Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-04-2015, 08:24 PM
Banned

Default Forestry trunk west of edson

I know a lot do no like to reply on this forum in fear that people are going to fish their secret holes

But I am simply asking if anyone has been out fishing the streams near edson well just west of edson on forestry trunk road
I simply just love the area and the beautiful forests out there

My plan is to start by driving just west of edson on yellow head exit onto highway 47 south pass by the mcleod river bridge keep heading stop at the embarrass maybe for a bit im guessing not holding fish and too low?

Then head towards elk river road and try the elk River (alberta) obviously

What are your guys opinions on this due to this year with streams being low

This trip is in end of August camping along the way for 3 nights
Old 08-04-2015, 08:27 PM
Banned

Even thinking of the Pembina in this area
Old 08-04-2015, 10:27 PM

The Pembina has quite a few smaller bull trout, but thats the only water body Ive fished in that area. Its a good time! Other than that, pretty much all the creeks around there have decent fishing. I hope this gives you a little bit of help.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:59 AM
Banned

Thank you that does help, I'm thinking I need to buy a backroad map of alberta anyone have any suggestions whwre to get on for that area
Old 08-05-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesilva View Post
Thank you that does help, I'm thinking I need to buy a backroad map of alberta anyone have any suggestions whwre to get on for that area
Please buy one finally. It will answer most of your questions. You can buy one at the Fishin Hole and I think maybe even Canadian Tire. They are not that uncommon. Get the Backroads Map Book, it has lots of info for camping, hunting, fishing, hiking, rafting and so on.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:16 AM
Banned

Getting the book this week going to pair it up with the list of tribs of the mcleod off albertan trout highway and go explore for 3 days
Old 08-05-2015, 10:05 AM
Banned

Honestly not a fan of the Backroads Map Books at all,I find the scale is just far too small(1:250,000 iirc?) to be of much usefulness for the type of info I bought it for....that being actually identifying BACK ROADS!!
It's "ok" I spose for general navigation,but the scale and detail is near useless IMHO for finding those off the beaten track trails,haul roads etc.,and in my experience,not very accurate at times as well.
If you're looking for an excellent map of that area,search for "Patch Map".
It's more like your typical,fold-up style of road map,but in 10x more detail then BRMB,with latest editions identifying the newest haul and lease roads etc.
If I'm not mistaken,it's more like 1:25,000 scale,so yea,10x better,if not more?Im not at home right now,so can't say for sure?
I have the Patch Map for just north of the area that your interested in,which pretty much covers the area north of 16 from approx Edson west to BC,then north to GP,back east to Whitecourt iirc?
The next map south is what you'll want,which I think goes from 16 south to about Sundre perhaps,pretty much everything west of Hwy 22?
Again,it's a foldable roadmap format,but it's also laminated or some sort of water resistant material?Its a bit difficult to find,maybe try MapTown or similar store?Ive seen them in the FastGas store down in the valley in Hinton,I honestly have never seen it anywhere else,but again,its 10x the map that BRMB ever dreamt of being IMHO.I work throughout the Edson-Hinton-FC-Whitecourt block mainly,and it's worth it's weight in gold as far as I'm concerned.They sell for $20,which the truck I drive earns every 5 min, lol....so it's easily paid for itself 1000x over,saving me countless hours in shortcuts and lost time.

Last edited by grinr; 08-05-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old 08-05-2015, 10:50 AM

Default Forestry trunk west of edson

Thanks for the tip, Grinr. Will keep an eye out for that one.

Update: paper maps are listed here:
http://skybase.ca/oilfield-maps
and locations where their products are available are shown here:
http://skybase.ca/where-to-buy

Last edited by Stinky Buffalo; 08-05-2015 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
Thanks for the tip, Grinr. Will keep an eye out for that one.

Update: paper maps are listed here:
http://skybase.ca/oilfield-maps
and locations where their products are available are shown here:
http://skybase.ca/where-to-buy
Yep,that's the one(s) Stinky,they'll getcha around in the patch with confidence pretty much anywhere west'o the 5th from CGY to Zama.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:39 AM

Awesome! Looking forward to getting my hands on them.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:55 PM

Backroads map book is good for starters but do NOT rely on it. Roads and access points are totally skewed.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:02 PM

Hi guys , after stoping at the Fasgas in Hinton last week and not finding the map for south of Hinton I decided to order one of these patch maps online. Somehow I ordered two of the but they gave me 50% off my order which was ok and the they charged $15 postage and tax.
Anyhow if anyone wants one I can part with it for the $20 it is suppose to sell for.
My major complaint about he map is that it is a ROAD map, the water bodies and streams are hard to see on it and if you do not know where to find the water body you want you may be out of luck. On the plus side it is double sided and maps most of the foothills and mountain areas, and it is a fold out so you do not have to flip pages to see where the road you are on goes to.

I am in Edmonton and am only interested in meeting up to make the transaction.
Pm me if interested.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:18 PM

If you're going fish the trunk road anywhere in Alberta I highly recommend the FTR fishing Bible....

http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.c...oduct&se=23034
Old 09-01-2015, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesilva View Post
I,m from the area and know that country well.I was into the backroads maps 100 years ago but now if you have a smartphone it's tough to beat google earth. Next best thing to being in a plane.
Funny some one on here mentioned B.M's trout highway book.earlier this summer i had just bought the book and went and tent camped along the banks of the Mcloed up off the tri creeks road. I'm reading it and he talks about this one section of the Mcloed that is his favorite... Well turns out i was in that exact area...😛
Fishing was pretty good but they were all pretty small. Mostly bows and mountain whitefish. Had a couple whitefish keepers but they were full of worms.
So after that it was catch and release only. I quad hunt hike and xcountry ski the area. Some cool rugged country for sure and lots of little places to camp.