King load (touching repetaed groups) for my 243W and have already taken three deer with it, but would like to use a "tougher" bullet for this caliber as my wife is due for a Cow elk draw this year. Tried the Barnes, both the 85 grain TSX and the 80 grain TTSX and have been disappointed at their consistency. I also tried the 90 grain Sciroccos and could not tame them what so ever.

Any real field experience with other premium bullets out there for this caliber?

Thanks,

CH
Old 03-25-2011, 11:42 AM

Anything barnes, hands down. I sold my .243 but a couple friends of mine shoot the 85 gr ttsx and it's pretty amazing for a little pill.
Old 03-25-2011, 11:43 AM

What issues have you had with the TTSX?
Old 03-25-2011, 11:56 AM

The 85 grain TSX and the 80 grain TTSX did not group "Consistently" from day to day. When I was developing loads for these two bullets and things would go hay wire, I would always shoot a 3 shot volley with the Sierra's to make sure it wasn't the action screws or the scope screws that were causing the inconsistency and every time, they were right on where they should be. To me, a bullet has to shoot consistent from today to tomoorow to next year.

CH
Old 03-25-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
The 85 grain TSX and the 80 grain TTSX did not group "Consistently" from day to day. When I was developing loads for these two bullets and things would go hay wire, I would always shoot a 3 shot volley with the Sierra's to make sure it wasn't the action screws or the scope screws that were causing the inconsistency and every time, they were right on where they should be. To me, a bullet has to shoot consistent from today to tomoorow to next year.
It sounds like your loads needed some fine tuning. I haven't had accuracy inconsistencies with either the TSX. or the TTSX, in any of my rifles.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:13 PM

Well, I have played with the seating depth, plus or minus 0.2 grain charge difference on the best load and even primers and could not get the consistency I was looking for. The 80 grain TTSX fared better with 3/8" group that repeated itself twice, but a 5 shot group printed 1 1/2".

I am tempted to try the 95 grain Nosler Partitions next. Just wish Swift would build a 6mm in their A Frame line.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:15 PM

Try the Nosler E-tip or Hornady GMX. I have had the best groups and consistancy with Barnes, with the E-tip a close second. Maybe you will have better luck with the E-tips.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:19 PM

Nosler is is supposed to have a 90 gr accubond coming out. It is on their website and I am really looking forward to trying it out once it is available up here.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:37 PM

I did try the E-Tips but again, shot inconsistent. I think these "Long Bullets" require faster twists. I also predict that if we are "forced" to go to a Green bullet in the future, rifle makers have to o back to the drawing boards to design barrels with faster twists to stabilize "green" bullets

Chukar Hunter

p.s. I heard about the Nosler Acubond as well. It sounds promising, although we have had marginal performance with the 160 grain Accubonds out of my buddy's 7 mag!
Old 03-25-2011, 12:58 PM

Put your game kings through the lungs and be done with it. Lee

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:08 PM

While I respect your choice of using a .243, I would personally hesitate to use that small of a caliber on a elk. While many have died at the hands of a 243 your margin of error is goign to be much, much smaller. The reason they don't have super tough bullets in the 6mm is because if you need them you proabably should be shooting a bigger caliber in my opinion. Don't have to go majorly up to a 300RUM or anything just to a .270, 257 Wby, 7mm in whatever configuration. Just my two cents. Neat though how you really play with groups and powder, I wish I had that kind of patience and time.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukar Hunter View Post
Well, I have played with the seating depth, plus or minus 0.2 grain charge difference on the best load and even primers and could not get the consistency I was looking for. The 80 grain TTSX fared better with 3/8" group that repeated itself twice, but a 5 shot group printed 1 1/2".

I am tempted to try the 95 grain Nosler Partitions next. Just wish Swift would build a 6mm in their A Frame line.
How small are Elk again?

-Billy Molls
Old 03-25-2011, 01:24 PM

This is my wife's rifle and she is the one who will be shooting the Cow Elk. She can not tolerate recoil and that is why I have gotten her a 243W. The whole reasoning behind looking for a "tougher" bullet is for the elk and many an elk have fallen to the 100 grain 6mm soft points. Having said that, I want to cook up a load with a tougher bullet so that if she has a bad angle shot or hits bone, the bullet will still hold together. If everything is perfect and you send that explosive 6mm SGK thru both lungs,even a Grizzly will come down as it has twice for my friend Rick!

CH
Old 03-25-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
This is my wife's rifle and she is the one who will be shooting the Cow Elk. She can not tolerate recoil and that is why I have gotten her a 243W. The whole reasoning behind looking for a "tougher" bullet is for the elk and many an elk have fallen to the 100 grain 6mm soft points. Having said that, I want to cook up a load with a tougher bullet so that if she has a bad angle shot or hits bone, the bullet will still hold together. If everything is perfect and you send that explosive 6mm SGK thru both lungs,even a Grizzly will come down as it has twice for my friend Rick!

CH
And 1 1/2" groups are more than adequate. My point.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-25-2011, 01:51 PM

IMO, your loads seem accurate enough for any distance you would want to shoot an elk with a .243
Old 03-25-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:

Sounds to me like your load is ready to go hunting...it's a sporter weight rifle launching a game bullet designed for penetrating, you're in good shape.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
How many powders did you try? Is the barrel a very light contour that heats up quickly? I myself only use three shot groups for my big game rifles, if three shots doesn't get the job done on a game animal, a person needs more range time.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:20 PM

I've found Barnes 6mm TSX copper bullets very poor in accuracy, from a rifle built expressly for accuracy. Just about any copper-bonded lead bullet brand can put 8 out of 8 shots on a dime at 100 meters in quiet conditions. With the Barnes , there's a 50/50 chance of even hitting a basketball at the same range with the same rifle, regardless or seating depth or powder charge. It's freaky. Huge amounts of copper deposit seem to get smeared in the barrel and throat too.

