Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-29-2015, 09:26 AM

Default Terrance and Smithers report

I had a job interview in Prince George so took the advantage to continue onto Terrace. I tried to make it there 5 years ago but the RV broke down in Smithers so I was forced to fish the Bulkley...

This time I made it Terrace and spent the first day and half just exploring the Skeena and talking to fisher people. My first day fishing yielded nothing...
So, I went to the tackle shops next. Went to 2 and really didn't get any expertise but on the 3rd shop I found the right guy. He knew a ton about fishing the area and he asked me what sinking line weight I was using. I learned a lot about grains per foot...

I have a 9 ft, 10 wt rod so it is stout but under-gunned in casting distance compared to the spey rods. This guy made up a custom sinking line for me that would work best for the rod I had. The weights was more than twice what I brought from Alberta!

Next day, 2 pinks landed right away. Lost 3 more fish and 2 of them were quite big. Unfortunately I lost my custom line to river on the last fish. Fish took it and went around a rock...somehow and I did everything I could but lost the entire rig.

Another bad news is that the tackle shop I got it at was closed the next 2 days. So, I took what I learned and got some bulk sinking line quite similar the custom one I got. By the afternoon I was back on the river and landed my first Skeena sockeye. Great fight! Fresh looking fish too.

Next day I left the Terrace area and fished the very quiet Skeena IV classified waters. Nice runs! No people. I was back on sockeye again and had a very memorable day. By that afternoon I was pretty tired from all the hiking.

Late in the day I started back down hwy 16 and went to Smithers to fish the Bulkley. I have some experience as I said before but I found some great new water. Paid off! Landed and released around 10 fish. Last one was my first steelhead around 7 lbs. No monster for sure but a fish I will not forget...

What a place to explore...what an experience. I'm humbled and now dreaming of my next trip back there. I can't use "epic" as I used that already this year. How about "blown away"

Pics:
(Quality is not great. Just used the iPhone 5)

The tree tunnel at Ferry Island

Common spot on Ferry Island

Poked around the Copper river as well

If my memory serves me correctly, the artist is from the Netherlands and has decorated the paths around Ferry Island

The Skeena is a power house river at times...

Skeena on the classified section

Visit the airport by Smithers and take a look at this giant...
Weighed in at just over 1000 lbs...took down upwards of 30 cattle and some weighed 1500 lbs...incredible!

First Skeena sockeye

Another sockeye

Cheers!

Last edited by SNAPFisher; 08-29-2015 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-29-2015, 09:39 AM
Banned

Nice Pictures.

Love fishing Terrace and the surrounding areas on the Skeena. I have been fishing with spin and glows and have caught lots of salmon over 24 lbs. I typically stop over for three days when I am on my way to Prince Rupert to ocean fish.

I will have to try in with a fly rod some time! Which flies were you using and what was the name of the shop that gave you the great advice?
Old 08-29-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkivory View Post
I will have to try in with a fly rod some time! Which flies were you using and what was the name of the shop that gave you the great advice?
Northcoast Anglers Ltd. Talk to the owner/manager. He knows his stuff. Gave me quite a few stories on guys that he turned trips around for and he totally did the same for me.

Best flies were also from his shop. Smaller flies like maybe an inch tops. Nothing special really - yellow hackle - red or pink body. Purple hackle with pink crystal flash body. You can certainly carry a lot more flies with that size rather than the usual bulky monsters that you see at most shops. Also just a gamagatzu (sp?) red colored hook with whatever yarn color you like. Steelhead were hitting that with a light pink yarn. The guy next to me landed 3 the same morning I did well. Biggest one was 18 lbs.... everyone cleared the run for him to land it.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:32 PM

Kerry and Alex at Oscar's in Smithers have an absurd amount of knowledge of fishing from Burns Lake west. I highly recommend anyine who travels that way to stop in at Oscar's if needing info and/or gear.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:27 PM

SNAP how do you manage to always get away for these awesome fish'n trips? Nice job bud.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
SNAP how do you manage to always get away for these awesome fish'n trips? Nice job bud.
Good question. My contract was cancelled April-15th. I have been looking really hard prior to that and since but nothing yet. So, every once in awhile I look at the bucket list and start checking them off....as long as I can do them fairly cheap. It's like forced retirement

Last edited by SNAPFisher; 08-31-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:32 PM

Nice salmon!
Old 08-31-2015, 01:52 PM

Im there on wednesday morning. Cant wait!
Old 08-31-2015, 03:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Northcoast Anglers Ltd. Talk to the owner/manager. He knows his stuff. Gave me quite a few stories on guys that he turned trips around for and he totally did the same for me.

Best flies were also from his shop. Smaller flies like maybe an inch tops. Nothing special really - yellow hackle - red or pink body. Purple hackle with pink crystal flash body. You can certainly carry a lot more flies with that size rather than the usual bulky monsters that you see at most shops. Also just a gamagatzu (sp?) red colored hook with whatever yarn color you like. Steelhead were hitting that with a light pink yarn. The guy next to me landed 3 the same morning I did well. Biggest one was 18 lbs.... everyone cleared the run for him to land it.
Thanks SNAPFisher! Greatly appreciated.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
Im there on wednesday morning. Cant wait!
Coho were arriving daily. You will hit it at a good time.

I wish you the best of luck. Report back
Old 09-01-2015, 04:16 PM

Thanks for sharing, nice pics!
Yeah, how do you do all these trips anyway?
Rockstar.
Cheers, Ayr.