Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-16-2015, 11:35 AM

Default Personnal Watercraft

I'm looking into buying a craft to float the Bow around Calgary. Also planning a trip or two to the Old Man river next year. I'm leaning toward a one man pontoon style boat, but not ruling out a canoe or kayak. Any preferences? Is one easier to fish from than another? Any disadvantages. Any help is appreciated.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:21 PM

Default Consider the wind

I found that in a pontoon boat I got blown around a lot, made it tough to stay straight or in a specific area. never tried a kayak.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:35 PM

Just make sure to get oars as they are invaluable in times of need and much safer on big water. I have every type of water craft you can imagine it really depends on whether you plan to fish by yourself or not as even some of the pontoon boats are not easily man handled ie outcast quad series although I think they no longer make them. Take a look at the new stealth pro or scout models
Old 08-17-2015, 06:58 AM

Okay thanks. Still leaning toward a pontoon.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:52 PM

I have spent my entire summer on a good split of pontoon (~75hours) and kayaks (~150hrs). Pontoons drift in the wind less than a kayak, but a pontoon you have your foot flippers to help you stay in position, but you have to put down your rod and paddle with the kayak.

MOBILITY:
Strong edge to kayak. The pontoon is big and difficult to move around. Sure it disassembles, but then there is a long re-assembly. From completely dissassembled, it probably takes 30 minutes to rebuild. If you have a truck or SUV, the kayak fits on the roof. Fully built pontoon and kayak are about the same weight.

Once in the water, you can cover serious water in a kayak. It is much more difficult in a pontoon.

STABILITY:
Definite edge to pontoon. The pontoon is almost impossible to tip. You can barrel through almost all the rapids on the lower bow river with almost no concerns (except for hitting rocks). You cannot really fish from a kayak on a river, but you can use it to punt from location to location very quickly.

PAYLOAD:
Edge to pontoon. There are pockets and a rear platform on the pontoon. That being said, I had no problem fitting a day's worth of gear on the kayak. But with the increased stability I would say the edge goes to the pontoon.

COMFORT:
Tie. I prefer the kayak, but I can easily see how some people would have problems sitting with their legs out. Also, paddling in the kayak is much more natural and efficient, but it takes more practice to 'get-it' over the pontoon.

SYNOPSIS:
If I were to fish exclusively still-water, I would hands-down choose the kayak. You can cover serious water.

If I were to fish exclusively rivers, I would definitely choose the pontoon.

If I were to choose, I would probably go for the kayak, but I really like exploring. I certainly would not give up my pontoon, because I find them both useful. Than being said, I would probably recommend a pontoon to a novice.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:31 PM

I'll go with the pontoon ... I think lol.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:02 PM

I recently picked up a 12 foot Hobie Pro Angler kayak and I love it, easily my favorite way to fish now. I have a small aluminum boat/motor and actually haven't even taken it out since I bought the kayak. It has the "Mirage drive system" which allows you to pedal with your feet instead of paddle, awesome for trolling or countering the wind. It's almost 3 feet wide and stable enough to stand in for fly fishing too. I've yet to float a river in it but shouldn't have any problem unless it's less that 18" deep. They're not cheap but in my opinion worth every penny, gets me out fishing more often that's for sure.

Last edited by AdverseCity; 08-18-2015 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 05:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
I have spent my entire summer on a good split of pontoon (~75hours) and kayaks (~150hrs). Pontoons drift in the wind less than a kayak, but a pontoon you have your foot flippers to help you stay in position, but you have to put down your rod and paddle with the kayak.

MOBILITY:
Strong edge to kayak. The pontoon is big and difficult to move around. Sure it disassembles, but then there is a long re-assembly. From completely dissassembled, it probably takes 30 minutes to rebuild. If you have a truck or SUV, the kayak fits on the roof. Fully built pontoon and kayak are about the same weight.

Once in the water, you can cover serious water in a kayak. It is much more difficult in a pontoon.

STABILITY:
Definite edge to pontoon. The pontoon is almost impossible to tip. You can barrel through almost all the rapids on the lower bow river with almost no concerns (except for hitting rocks). You cannot really fish from a kayak on a river, but you can use it to punt from location to location very quickly.

PAYLOAD:
Edge to pontoon. There are pockets and a rear platform on the pontoon. That being said, I had no problem fitting a day's worth of gear on the kayak. But with the increased stability I would say the edge goes to the pontoon.

COMFORT:
Tie. I prefer the kayak, but I can easily see how some people would have problems sitting with their legs out. Also, paddling in the kayak is much more natural and efficient, but it takes more practice to 'get-it' over the pontoon.

SYNOPSIS:
If I were to fish exclusively still-water, I would hands-down choose the kayak. You can cover serious water.

If I were to fish exclusively rivers, I would definitely choose the pontoon.

If I were to choose, I would probably go for the kayak, but I really like exploring. I certainly would not give up my pontoon, because I find them both useful. Than being said, I would probably recommend a pontoon to a novice.

I don't know where this info actually comes from but it's no problem to fish a river from a kayak or stand in the current.

And as far as payload goes, really , the pontoon. Come on my kayak has a weight capacity of 600lbs. Rear tank we'll centre access to inside of the hull as well as access on the bow. So payload hand down to the kayak. Stability can't really tip my kayak either, however you may fall out of it.