That being said, a 243 for elk is really to be avoided unless you're so bored and such an expert that you have to push the envelope that far. Anyone at that point however should consider using a spear.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:40 PM

Default 6mm bullet

well i got 1/4 at 100 yrds groups with 100 grns speer btsp with 38.5 grns of h414 with rem 9 1/2 primers and winchester cases,i use it for our uk deer ,atb steve
Old 03-25-2011, 04:51 PM

But some will ring their hands over the need for 1/2" groups to hit a basket ball sized target at 250 yards.

-Billy Molls
Old 03-25-2011, 05:44 PM

I shoot a rem 700 vls in 6mm caliber, and have had greatest success with hornady's SST in 95 gain, i can group with-in 3/4 of an inch at 200 yards, and i find the 95 grain heavy enough for deer, moose and elk as i have haevested all three animals with my 6. this is just my personal prefference though, I have two 6mm's and the other one just dosen't agree with hornady bullets, though i only have a 27 round count through it. good luck with your loads, and good luck hunting.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
I have a tuned 100 grain Sierra Game King load (touching repetaed groups) for my 243W and have already taken three deer with it, but would like to use a "tougher" bullet for this caliber as my wife is due for a Cow elk draw this year. Tried the Barnes, both the 85 grain TSX and the 80 grain TTSX and have been disappointed at their consistency. I also tried the 90 grain Sciroccos and could not tame them what so ever.

Any real field experience with other premium bullets out there for this caliber?

Thanks,

CH
My experience with the TSX has been very good. 0.75 moa 4 shot groups with my very first load. This was consistent over several range sessions. I'm hoping for slightly better with a little tweaking, but if not, I can live with it.
The rifle has a twist rate of 9.25. How does that compare to yours?

That bullet accounted for two very dead deer this past fall, and based on those two kills, I'd feel confident taking a cow elk under 200 yards.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horse_men View Post
Nosler is is supposed to have a 90 gr accubond coming out. It is on their website and I am really looking forward to trying it out once it is available up here.
I've wondered why the Accubond has been so highly anticipated when Hornady has had the 85gr Interbond for quite some time now. As far as I can see they are essentially based on the same technology and the Interbond shows better B.C. as well. Thinking of trying them out next year...
Old 03-25-2011, 06:38 PM

Quote:

Thanks,

CH
x2 Barnes TSX From A 257 WBY of mine that I Sold had disapointing results.

Nosler this year just came out with a 90 Grain Accubond Bullet for the .24 caliber cartridges.I'd try them in your 243 Win!
Old 03-25-2011, 06:40 PM

for a factory round..... 95grain winchesters xp3s...... give them a whirl..
Old 03-25-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
95 Grain partitions are what I use out of my 240 WBY for deer,but now it might be 90 grain accubonds!
Old 03-25-2011, 06:51 PM

Berger makes a 115gr. VLD that looks interesting although they recommend at least 1in8 twist.

http://www.bergerbullets.com/Product...20Bullets.html
Old 03-26-2011, 09:11 PM

Guys;

Thanyou all for your input. There is no question that a 1.5 MOA accuracy at 100 yards is more than adequate for hunting. Like the oldl JOC used to say:
There is no split hair accuracy required for hunting.

Having siad that, I want to quote what my other idol, Bob Hagel has said about hand loading:

The whole idea behind hand loading is to come up with a better round than factory ammo.

There is a HUGE comfort feeling when you know you can place your shot where YOU want and not what the RIFLE decides. Yes, I have gotten sub MOA and sometimes 1.5 MOA groups with the same Barnes loads, but to me as a hand loader, this is not acceptable. I shoot a Sako A-7 that constantly prints 1/2" with the SGK's and I expect to see the same with other bullets or they have no place on my bench.

I think the Copper bullets, being so tough in nature, are not pliable enough when they travel thru the barrel and can shoot more erratic when they leave the muzzle. There seems to be more "Spoilers" with solid coppers than with lead core bullets.

I actually tried TWO different Barnes bullets (140 TSX & 150 MRX) in my other tack driver which is a 270WSM. I could never tame either of those bullets and trust me, I tried seating depth experiments, 4831, 4350 and Magpro powders and even different primers. What bothered me THE MOST with the groups shot using those bullets was that the groups would not even land in the same quadrant! I yanked both. If someone is interested, PM me and I will send you my Powerpoint report (In Search Of Stout).

CH
Old 03-26-2011, 09:29 PM

Quote:
I think the Copper bullets, being so tough in nature, are not pliable enough when they travel thru the barrel and can shoot more erratic when they leave the muzzle. There seems to be more "Spoilers" with solid coppers than with lead core bullets.
Then why do my rifles, as well as many other people's rifles, shoot such consistent groups with the TTSX, and the TSX? If that theory was correct, everyone should have the same issues with fliers, when using the TSX/TTSX bullets. More likely, either you just haven't found the right load combination, or your rifle just doesn't shoot the Barnes bullets accurately.

Quote:
I actually tried TWO different Barnes bullets (140 TSX & 150 MRX) in my other tack driver which is a 270WSM.
Personally, I have found light for caliber TSX/TTSX bullets to be the most accurate in my rifles. I would have tried the 130gr TTSX/TSX myself.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 03-26-2011 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Guys;

CH
I don't agree with this. I have set up 5 different rifles in 5 different cartridges and every one of them is sub MOA. No fliers, no inconsistency and devastating performance on game.

I shoot the 85 grain TSX in a .243 Win and that thing will shoot 1/2" groups every time. Rarely do I have to try more than 1 powder. Only twice have I had to use more than 2.

It's not the bullets. It's the gun.