Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-28-2019, 08:47 AM

Default Christensen Arms rifles

Anyone out there own and shoot them, have been looking at them and thinking that's my next purchase, either the mesa or the ridgeline, have never had anything in 6.5 and am leaning towards a 6.5 PRC as it seems to be about the middle of the road, hotter than the creedmore but not as hot as the 26 nosler and the 6.5-300, anyway any input god bad or indifferent would be appreciated,

Thanks
Ed

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post
Anyone out there own and shoot them, have been looking at them and thinking that's my next purchase, either the mesa or the ridgeline, have never had anything in 6.5 and am leaning towards a 6.5 PRC as it seems to be about the middle of the road, hotter than the creedmore but not as hot as the 26 nosler and the 6.5-300, anyway any input god bad or indifferent would be appreciated,

Thanks
Ed
I've got my eye on that exact same rifle
Old 11-28-2019, 10:52 AM

Have one in 6.5PRC. My favourite rifle. Only complaint is stock, tough to get good cheek weld with a 50mm objective scope. I would go with the traverse ( has raised comb stock ). I am putting mine into a manners EH1 stock and putting a DBM on it.

Accuracy is same as my creedmore 1/2moa or better with factory and reloads. Wife dumped moose at 425 few days ago with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-28-2019, 12:26 PM

I’ve had 3, one was a 22-250, and 6.5-284, and the last was a 6.5 Creedmoor. All were very good guns and very well built. The 22-250 was a 1/14 twist and wouldn’t stabilize heavier bullets, but I kind of new that going. The 6.5-284 had a new style detach mag which turned out to be terrible and wouldn’t feed and all. The gun was still very accurate though. The place I bought I back gave me my money back on it though. The 6.5cm was the last one I had and was an awesome rifle but I am a detach mag guy so I sold it. Even though it was one of my fav rifles I’ve owned and very accurate. So I really don’t have any negatives about them other than that silly carbon fibre drop mag set up they had was a fail. Buy the 6.5 prc you’ll be happy.
Old 11-29-2019, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldedw View Post

Thanks
Ed
Got one this spring and I'm impressed with the gun and the chambering.
By loading only 57gr of powder I should get pretty good barrel life out of it.
It starts surpassing the 7 mag for energy and drop at 200 yards.
Recoil is best described as less than mild with low muzzle jump so that a impact on a 300 yard gong can be seen.
Old 11-30-2019, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
Got one this spring and I'm impressed with the gun and the chambering.
By loading only 57gr of powder I should get pretty good barrel life out of it.
It starts surpassing the 7 mag for energy and drop at 200 yards.
Recoil is best described as less than mild with low muzzle jump so that a impact on a 300 yard gong can be seen.
That’s the PRC?
Old 11-30-2019, 07:30 AM

I have a ridgeline in 280 Ackley.
While I enjoy this rifle now, it took some work to get it to this point.

I found the bolt lift exceptionally stiff so replaced the firing pin spring with a Tubb CS spring. What an improvement!!

I bedded the action and first 2" of barrel in Marine Tex epoxy and watched my groups become more consistent.

I replaced the dinky little fluted bolt knob, and the steel bolt shroud with alloy replacement parts from PT&G.

Finally I had the "CHRISTENSEN" logo bead blasted off and the floor plate Gunkoted black.

My OCD fully satisfied, I'm now very happy with my Ridgeline!
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-

Last edited by TangoKilo; 11-30-2019 at 07:47 AM.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
That’s the PRC?
Yes. The only problem is finding brass to reload.
I can find factory loads but like everything else the states gets it first and we have to wait a while.
Old 11-30-2019, 07:50 AM

Brass for the 6.5 PRC is EASY to source in Canada.

Give Gary at Bighorn Sales a call.
He has several different brands, ADG, Hornady Etc....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
Yes. The only problem is finding brass to reload.
I can find factory loads but like everything else the states gets it first and we have to wait a while.
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 11-30-2019, 07:54 AM

This year I've been packing a Christensen Arms Ridgeline chambered in 28 Nosler. I haven't done a pile of shooting with it yet, but it puts factory 160 grain Accubonds easily under 1". It'll be interesting to see what some tinkering on the reloading bench will produce.
It's a bit long if you hunt from a blind, but I like the way it points. It was a pleasure to pack this fall in the hills hunting Elk. That said, in 2.5 months of hard hunting I never pulled the trigger this fall, but Camp Wainwright is next week and I'll be packing the Ridgeline.

Craig

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
Old 12-17-2019, 08:18 AM

Anyone know of a dealer with a decent stock in Alberta? I’d be interested in a 270 but have been told could be a 4 month wait to order one..
Old 12-17-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clancy View Post
Anyone know of a dealer with a decent stock in Alberta? I’d be interested in a 270 but have been told could be a 4 month wait to order one..
Prophet River has a few rifles in stock. Sylvestre Sports had the most rifles in stock that I know of, as to the 270win, it seems to be a cartridge that most dealers don't stock.
Old 12-17-2019, 02:03 PM

Mesa 7 RM bought at sylvestre last summer. 0.466 3 shot group Barnes factory 150 ttsx within the first 15 shots, cold clean POI same as every other shot. very easy to clean. Love it. Nothing at all I can find wrong with it. Bedding on mine is good, but others (earlier production) have had to redo it.

ATRS low rings, Burris xtr bases, nightforce shv 3-10 MOAR, cabelas neoprene scope cover, sling : 9.5 lbs loaded ready to go. Took the brake off. Recoil is not intimidating at all due to stock design and good recoil pad. Excellent balance.

If you want a lightweight mountain rig go ridgeline and 6.5 PRC...they are made for each other.
Old 12-17-2019, 02:11 PM

There was a big sale at Italian sporting goods in on the dec 14 .ridgelines 2359 and classics for 2800 or so almost a grand off if I remember,great store with great deals and they may still honor there sale prices,7mm rm,28 nosler,33 nosler and many more.

I buy from all over Canada if it's available and they do ship fast.I do like many other stores,but I hate to wait.

2 on sale are 28 Nosler in a mesa and a classic the mesa is real good price and the classic 1000 off at 2899,cheapest you will find brand new. Ask for Victor

JD

Last edited by JD848; 12-17-2019 at 02:32 PM.
Old 12-17-2019, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Prophet River has a few rifles in stock. Sylvestre Sports had the most rifles in stock that I know of, as to the 270win, it seems to be a cartridge that most dealers don't stock.
We stock quite a few but they sell out quickly. Another load in soon. Be glad to get a 270 coming for you.