It sounds to me like the above author has not tried the newer generation of fishing kayaks. A lot has changed in 15 yrs, he'll even in the last 2. Other points made for the kayak are spot on tho.
I vote kayak.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Yaker View Post
I don't know where this info actually comes from but it's no problem to fish a river from a kayak or stand in the current.

And as far as payload goes, really , the pontoon. Come on my kayak has a weight capacity of 600lbs. Rear tank we'll centre access to inside of the hull as well as access on the bow. So payload hand down to the kayak. Stability can't really tip my kayak either, however you may fall out of it.

It sounds to me like the above author has not tried the newer generation of fishing kayaks. A lot has changed in 15 yrs, he'll even in the last 2. Other points made for the kayak are spot on tho.
I vote kayak.
My information is anecdotal---just my experience.

My experience is from a brand new Pelican Strike 120X Angler Kayak and Outcast PAC 900 Pontoon.

I stand corrected on the payload. You are right, the kayak can carry more stuff. I found, however, that most of the stuff was inaccessible while fishing, or even on the water.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scel View Post
My information is anecdotal---just my experience.

My experience is from a brand new Pelican Strike 120X Angler Kayak and Outcast PAC 900 Pontoon.

I stand corrected on the payload. You are right, the kayak can carry more stuff. I found, however, that most of the stuff was inaccessible while fishing, or even on the water.
I've recently been looking at fishing kayaks. Have to be careful with payload, as they are not all the same. For example, the Ascends are typically 350lbs, versus the Wilderness ones that I've looked at that ranged from 350 up to 500lbs. The two that I actually tried out on the water, the Jacksons and Riots are in the 300-350 lb range too I believe. I'd maybe call it a draw.

I'm not sold on a fishing kayak for my own purpose, and am still considering spending a lot more to get into a small boat (maybe a Porta Bote) for stillwater. Taking my kids out with me is a big factor, and that's just not doable on a pontoon or kayak. I feel for ya though... not sure what route I'd go if that wasn't in my equation.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:32 PM

Heck get one of each you can't have too many boats for different applications I have more than I am willing to mention... in case the wife reads this and still see new ones I want and use them all every year at different times and places. Hard to beat a yak for getting to out of the way places (non motor accessible ie jets or gators) yet its hard to beat a kick boat for hands on control while fly fishing at a walk in lake with fins on for control..... the point being only you can decide which is better for your type of fishing. If you can find a buddy who can row properly down a bank a drift boat is hard to beat on the bow however there are a lot more access points for a pontoon. Keep in mind you will want oars on the Bow for safety's sake
Old 08-20-2015, 06:36 AM

I have a Scadden Rampage pontoon boat that has a class V whitewater rating and a 1,300 pound capacity. It weighs under 40 pounds and fits in an airline specific 32x12x20 roller duffel. Great for fishing the Bow. Never been in a kayak.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:18 AM

Get the pontoon and get some chest waders so you can stop places easily and fish areas without sotting in the boat
Old 08-22-2015, 11:47 AM

I bought an outcast Stealth pro. I love it. Only used it twice this year. A couple minor things though. 1. I'm 5'8" and when I row it's very close to hitting my knees. 2. My ass hurts after 12 hours of sitting. May happen on any pontoon though. IGS is unreal, for attaching anchors and such. Material, is durable. Not concerned at all down a river, yet to do it though.

I can't find a bag to store it in however. Never packs down as it used to from the factory. Any ideas would be great.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:34 AM

Default Love my yak!!

I bought a 12 foot recreational kayak (not an angling specific model) and installed a Scotty fly rod holder just in front of the cockpit. Works awesome on still water and slow rivers. A bonus is being able to get out with other recreational yakkers as well, just for a paddle. Install a light anchor system, and you're completely ready to go!
Old 09-02-2015, 08:11 AM

Default Kayak

I used to use a water skeeter pontoon boat, very comfortable, but a pain if you actually break it down and reassemble at the water, so as a result always kept it assembled for the whole season, this year I purchased Kayaks for myself and the family, I'm converted, we have spent many hours on the Red deer river this season, up to eight hours at a time and we are planning a overnight adventure as well, for myself I got the Ascend FS10 sit in model and Cheryl got the FS12T sit on, both are amazing and easy to use, we had no Kayaking experience till this summer, but look forward to many years of enjoying them, for the kids (10 and 7) I picked up the inexpensive Pelicans at Canadian tire for $219.00 each on sale and then added rod holders, and paddle holders, for about fifty bucks I converted these two kids kayaks into fishing units, the kids love them and have no problem handling the gentle waters of the Red deer River south of Joffre, and the Goldeye and Walleye fishing has been amazing, all four kayaks fit easily in the back of my truck, takes up as much room as one pontoon boat. We also plan on future trips on the Bow river and the Clearwater.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:40 AM

Default love this boat...selling one of them

I bought two of these boats. Extremely stable and the rep is local to Calgary.
It can be tricky to get to your gear stashed behind your seat but that's not unique to this boat:

http://www.bowriverboats.com/ffo-240...iver-boat.html

It comes with a backpack and the oars too.

PM me if you're interested in buying one of the two boats I have.
Old 09-02-2015, 07:50 PM

I've been back and forth on this since I originally posted. I think I'm leaning toward a kayak. I used to paddle white water years ago, but never fished from one.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:05 PM

I'm out of town for another 13 days but if you can wait I'd be more than happy to let you try out my Hobie PA12. I wasn't sure I'd like it but took the plunge and I'm so glad I did. I think if you try out a quality fishing kayak that'll make the decision for you.